Hughesnet Community

DOES NOT ABIDE BY THEIR OWN CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fedup101
Sophomore

DOES NOT ABIDE BY THEIR OWN CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly dont know where to start. lets start when i started with hughes net back in january. we started with the gen4 with 10GB for $49.99..well i was having so many problems with the service that i was given an offer for the new gen5 with 20GB but i could still keep the 10GB price for 12 months as long as i pay the "activation fee" is the correct term,i always said install fee, which was about $149. sounds good right? well 3 months go by and i get charged a extra $20. i call hughesnet on thursday aug 3,2017 reference #105386086, they said that i will be credited for the extra $20 to next bill.and that i will have the promotion i was promised for the next year. they see it was taken off but there was nothing in the notes saying why it was taken off.the rep told me that i will be recieving a phone call the next morning with a supervisor to authorize all of this. next day comes. no call. so i called them again.reference number 105408235. this rep tried to tell me my promotion was only good for 3 months and that she see what she can do(mind you, on YOUR website the promotion even states for 12 months for the 20 GB is $49.99,expires end of june and i got this promotion in may).i was placed on hold.she said that she can give me a $10 credit. i said no. i want my $20 credit not $10. she placed me on hold again. her next offer was she can give me the $20 credit for the next 3 months. i said no because i paid a install fee to have this service for 12 months,why would i pay that much to only have it for 3 months. i will not accept. then she placed me on a hold again. her next offer was $20 credit for 6 months. I SAID NO I WANT MY CREDIT I WAS PROMISED. HOW IN THE WORLD YESTERDAY YOU GUYS SAID I CAN HAVE THAT PROMOTION THEN LESS THAN 24 HRS LATER SAY I CANT!!!  from there i asked how much does it cost to just cancel the whole service...$355!!!!! WHAT IN TH E WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!! so i got transfered over to a rep and he apologized as i explained everything from the past 2 days. he told me that the proper adjustments were made and i decided not to cancel giving another chance because this is not the 1st time my account has been overcharged. this is actually the 2nd time. and it sucks that i am in enrolled in the autopay because why would i want to pay an extra $5 to have my bill sent to me. anyways friday night,not even raining out and my netflix just keeps buffering..maybe i used my GB? so i wait till the 2AM-8AM where you are allowed to use up to 50GB.....nope still bufferiing. at this point i am beyond FRUSTRATED. so i call right then and there. 2:46 AM eastern time. the department i need to speak with opens at 7AM. here we are this morning.i called around about 7:30AM eastern time. i spoke with 8 (or was it 9?) people this morning!!!!!!!!! some how the call magically ended when i was explaining everything. let me tell you at what point the call kept magically ending. on YOUR website, legal.hughesnet.com/subagree-03-16-17.cfm, under 3.3 pricing revisions; notices states :

3.3 PRICING REVISIONS; NOTICES. 

Hughes may revise pricing for any Service Plans at any time by providing notice of any price change to you over the HughesNet Service as well as written notice to your address. Hughes will endeavor to provide at least 30 days’ notice of any such change to you. In the event you do not agree to such price revisions, you may terminate your subscription (as provided herein) and stop using the Service before the later of the effective date of the price change or thirty (30) days after such notice is delivered, in which event you will not be bound by such changes. Otherwise, except as provided in Section 5.5 below, your continued use of the Service after such time constitutes your full acceptance of such pricing revisions.

