Hughesnet Community

Charged for nonreturn of radio on my roof.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DevFitz
New Poster

Charged for nonreturn of radio on my roof.

When I cancelled my service, I was told that I would have to climb on the roof of my home to remove a radio that the tech installed upon starting my service. I informed the CSR that not only was I very pregnant, we had already moved from the premises and wouldn't be climbing a ladder to the roof. They said they'd send a box for the return and follow up to address the radio removal. Now I'm seeing a $300 charge for non-return of equipment. I just recently had my baby and in fact moved again in that time, and it's ridiculous that I would be expected to climb to the roof to uninstall a radio the tech installed. The satellite dish was already purchased for the property when we moved in. If I had known we would be forced to move 6 months later and have to climb to the roof to uninstall something I would have never started service. I already paid almost $300 in early termination fees out of necessity, I will be filing a dispute with my card company and the Bx3 if this additional charge remains when I was told this would be followed up on, it is an absurd expectation in my opinion.
6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

>>When I cancelled my service, I was told that I would have to climb on the roof of my home to remove a radio that the tech installed upon starting my service.

You, personally, are not required to climb up on to the roof to retrieve the radio, but the radio must be retrieved and returned. If you can't do it yourself, it's expected you will get someone to do it for you.

>>They said they'd send a box for the return and follow up to address the radio removal. Now I'm seeing a $300 charge for non-return of equipment.

Yes, that's the charge for not returning equipment, and it is stated in the user agreement. Did they not send the box?

>>I just recently had my baby and in fact moved again in that time, and it's ridiculous that I would be expected to climb to the roof to uninstall a radio the tech installed.

You're not expected to climb to the roof to uninstall the radio. The radio needs to be returned, though, so you are expected to return it.  

>> If I had known we would be forced to move 6 months later and have to climb to the roof to uninstall something I would have never started service.

Did you not ask what was involved in cancelling the service? Did you not read the user agreement?

>> I will be filing a dispute with my card company and the Bx3 if this additional charge remains when I was told this would be followed up on, it is an absurd expectation in my opinion.

How is it absurd to expect the user to return equipment? No one told you that you had to climb up there yourself, only that the equipment needs to be returned. You can have someone else retrieve it. I don't think you have cause to initiate a dispute, given the charges are legitimate, and that there is no pregnancy clause in the user agreement. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Amanda

Hi DevFitz,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. As maratsade stated, the radio is required as part of the equipment return as stated in the subscriber agreement. We do not demand you place yourself in harms way, so if you would prefer, a technician can be dispatched for a de-installation fee of $100 or you could ask someone to retrieve it for you. The de-installation fee is the same as the installation fee. 

Thanks,

Amanda

When I spoke to the rep about cancellation, I was not informed that there would be any deinstallation fee, and when I let her know that I was unable to retrieve it myself and had already had to move from the property on very short notice (about a week) and no longer resided there, they said they would follow up regarding it, but never did. Installation was free with my service so I wasn't aware there was a fee for a tech to take back what he installed, and the rep never mentioned it.

At this point however the charge has already been applied to my card so there isn't much point finding someone to climb up there and get it to return it.
maratsade

"When I spoke to the rep about cancellation, I was not informed that there would be any deinstallation fee"

The information is in the subscriber agreement (section 1.3):  "As an alternative to de-installing and returning applicable Equipment to Hughes yourself (whether before or after the expiration of any Service commitment period), you may request that Hughes de-install the modem, power supply, and radio directly for a fee."

Yea, I get it. I was also told someone would follow up regarding a solution, which is what I waited for but never happened, so the box sat waiting and eventually was moved twice and put on the back burner. My fault there I suppose, but some decent customer service would have been helpful as well and I would have tried to find a way to get the radio off the roof and the modem returned. I imagine if it was returned now, the charge would remain anyway?
maratsade

That's a good question -- only the Hughesnet mods on the site can answer that, but fingers crossed!

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@DevFitz wrote:
I imagine if it was returned now, the charge would remain anyway?