cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing question

jliston924
New Poster

Billing question

I'm new to Hughesnet and wasn't aware that bills are generated the same day the money is taken out of my account. There is no option to pay for your unseen bill with a different bank account or credit card. Does anyone else have an issue with this? Any problems with bill being different than what you expected to pay? This is a first for me.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Billing question

Hughesnet generates a bill the same day they take money out of my account so I have no options on how I want to pay it. 

That's right; that's how HughesNet and others do it.  However, there used to be another option for HughesNet billing that allowed you to do manual payments with the account source of your choosing.  If that's still available, you may need to change to that. 

EDIT:  you may want to call  866-347-3292 and talk to Billing; they can explain the options available and change your option. 

View solution in original post

maratsade

"Why isn't there an option to turn off Autopay? "

There is. You need to call customer service and speak to Billing. 

11 REPLIES 11
maratsade

That billing system is called autopay and it's a common, accepted practice with many, if not all, ISPs and other companies that provide services. 

HughesNet used to have invoice billing and you could make manual payments to that, which allowed you to choose your payment method (card, bank account) every time you made a payment, but I'm not sure if that's still available.  I'm hoping a rep, such as @Liz  or @Remy , will respond to this and clarify.  

jliston924
New Poster

I'm very familiar with autopay however with other companies I receive a bill a few eeks prior to the due date. Hughesnet generates a bill the same day they take money out of my account so I have no options on how I want to pay it. 

maratsade

Hughesnet generates a bill the same day they take money out of my account so I have no options on how I want to pay it. 

That's right; that's how HughesNet and others do it.  However, there used to be another option for HughesNet billing that allowed you to do manual payments with the account source of your choosing.  If that's still available, you may need to change to that. 

EDIT:  you may want to call  866-347-3292 and talk to Billing; they can explain the options available and change your option. 

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

@jliston924 

It's called effectively managing a positive cash flow, which is extremely important in a high-overhead, high-risk business like ISPs and Telcos, especially ones that are satellite-based.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
jliston924
New Poster

These answers sound like they are coming directly from Hughesnet. No sane consumer would want to have zero control over how and when they pay their bills. I've had multiple accounts from multiple companies and have never experienced anything like this. This is not a question about Autopay. It's a question about why the invoice is generated the same day they take money out of my bank account and why I can't choose which bank account I want to pay said invisible invoice from. Why isn't there an option to turn off Autopay? 

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

I'm a former Operations Manager for a large defense contractor, not HughesNet, but the management issues are no different. I wouldn't expect a layman to understand, nor read the disclaimer underneath my posts.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I'd expect an intelligent person to understand the difference between HughesNet staff and fellow subscribers, read disclaimers, have realistic expectations based on facts and data,  and not spin conspiracy theories or spread misinformation.  Smiley Happy  

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'm a former Operations Manager for a large defense contractor, not HughesNet, but the management issues are no different. I wouldn't expect a layman to understand, nor read the disclaimer underneath my posts.

maratsade

"Why isn't there an option to turn off Autopay? "

There is. You need to call customer service and speak to Billing. 

jliston924
New Poster

Wow, thanks for not helping which is what I thought this forum was all about. It's not my responsibility to read your disclaimer nor do I care. My comment wasn't directed at you specifically and telling me all companies do it this way is inaccurate.  I HAVE spoken to billing and was merely trying to get other opinions from people who subscribe to Hughesnet. No need to reply back. Enjoy your poor internet service and ridiculous customer service as I will be spending my money elsewhere. BTW, having an opinion does not make it a conspiracy theory.