i was not informed about this price change which gives me the right to cancel without any fee. not to mention i did not recieve a written notice to my address. my bill was for $67.26 for August 2, 2017 and its suppose to be $47.26. the rep try telling me that my promotion fell off thats why i have to pay a early termination fee. um no. i was promised for 12 months for $47.26.there shouldnt have been any price change till next year. these past 3 days on the phone with you guys should of never happened if YOU guys didnt over charge my account for the 2nd time. the last supervisor i spoke with Mr. richard grey employee number 5230213 and reference call #105411640 (by the way was on the phone FOREVER) said he could not waive the early termination fee but take $100 off,actually that no one can......i asked him if this a billion dollar company, he responded with yes. i asked then HOW CAN A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY CANT WAIVE A FEE DUE TO THEIR NEGLIANCE AND NO FAULT TO MINE. AND CANT UPHOLD THEIR LEGAL AGREEMENT!!!!! seriously. today is my husbands birthday and im over here trying to get the headache of a company to make things right. but its not even about my bill being messed up(again) its not about the promotions that you guys want to give me for my compensation anymore. THIS IS ABOUT MY TIME BEING wasted. TIME IS TO VALUABLE TO ME. this about you guys not having the best interest for your customers. ALL I WANT IS TO CANCEL MY SERVICE AND NOT BE CHARGED ANYTHING BECAUSE THAT IS MY RIGHT! says in your OWN LEAGL AGREEMENT. i tried calling the president but unfortunately they are only open monday-friday. so this was my next move and if it doesnt get resolved today i will spend my weekend writing reviews every where i can. starting with Bx3(since writing it out is not permitted) then if yall have facebook twiiter anything.sounds like i may just have to talk to a lawyer as well because this is beyond unfair and its sad companies try to get over on good people. i served my country and this is the crap i have to deal with as a civilian? no thank you. im sure i left alot of details out but you guys get the drift. if you guys can call or email us back about this situation i would appreciate it.

-melissa hudson

one fedup customer

26 REPLIES 26
Fedup101
Sophomore

i would also like to add the "what if"...even if the promotion did end i still didnt recieve any notice of my bill being changed. it doesnt state about anything about promotions or discounts. it says

ANY PRICE CHANGE. and i have 30 DAYS.

the only notice i got was from my card being overcharged!!!!!  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Fedup101

The promotional periods for Gen5 on the normal Hughesnet website is meant for new customers only, existing customers that upgrade will have different promotions and prices.

That aside, the cheapest plan, 10GB, is $49.99 + Modem Lease + Taxes, and has been that way since launch.  The 20GB plan regular price is $69.99, if you signed up for that in May, at best it would go to $49.99 + Modem Lease + Taxes for 12 months. Not sure how you figure your bill would only be $47 though. The 10GB plan also never had a promotional period.  The 20GB plan did have a promotional period to get it for $49.99/m for 12 months, which it sounds like to me, you're still recieving, since you aren't paying $75~, nor ~$85

Base 10GB Plan or Old 20GB Promo Plan $49.99
Modem Lease:  $15.00/month
Taxes: ??? (Varies for each area)
Total: $65 - $70 depending on the taxes during the promotional term.
Total: ~$85 at the end of the 20GB promotional term

Hughesnet isn't obligated to send a written notice once promotional offers expire either, they are promotional, and last only so long which you obviously knew about, so that clause has no effect here IMO, you are told X months on the call, and from what you have stated, you seem to still be paying the promotional price if you are on the 20GB plan.

If you are having issues with Netflix play back, you might want to make sure Netflix is set to Auto if possible, or turn the Video Data Saver option OFF, as this will cause buffering if you're trying to watch 720p or 1080p video.

You say "Hughesnet isn't obligated to send a written notice once promotional offers expire either"  but on your website at http://legal.hughesnet.com/subagree-03-16-17.cfm under Subscriber Agreement under 3.3 PRICING REVISIONS; NOTICES. states:

Hughes may revise pricing for any Service Plans at any time by providing notice of any price change to you over the HughesNet Service as well as written notice to your address. Hughes will endeavor to provide at least 30 days’ notice of any such change to you. In the event you do not agree to such price revisions, you may terminate your subscription (as provided herein) and stop using the Service before the later of the effective date of the price change or thirty (30) days after such notice is delivered, in which event you will not be bound by such changes. Otherwise, except as provided in Section 5.5 below, your continued use of the Service after such time constitutes your full acceptance of such pricing revisions.

