Hughesnet Community

Confirmed Hughes System Error Costs Me Hundreds (Token111 error)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JustNotRight
New Poster

Confirmed Hughes System Error Costs Me Hundreds (Token111 error)

Hello Hughes Support Team

We're longtime customers. Thankfully really haven't had any issues in the years we've been with Hughes. We stick with our data allowance, pay on time, never had a need to even call customer service in all our years. I guess that's why I'm still baffled by my recent experience. 

This month I was backing up our computer and realized we were going to run out of data. Having never purchase tokens before I thought, it's worth it to get our files backed up this month. Clicked to purchase token and received an error that read, "Oops. We could not process your request. Please give us a call at 1-866-347-3292, to continue with your transaction. Error code: TOKEN111." I thought, must be a system error. I'll give it a few minutes and try again. Tried a few more times, rotating between desktop dashboard and phone app, and then thought it wasn't that big of a deal to add data/tokens so gave up. Searched the online community and saw a thread that made me think it didn't work because we still had a couple of gb on our anytime data. Our status meter was at 2.2 GB of data left for anytime data with 17 days to go in our cycle. So I walked away, the extra data/tokens wasn't worth my time calling customer service at that point.

A week goes by, I opened my app to check our data and a pop up comes up saying, "You're out of data." with the purchase tokens button. What the heck I thought, maybe it'll work. I select an amount and try again. Receive the same error code. But today, I have a few minutes and I call the number.

In my queue waiting for billing, the auto attendant tells me I've paid my bill and my next bill will be SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARs more than expecting! I reach a representative and ask him if I heard correctly as that's a pretty huge jump. He tells me it is due to my token purchases. I explained to him there must be some mistake as I was unsuccessful in purchasing tokens, getting the error code and why I tried so many times. He tells me I should have called customer service last week when I saw the message. Calmly, I explain my logic; I chose not to call in because I didn't need the data that badly and valued my time over calling customer service over data. I ask him to remove the tokens as I don't want them and to adjust my bill. He explains they are unable to take tokens back. I explain I am willing to pay for one token purchase but not in excess as their system is showing. 

I am then put on hold for several minutes. He returns and tells me he can confirm Hughes did have system issues during this time but that I should have called customer service last week. I request a supervisor who patiently listens and offers a slight discount. I ask him what my experience should have looked like - what would a successful token purchase have looked like? He shared I should have received a congratulations message and confirmation that tokens were added to my account.

That makes sense to me; we wouldn't be in this call if that had happened even once. I asked him to review my account - have I ever purchased tokens? No. So, is it logical I would have purchased such an excessive amount? I asked, how was I (a reasonable, long time customer, first time token purchaser) suppose to know tokens had been purchased once let alone several times with these conditions: 

• Error message with each attempt to purchase token: "Oops. We could not process your request. Please give us a call at 1-866-347-3292, to continue with your transaction. Error code: TOKEN111."

• No email confirmation of a token purchase, no message or notification in the app/dashboard

• No transactions listed in my billing section

• Status meter reads: 0% remaining data

• Pop up when I log into the app "You're out of data. Purchase Tokens"

• The HughesNet desktop dashboard didn't show I had any Token Bytes available - only suggested the purchase of tokens

The supervisor listened and placed me on hold, came back to the line, apologized again, recognized none of this was my fault but his hands were tied and the best he could do was take off 38% of the excess bill. 

The supervisor offered to educate me for future token purchase reference where I should notice tokens available messages. I explained such messages were not there as I tried to purchase data. Further, I explained had the terminology "data tokens available" been listed somewhere (especially if anywhere near a "purchase tokens" button) I would have assumed it was telling me I could purchase - not that I had data/tokens available to me. In addition, I explained that exact terminology (term "available") is used on the purchase token page. Using the word available on a "purchase" page and to inform a customer of what they have to use is conflicting.

I would suggest adding the tokens into customers anytime pie graph or create a third pie graph for tokens - consistent imagery in a location we're conditioned to look when gauging data available would be helpful.

Long, long story short...I am grateful the supervisor listened, that he was able to do something, that the tokens won't expire and my money isn't going completely down the drain...but it still just doesn't feel right. I do nothing wrong, experience a system error, spend my time on the phone with customer service and am still going to be paying a couple hundred more on top of my bill - not a splurge I'm interested in investing in now or frankly ever.

