30 day "grace" period to cancel?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DusAndCour
New Poster

30 day "grace" period to cancel?

We just moved and signed up with directv and we were told we could get at&t internet at our house. I even asked the rep to double check our address and make sure. We were promised 50mbs for $40 monthly. A week after our directv instal our rep called and said we could only get HughesNet. I know many people who have and hate HughesNet and now I know why. I am a student and mom of one and my boyfriend works swing shifts so he is home half the week. We need reliable fast insternet to stream videos, Netflix, play music for our daughter, and do homework. We were promised we would get high speeds with HughesNet and that is a lie. Also, resetting data every day for the first month is a dirty trick.
We have had HughesNet since August 2. Can I still cancel and not be charged $400?
5 REPLIES 5
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There is technically no 30 day cancelation period anymore with Hughesnet... They got rid of that clause in the user contract several years ago.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@DusAndCour wrote:
 Also, resetting data every day for the first month is a dirty trick.

Actually, it's a courtesy, as is alluded to in the Welcome email.  

So if I try to cancel and explain that we have only had service for a week and we were told Hughesnet was the only service we could get, if  I reference the 30 day grace period from the welcome email will that help at all? 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I think @Amanda, @Liz, or @Aedan  will be able to answer this.  Hang in there until they get to your post....

Good morning DusAndCour, 

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. We don't have a 30-day trial/grace period. Can you please forward us this welcome e-mail that references a 30-day trial? Please send your copy to communitysupport@hughes.com

It certainly is possible to stream Netflix and media in general. I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics and see that the HughesNet modem can communicate fine with the satellite and is getting well over 30Mbps in download speeds.

According to Netflix, 3Mbps is needed to stream in SD quality. We also offer the Video Data Saver to help you conserve data while you stream, you can read more about it here:

http://support.hughesnet.com/support-articles/what-is-video-data-saver

If you feel you aren't getting at least the 25 Mbps your Gen 5 plan offers, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 25 MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL in our Tech Support board it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!