So please explain to me how are they not obligated to send a written notice if the promotion is over which will cause the PRICE to CHANGE. Regardless, if the promotion is over #1)i wasnt even informed when it would be over #2)THE PRICED CHANGED. and i was informed that it wouldnt change for 12 months if i upgraded to the gen5 and pay the activation fee which was about $149....not that the monthly bill will go up by $20 after 3 months. who would pay all that for only 3 months when i already suffered not so good service the prior 3 months? 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

SMH... Not my website.

You have stated that you signed up to Gen5 with the 20GB Promotional Plan in May, that means the price of the service plan is $49.99 till May of next year, after that it becomes $69.99

The HT2000w Lease Fee is another $15 per month.

You have stated, "my bill was for $67.26 for August 2, 2017"

$49.99 + $15.00 = $64.99 which sounds about right, which means you ARE in fact getting your $20 promotional price.
$69.99 - $20.00 = $49.99

There are also taxes that get charged which as I have stated, varies from location to location.

When you are told, "Hey, you can get this for THIS many months" you are being told, "hey, your price will change after that term".  Hughes has already informed you if getting a PROMOTIONAL DEAL that the price isn't locked in forever.

The Gen5 prices have not once changed, only promotional prices for new customers.  You are still getting your current promotional price, otherwise you would be paying approximately $84.99 (Service plan + lease fees + taxes).  You admit you knew it was a promotional term, you also admit you know what the promo price is for your account, which means you've been notified 12 months in advance.

Sorry, but you aren't getting out of contract because you think you aren't getting your promotional pricing when you infact are.
You also wont be getting out of contract because you think they haven't told you prices have changed, because the prices haven't changed.

Now, lets cover another aspect of your topic, you are bound by arbitration, which means any lawyer that says "sure, we can sue" is just taking your money only for the courts to reject the case.  Federal Appeals courts have already upheld that arbitration is a legal clause.

As far as contacting the B.B.B, you will get the same responses there as you do from the community moderators, they will just take longer.

In may i called about my service being poor and one of your reps offered me to upgrade to the gen5 with 20GB for TWELVE months(12) as a promotion if i paid the activation fee of $149 and in twelve months the price will go up (which we can all safely say is when we think the promotion will be up). i told them i cant afford to go any higher than what my bill is already. they said it would stay the same.this promotion sounded good because they said i will be paying the 10GB plan but really going to be getting the 20GB  so i upgraded thinking NEXT MAY 2018 is when the bill will go up. Yes those are the terms i agreed. NOT 3 months later my bill go up! Regardless YOU GUYS DID NOT GIVE ME A WRITTEN NOTICE TO MY ADDRESS ABOUT MY PRICE CHANGE even if you say you gave me a 12 month notice. yes i agreed to these terms but you guys arent holding up your part.

reference call #: 105386086 

reference call #: 105408235

reference call #: 105411640

i would appreciate a transcript of these calls and all notes written about them so another set of eyes can see if im correct or not.

i wonder how many people can relate to my situation at hand here. Because i know i cant be the only one who is going through this with you guys. i cant be the only one who is being promised for these oh so great "promotions" and then being taken away for no reason. in that reference call # 105386086 the rep stated i was suppose to have that promotion but some how gotten taken off but there was nothing in the notes why. NO FAULT TO MINE.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Once again, not mine, I am not an employee, just a customer.

Once again, you have flat out stated you paid a monthly bill of $67.26, and if you do the math, that comes out to being approximately what you would have paid before, and pay currently.  The only difference is the HT2000w lease fee is $5 more per month than the HT1000.

Lets try to explain this a little differently...