I would like to see the app developers do something with this feedback, for Hughes Community searchers (like myself a week ago) to see what TOKEN111 could mean to them, and for Hughes to re-evaluate if 38% off the excess bill is truly the best they can do. (my customer service case file was 117-494-925). 

Thank you for your time and consideration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

It has been a while since we heard from you so this thread will be closed. If you have any further questions or concerns please create a new thread.

Thank you,

Amanda

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JustNotRight

Wow.  What a nightmare.  Sorry you had to deal with that.  

With that said, in case you aren't aware, though there is no pie graph for data tokens, there is a spot on the Usage Meter and the various other places that your remaining data is shown.  It's shown as Token Bytes Available.  On the Usage tab of the MyAccount site it shows as Data Tokens Available.  On the System Control Center, just Token Bytes.  And, when you have tokens available like this, the usage of the token data will automatically kick in when you exhaust the data in one, or both, of the other two data banks, depending on the data time period your presently in while online.  IOW, from 8AM to 2AM, it's Service Plan Data, then Token Data.  From 2AM to 8AM, it's Bonus Zone data, then Service Plan Data, then Token Data.  During each of the two time periods, the successive data bank kicks in automatically when the preceding one is exhausted.  This is just for info in case you aren't aware of how the data is used and how the successive data bank kicks in automatically.

Capture.JPG

@GabeU

Thanks for your message. Hopefully it helps the next person. During the time when I was getting the systems errors, my dashboard still said no tokens and had the purchase token button in that red box where it should have been reporting the token bytes available;-(

Hi there,

I am actively investigating this for you. The only time this error should appear, to my knowledge, is when there is a balance on the account. There does not appear to have been a balance on the date these are marked as purchased. Since this requires an audit from our database team, it make take until the end of the day tomorrow to get you an answer. 

Thank you,

Amanda

Hello,

Just wanted to give a quick update. I am still waiting on a reply about your case. If we have to wait longer, I will make sure that the amount remaining is not charged to you.  I appreciate your patience.

Thanks

Amanda

Hello,

Just wanted to check in with you on your case. We've had the tokens removed but left a complimentary 25GB on your account for the trouble. All charges were either credited or refunded to you. Please confirm if your issue is solved or if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Amanda

Hello,

Checking in again to see if you had a chance to see my last reply to you. I noticed you called in very recently about the same issue. Just FYI - your balance is $0.00 and we had your tokens moved down to 25GB which was the amount you stated you were willing to pay for since this was the amount you intended to purchase. The extra token charges were credited and refunded to you for the amount of tokens you did not mean to purchase. I believe this was the resolution you were seeking and updated your account notes to reflect the steps we've done already. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. 

Thanks

Amanda

Hello,

It has been a while since we heard from you so this thread will be closed. If you have any further questions or concerns please create a new thread.

Thank you,

Amanda

That's a lot of token bytes in that screenshot GabeU. Wouldn't it make more sense to purchase the 50GB plan instead? Or do you save money in the long run by subscribing to the 20 then purchasing the 50 GB? According to HN's pricing purchasing 50 GB token bytes would cost $150, is there a 50 GB token byte purchase available they don't show? I ask because I would be interested in more anytime data (the only thing that's got me considering Viasat actually). Thanks in advance! Hoping I can find a way to increase my data.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@LeeH74

The tokens I have were collected over a few years.  I had some when I came from my old plan, got a few from the two outages this year (Jan and Sept), and got some for doing some speed testing in the past.  

When I upgraded to Gen5 I chose the 20GB plan, and it has been enough for me.  If I still had Gen4 and upgraded to Gen5 now I wouldn't have the choice of a larger plan, as the 20GB plan is the largest they are offering on my beam these days.  I have yet to need any of the tokens I have, though they're ready to go, just in case.  I should just suck it up and go on a bit of a streaming spree!  😛 

There's no 50GB token purchase available, though if there were the price would be the same as two 25GB token purchases, as when you break all the options down the tokens are $3 for each GB, regardless of how much you buy.  It's a little odd that they don't give something off for the larger purchases, like maybe offering the 25GB token purchase for $70, or even $65, but they don't, unfortunately.  😞