Hughesnet Community

FRAUD - billed for termination fee with no notice after MONTHS of complaining!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaryMcClure
Freshman

FRAUD - billed for termination fee with no notice after MONTHS of complaining!!

I have been complaining to HughesNet ever since I first signed on, in November 2016. Every month I have had issues and called to complain. I was told when I signed up that the service I was getting would be more than enough for what I needed, and I explained what I needed in detail to the representative. I literally cannot even watch an embedded video on Facebook. I even upgraded my plan and I still have to buy tokens just to be able to check my email. After my last call to Hughesnet, I emailed them to say that if they cannot fix this issue then I want to cancel. This was in February.

This morning, there was no internet. Then, I see a charge for $370 on my checking account. Apparently they cancelled my account, and didn't feel it was necessary to TELL me this.

I just got off the phone with a "supervisor" who insisted that they called me (even though they had an incorrect number). I asked why they did not email me back after my email to them, and his response was that they do not email customers. He stated that the last contact they had from me was in January, which is not true (because they do have an email from me that initiated this cancellation, after all). I have never actually yelled at a supervisor before, but he had me so irate that I eventually had to hang up.

I cannot believe that this company is still in business, with the way they treat customers. You promise great service, great connection speeds, but then provide terrible service, and then have the nerve to charge almost $400 when you're called on it.

I have started a fraud investigation claim. 

6 REPLIES 6
bradn863
Sophomore

Hi, I wrote the post directly underneath yours. Isn't it funny that all the other posts around us have same day responses yet the two with "fraud" in the title have nothing?? I'm about to be VERY annoying on here.....

I agree, and I'm very upset. However, I found an email sent to me on MARCH 1st stating that they would need to speak with me in order to process my cancellation. (the "supervisor" I spoke with claimed they had no contact with me since January 24. That was false and I now have proof)

Admins, if you're listening, the case ID is 102899931. Note the telephone number they wrote down. IT'S INCORRECT!! It's not incorrect on my account, this was evidently just a mistake.

Nobody ever called to process my cancellation, therefore I do not agree that I should have been cut off and charged an early termination fee. 

Liz

Hello Mary,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We can certainly investigate further for you. I'll post back once I have any updates or additional questions.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Good morning Mary,

Thank you so much for your patience. After reviewing your case notes it appears that your account has already been credited back for the ETF, and the account balance reflects this. 

Currently your account is terminated, if you wish to reactivate your service, please let me know. Otherwise, please ensure you return the HughesNet equipment once you receive the lease return kit to avoid the Unreturned Equipment Fees. Here's an illustrated guide to returning the equipment: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1039586-0001v2_b.pdf

Feel free to post back if you have additional concerns. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Yes, they credited me when they realized I was not going away. Especially when I produced proof that I had been lied to. I am delighted to no longer be using HughesNet. Have a great day.

Thank you, enjoy the weekend, Mary.