CANCELLATION FOR MISREPRESENTATION

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linesden
New Poster

CANCELLATION FOR MISREPRESENTATION

I had this "service" installed on Saturday, and my usuage meter is still at 100%...care to guess why? Because, like so many others, the "service" doesn't work. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with "tech support" on Sunday, who told me at one point that I needed to turn my television off and back on to "refresh" my netflix (that I use through a Roku). When I asked what that was supposed to do, I couldn't get an answer. The same tech also told me, that my picture was blurry and pixelated because my tv was "too big" (even though it was also pixelated and blurry on my cell phone), and that I may need to wait up to 3 minutes for it to "clear up". The data and speed tests they run are a joke! They will tell you that everything they see on their end shows I have excellent signal, yet my Roku will show downloading at 0 mbps. The final tech I spoke to increased my bandwidth to attempt to get clearer picture, but also admitted I would burn through my data faster, which will leave me at the end of the month with crappy service due to data caps and in the same situation. (Kind of wish that was the biggest problem, since at this point we still have ZERO "service".)  We had multiple Hughesnet salespeople tell us that since all we would be operating would be a single Roku, in one room (sitting next to the modem) that we would have NO ISSUES with the exception of perhaps bad weather; however, it has failed to work since being installed. I don't have the time, or resources, to sit at home and deal with this every single day. We are way too early into this, for it to be a problem, and I can only forsee problems in the future. I want to cancel my service, without any ETF's. If that is not "available" then I will continue with other avenues until I reach the resolution I seek. I will not be locked into a contract, paying for a service I am not receiving.  I was lied to, and Hughesnet mistrepresented themselves, and what they could offer.

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I had this "service" installed on Saturday, and my usuage meter is still at 100%...care to guess why?"

Also because for the first 20 days, your meter refills continuously. This is done as a courtesy so people can update their software without running out of data.

If you need to cancel your account, you can only do it via the customer service phone number.

You will have to pay a $400 fine for cancelling the account. 

I refuse to pay a termination fee for a service that I am not terminating due to any reason other than not receiving said service. The service does not work in my location. Why would I stay and continue to pay, when I am not receiving the actual service?

maratsade

You have not allowed the company (edit: the company reps on this site) time to check why the system may not be working for you and to attempt to make it work for you.  Without this willingness on your part it's likely they will not be willing to let you off the hook for the ETF.   The ETF is stated clearly in the subscriber agreement.

I hear you that your system is not working, but it's likely you will need to work with the reps on this site and run the tests that are required, before they can make a determination on ETF. 

I spent well over an hour on the phone working with tech support and the home advisor team, changing settings, changing bandwidths, resetting every device I own, checking video after video, making sure dish was clear, connecting and reconnecting, running tests (even after they said I was they could see I was getting excellent signal), and this was after it was newly installed the day before! What else, pray tell, is there to do? I assure you, posting in this forum, for answers that are also not solving my problem, was not my first step to a resolution. 
Liz

Hi linesden,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Do you have the case number for me to review your previous troubleshooting attempt?

If you haven't already done so, please try disabling Interference Mitigation in your Roku to see if that improves your streaming performance. Here are instructions on how to do so:

https://sites.google.com/site/rokucomlinkaut/home/preventingrokudirectwi-fiaccessfrombreakingthrough...

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Good morning linesden,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@linesden wrote:

The final tech I spoke to increased my bandwidth to attempt to get clearer picture, but also admitted I would burn through my data faster, which will leave me at the end of the month with crappy service due to data caps and in the same situation. (Kind of wish that was the biggest problem, since at this point we still have ZERO "service".)   

It's likely that the rep remotely either turned off, or paused, your Video Data Saver.  As alluded to in the link, the VDS throttles your service while streaming to that which is amenable to DVD quality, or SD, in order to save data.  If Netflix, or any other streaming service you use, is set to HD only playback, it will not be able to auto adjust to a lesser definition in order to work with the throttled speed caused by the VDS.  To be able to stream in full HD, the VDS may need to be turned off, or paused, though you'll likely use more data, as HD streaming uses more data than that of SD or LD.  How much data you use for your streaming activities is entirely up to you.  

How long your monthly allotment of high speed data lasts is entirely up to you.  Streaming Netflix in HD uses around 3GB per hour.  Even with the largest plan available (50GB), that's roughly 16 hours of HD streaming per month before you run out.  

@linesden wrote:

I had this "service" installed on Saturday, and my usuage meter is still at 100%...care to guess why?  

Maratsade has given the reason for this, so no need to guess.  

@linesden wrote:

I want to cancel my service, without any ETF's. If that is not "available" then I will continue with other avenues until I reach the resolution I seek.  

There needs to be extensive troubleshooting of the issue before anything like cancelling without an ETF would even begin to be considered.  Seeking help via this support community is the best avenue you can take to resolve the issue.