Hughesnet Community

Early Termination Fee

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jghsilo

Early Termination Fee

Cancellation Policy : i got service the first of August, living in a small lake cabin until we could find a house to buy. Only recently I realized that I had a 2 year contract. Nothing was mentioned when I called and got the info from customer service. I have read the comments about this issue. Evidently it is an accepted process NOT to tell the new customer about the contract prior to getting service. Once the service is installed, then they have you! I would have never agreed to a 2 year contract. So what are my options now? There is no signed contract, only information after the install. Unlike a lot on this site I have no complaint about the service. I need to discuss the early cancellation fee with someone. Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

jghsilo,

Your options at this point are
A) Request a sales call review to see what was or was not stated during your sales call, if found in your favor, Hughes will typically fully waive the ETF.
B) Request a move order which will cost nothing if you haven't previously moved with the system.

If you select choice A, please provide a case number, or the serial number from the back of your modem, and PLEASE do not post your SAN/DSS.  Also, please be aware, with the weather that hit the North East (Where Hughes HQ is located) that retrieving and reviewing your sales call may take awhile.

If you do cancel, please remember that you must return both the modem, and the transmitter located on the arm of the satellite.
jghsilo

I talked to a manager a few minutes ago and I asked if they could have the conversation reviewed and he refused! Said I had to pay it if I terminated early. Who do I call? If I terminate where do I return the equipment?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

jghsilo,

The forum moderators here, Katie, Chris, Amanda, and Liz are corporate employees, they work under ECC (Executive Customer Care) which is the highest level.  So only they will really be able to have your sales call reviewed, phone support doesn't have the capacity, or capability to request sales calls.

But, as I stated earlier, they will need either a recent case number, or the modem serial number, in the event that they can't locate your account by the account information you are using to post here.

If found that you was lied to, or found that they didn't provide information about a two year contract, they will give you a case number on here, to reference for an ETF-free cancellation most of the time.
jghsilo

Ok how do I get the information they need to them? I wrote everything down they said when I ordered even the order number. Thanks for your help!!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

...look on the back of the modem for a white sticker (may be on the bottom), it will say Model: HT1100 P/N: xxxxxxx-xxxx, then there will be a barcode, and beside that it will say S/N xx xxxxxxxxxx xx   Type that S/N and post it on here.
jghsilo

S/N B3 0010425094 A 6
Chris11
Alum

Hi jghsilo,

Thanks for posting with your serial number. I was able to pull up your account and have already put in a request to have your sales call reviewed. Once I have more information I will let you know.

Thank you,
Chris
Doran Hoffman

Chris I will have you my serial number as soon as I get home. I am having the exact same issue.
Doran Hoffman

I can't figure out how to do that on my mobile phone. S/N B30010743895A1 please help me Chris
jghsilo

Thank you for your help!
Amanda

We're separating these posts to better assist you and to allow the original poster to receive the full attention to their issue they need. Thank you - Amanda

Please reference the new conversation here: early termination fee RE: Doran H.
Chris11
Alum

Hi jghsilo,

We have received feedback from our sales call review request. Here was my message to them:

"We have a customer that claims during their sales call, no mention of a contract was brought to their attention. In their own words as reported on the community:

i got service the first of August, living in a small lake cabin until we could find a house to buy. Only recently I realized that I had a 2 year contract. Nothing was mentioned when I called and got the info from customer service. I have read the comments about this issue. Evidently it is an accepted process NOT to tell the new customer about the contract prior to getting service. Once the service is installed, then they have you! I would have never agreed to a 2 year contract. So what are my options now? There is no signed contract, only information after the install. Unlike a lot on this site I have no complaint about the service. I need to discuss the early cancellation fee with someone. Thanks

Can we have this looked into. Typically the sales agent should bring this up in conversation and during the T&C at the end of the call." 

Their response:

"After reviewing the call, the agent covered all disclosures that informed the customer that the service had a 24 month agreement.  The customer never asks for further explanation of the agreement."

The results of the review show that all pertinent info about our 24 month agreement were made clear to you during the sales call. This is concluded and confirmed once our agent comes out to your house and finishes the install. Before they leave they will have you sign off, which confirms to us that everything was done properly and is working to your satisfaction before they depart. So any fee's incurred due to cancellation are valid. If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to let me know.

Thank you,

Chris

jghsilo

Chris, thanks for reviewing the call. I did not remember the contract being discussed. Obviously that's why you record the calls. Sorry for the inconvenience! Jghsilo
Chris11
Alum

Hi jghsilo,

I'm glad we could clear this up for you. I will close this thread and mark it as resolved. If you ever need more help feel free to create a new post.

Thank you,
Chris