Service Plans WITH OUT PROMOTIONAL PRICING

Gen4 (These are not offered anymore with the launch of Gen5, these prices have never changed)
Choice - 5GB - $49.99
Prime Plus - 10GB - $59.99
Pro Plus - 15GB - $79.99
Max - 20GB - $129.99
Ultra - 50GB - $89.99
HT1100 Lease Fee - $10 (required unless purchased equipment for $$$)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gen5 (These are the current plans, and only plans, again, no promotional pricing, and these prices have never changed)
10GB - $49.99
20GB - $69.99
30GB - $99.99
50GB - $129.99
HT2000w Lease Fee - $15 (required unless purchased equipment for $$$)

Now, you do the math, you are screaming you aren't getting your $20 promotional discount.  The 20GB plan with a 12 month, $20 promotional discount comes to $49.99.

Don't forget to add the lease fee for the equipment, which is required.

So, as I stated, it's as follows
$69.99 + -$20.00 = $49.99  (Base Price + Promotional Discount = New Base Price)
$49.99 + $15.00 = $64.99  (New Base Price + Lease Fees = Service Cost)
$64.99 + TAXES = 67.26 (Service Cost + Varying Taxes or other fees = Bill Total till May of 2018, it will then be ~$87 there on out.)

If it has been less than 90 days, @Liz will try to locate and pull a sales call recording for where you signed up for Gen5 service, if the sales rep was misleading, she will let you out of contract.  However, if the rep was not misleading in any way, they will not release you from the contract.

You will not be able to get out of contract due to pricing changes, whether they be promotional, or not, you knew it was a promotional period and that wasn't the actual price.  The base price has not once changed for any service plan since the service plan came into existence for each generation of service.  Hughesnet, nor would any service provider keep track of millions of customers promotional end dates and mail out letters.  You seem to have been told it was a promotional period (which will end in May of next year) and wont recieve a written notice since you have been informed of that change.

i did not say i was getting a monthly bill of $67.26.it was $47.26 monthly.in aug i was charged $20($67.24) more because the rep(one i talked yesterday) said my promotion ended.meaning may-aug..thats only 3 months. the rep(when i upgraded to gen5) told me thatll be my bill(about $50) for 12 months.after that 12 month is done is when the price will go up.yes i agree to that. not 3 months is my point. and i shouldnt suffer because you guys took extra money out of my household TWICE. prices for that and prices for this that you are trying to tell me mean nothing because i was going by what the rep was telling me. those are the numbers i was paying attention too.so if it dont make sense to you then the rep was giving out wrong info.more training should be done.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Sorry, I just see no way your bill can be lower than what I have stated already...  Sounds like you may have been confused during the sales call, and reps have just been giving you temporary discounts to make you happy, however they can only do this so many times before the system prevents them from applying more discounts.  

That approximately $65 is what you should be charged though if you signed up on an old promotion, so it will be up to @Liz or another corporate rep to look into the sales call if it's still available, as well as all other recent calls to see where to go from there.  Unless lied to during the call, or mislead, there wont be much else that anyone can do for you.

You cant see how my bill will be lower because as you stated before, you are not an employee, just a customer. so that right there says it all. i would appericate if Liz or another rep would further into the calls and see for themselves. thank you.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I can't see how it could be lower, because they can't sell anything other than what they are allowed to sell.  Historically, all they can do is give you X amount off for a certain time to make up for it...  Liz might give you the promo rate, but I don't see them giving you $20 off when the promo period expires and the price goes to normal price.

I personally don't see how they can let you out of contract nor why you act as if they owe you a way out or reduced rates.  I mean, you was on the 10GB plan before which was $59.99 with no promotional offers, so... /shrugs/  Feels like you research something and bring it forward if it might benefit you, but totally skip everything else.  Like trying to use the plans listed on the website, you knew what you was looking at, but ignored the slashed price at the top?

Will come down to what Liz finds as far as the sales call goes, and any notes the agents have on record, but like I said, I don't see them giving you service for $20 off per month for the remainder of service.

