Hughesnet Community

HughesNet Survey 'Reward' Offer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreatx1

HughesNet Survey 'Reward' Offer

For the second time in a couple or so weeks, I've had a HughesNet User survey pop up.
The  popup promises me a reward offer. The first time I took the survey to provide feedback and I was curious abo8ut the reward offer. What a disappointment!! The survey consists mostly out of generic questions with yes, no, maybe, n/a answer options and no way to leave some actual feedback. The 'Reward' consists of a choice of several products valued between $80 and $110 (Anti-aging System, Garinia Weight Loss Kit, E-Cig Kit, Hair Growth Product) Muscle Builder, Teeth Whitening System, and Wrinkle Cream) and all you have to do is pay between 4 and $7 for shipping. HOWEVER, if you actually look at the fineprint, it says if you do not return/cancel the order withing 14 days, you are then signed up for autoship and you will be charged whatever your product costs on a monthly bases.
HughesNet, what kind of a reward is that and how many people who don't read the fineprint get taken to the cleaners??? WHY???
I hope me posting this here saves someone from falling into this trap.
13 REPLIES 13
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Sounds very "scammy." It may not be something condoned by HughesNet.

By chance, was it sent to an @hughes.net Email address you're using?

What is the URL link to the survey?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

If this is a Popup message coming from your browser, you may have some adware or mal-ware in your computer serving up ads. These programs can easily detect your browsing history, and also which service provider you're using to connect to the Internet.
Amanda

Hello Andrea

We're very concerned to hear about this since this does not appear to be a survey from Hughes. We do not offer rewards program type surveys. What website are you on when you get this popup? Have you installed any new programs in the past couple of weeks since these started? It looks similar to this virus: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/online-surveys-center-virus-removal/

I recommend a thorough virus scan of your computer just to be sure.

Thanks
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Should run Malwarebytes. What browser are you using?

May want to read through this: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-browser-redirect-virus/

Whoops again! Researching and typing when Amanda posted.
andreatx1

I'm using FireFox. I'll look into the malware issue. Thanks guys.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Roseanne Tippet

Hughes Net seems to be taking this issue lightly! I misunderstood the instructions, thinking the portion for the "14 day trial with a $129 charge" was a separate offer. However, when a company such as HughesNet presents a survey that appeared professional but was a scam with no action taken, I have to question their ability or interest to protect their customers. After hearing so many complaints, mine was by phone, I would expect HughesNet to begin an investigation. These people need to be stopped. They are hurting HughesNet's reputation along with many other companies.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Roseanne,

Picking up malware or a virus online is not HughesNet responsibility. It is up to the customer to keep their system clean. Many times the originator of such things are overseas and it is very hard to find them let alone take any action against them.

Would you be willing to have your bill increased so they can hire a team to investigate such things?
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

However, when a company such as HughesNet presents a survey that appeared professional but was a scam with no action taken, I have to question their ability or interest to protect their customers.
Pretty clear HughesNet did not send this survey. It's Adware/Malware.

What specific action do you want HughesNet to take? Who are "these people who need to be stopped?"

If you need help and are you're angry at HughesNet then blame them for something legitimate that they have control over. Maybe start your own topic?
shaniboot
New Poster

I sure wish I new about this scam. I also got an email saying the same thing as Andreatx did. I ended up doing the survey and chose the Teeth Whitening System. All I had to do is pay for shipping . I think it was about 2 or 4 dollars. Then when I ended up getting the package reading the tiny writing it said that I would have to pay hundred and something dollars if I didn't cancel within 14 days. I got on the phone right away. I called right away to cancel. They made it so hard to do anything that I ended up paying 9 dollars and something to keep what they sent plus the shipping I already had gave them on my credit card. So this cost me about 15 dollars. But, I figured that I deserved this for not paying better attention. My browers is Crome. The thing is that I new better then to do this, but I really did trust HughesNet Survery. I also have had the Teeth Whitening system before from another company. Just wanted to add my comment.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Just because it says HughesNet does not mean it is HughesNet. People need to realize there are thousands of scams on the internet where fraudulent people pose as well known companies just to get money and personal information.

Rule of thumb, do not click on any link when a company sends an email. Instead go to the page of the company and log in like you normally would. DO NOT click on links in email to log into anything. 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

And never EVER give out your credit card or any other personal info to anyone or for anything you receive by Email or in a browser popup window, regardless of who they say they are. These parasites depend on peoples' misplaced trust for their blood.

BTW, as I mentioned in another topic on scams, I'm moving ahead with putting together a free class on Internet safety for our local Senior Centers here. And I invite our other techie Members on these Forums to spare some time in their communities and consider doing the same.

You have something truly valuable to offer to others less knowledgeable, especially elderly newcomers to the Internet who grew up in a different time when criminals couldn't pick your pockets from halfway around the world. 
Mary Brown

The fake hughesnt pop-up on your computer could be caused by a certain unknown program that can use cookies to measure your recent internet activities. I encountered such scam a less weeks ago. Simply resetting Firefox or Chrome can't stop it. Malwarebytes might be powerful for you. But luckily  I removed this pop-up with the help of a internet tutorial.