I want to CANCEL

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KathrynRoseS
New Poster

I want to CANCEL

When I called to set up Hughes net they told me I would get speeds of 25mps and I would be able to stream movies — it worked pretty well for the first 30 days, which seems really convenient for Hughesnet — because that’s the only time frame you can cancel in. But after that speeds dropped to 1mps and I can barely check my email. There is no point in paying $80 a month for nothing, because that is what 1mps speed internet is— nothing. I need to get out of this contract, I was told I was getting something I’m not. I don’t think I should have to pay the cancellation fees when I am not getting the service I was promised. What can I do?
5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

There is no such thing as a 30-day frame to cancel. The contract begins the second your system is installed, and the cancellation fee begins then as well. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@KathrynRoseS 

During your first twenty days of service your monthly data allotment is continually refreshed.  This relaxed bandwidth period is given as a courtesy by HughesNet, in order to allow those who need to update/upgrade their devices to current to do so without it affecting their monthly data allotment, as this type of activity can use a lot of data.  After these initial twenty days your data usage starts being tallied as it normally would.  The relaxed bandwidth period is explained in the Welcome email sent by HughesNet.  

Because of this, it's likely that you didn't run out of data during your first thirty days, so your speed wasn't throttled.    

And, as maratsade explained, there is no 30 day period in which to cancel without having to pay the Early Termination Fee, so there is nothing "convenient" about your data lasting 30 days in the first month.  

It's very important to monitor your data usage, as when you run out your speed is throttled.  You can do so via the HughesNet Usage Meter, which you can download from the HughesNet MyAccount site.  You can also sign into the same site and click on the Usage header.  There is also the HughesNet Mobile App, which you can download from Google Play or the App Store.  Lastly, you can go to the System Control Center.

Lastly, though you can stream with HughesNet, it's a very data intensive activity, so you have to keep a careful eye on your data and prioritize its usage.  Going by Netflix's numbers, streaming uses around 350MB per hour in LD, 700MB per hour in SD, and around 3GB per hour in HD.  Again, if you exhaust your data, your speed will be throttled.  

With all of this said, if you feel that you were misled during your sales call, and it's been no more than three or four months since that call, you can request a sales call review.   You can request the review in this same thread.  If it's determined that the sales rep did not set appropriate expectations you may have recourse. 

I would like a sales call review, I don’t remember them saying anything about having to be careful about streaming or I might use up my data.

Good morning KathrynRoseS,

Thank you for your patience while your case was reviewed. Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Good morning KathrynRoseS,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We can certainly look into requesting your sales call for review to determine whether the sales rep set the appropriate expectations. I'll post back once I get the results. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!