Correction, the 10 GB plan i was on was $49.99. see you throwing numbers around like you know all the details which you dont. and my issue is that they took extra money out of my household twice. and its not fair they get to chose how i be compenstated each time. in their own leagl agreement they were suppose to send me a written notice to my address. the billing was messed up on their part.rep even confirmed that somehow my promotion was magically taken off without any notes saying why. you say itll be hard for a company to keep track of sending everyone notices, well then they shouldnt say they will do something and then dont do it. so when someone speaks on it they think they can back out of it right? im not looking for a hand out. im just saying i was promised this amount of data for this amount of months for this price. and when they start dipping their hands in my bank account for reasons they shouldnt im going to be upset. like i said if this only happened once i wouldnt make a big deal but this happen TWICE and i want no part of it anymore. the service isnt that great to keep dealing with issues like this. so thats why i believe i should be able to cancel without paying for it. But if they cant waive it,how about credit the account $355 so i can cancel. win win for all.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Oh look you almost got it!
$49.99 + $14.99 = $64.98
Now add the credit of $20 for 12 months = what do you get? =$44.98
And add a few bucks for taxes. My bill $47.26

My promotion was suppose to be till next may.
But my promotion magically disappeared and ended in Aug causing it to be $67.26....

So now you FULLY know the numbers please tell me how I can't get out of the contract if they messed up the billing on their end? Their legal agreement states they will send a written notice to my address of a price change and they failed to do that. All it says is any price change. Since it doesn't state what type of price change (ending promotion etc) regardless it was a price change(or am I wrong?) that I wasn't given.I was given notice that my price will change in may 2018(verbal by rep) and yes I agreed to that but I DID NOT agree for the price to change in Aug 2017.....

Good morning Fedup101,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! We certainly would like to investigate further to address your concerns, so I've pulled up your account to start. Please allow me some time to review your account. 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Fedup101,

Thank you for your patience as I reviewed your case history. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

He is right about the $67.26 tho. Yeah, the rep was pretty confusing when explaining it and it honestly made no sense till I saw the 2nd bill. But that is with the promotional $20 off. I have the same promo. The slashed price already incorporates the $20 off. It's not in addition to and taken from the slashed price. That is the price with promo included.

I was told I could use my own router by the guy who signed me up and that I could save myself some money from the lease fees. They told me to have the people set everything up and then call customer service to setup my own router. I confirmed numerous times with him, I'm sure it's recorded. However, customer service has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. They actually didn't even understand what I meant when I said my combo router, which is the exact same as their modem/router combo, is what I want to exchange because I can't even get my router to connect to my smart tv in a 26 foot travel trailer and the Hughes combo is literally 5 feet away from my tv. Lmfao So ridiculous. I've had nothing but connectivity issues since literally day one - probably 6+ calls within the first week? Never a resolution. Once I was told that the weather in my area was causing an issue, yet it was clear skies as far as the eye can see and I'm in a completely open area without any buildings near me at all that could obstruct signal. I took a picture of it because I thought it was hilarious that literally telling the rep how the weather was and having the ability to even confirm online that my location was clear - they still blamed that for terrible speeds that were BELOW 1 MB, regularly. They told me service here would be great and that streaming and gaming would be perfect without issue. I gave up on streaming Netflix after the first month. Tried for a couple episodes with low quality settings a couple weeks ago and only got through one episode before having issues and eventually not streaming at all.

Smh. I never, EVER had any of these issues with Charter OR Wave Broadband. Ugh, I miss both of those companies so bad. I had unlimited high speed at 60mbps with Charter with NO CONTRACTS and it cost me WAY less. I think I had maybe 1 issue with them in the 5 years they were my provider and they rectified it. Wave was 1200 gigs a month with 50mbps, no contracts and I never even touched my max. 200 gigs were free and I again paid way less. I got stuck with Hughes because of where I moved. I'm literally thinking about moving just to get a better internet service because I'm a remote worker and this service has me in trouble at work after 6 years of never being talked to. Charter Spectrum does contract buy outs up to $500. Maybe check to see if that service is offered in your area?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mandafayeee

Please create a new topic (I also replied in the thread regarding the person's data reset discrepency) in the tech support section regarding your router and WiFi connection issues.