Hughesnet Community

Install question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scorpion51

Install question

A week ago Hughes did an install changing me over from DishNet. The modem and the antenna system were change over but the three year old in-ground cabling was not replaced. Should it have been? What are the chances that i will see system problems due to the cabling.  
48 REPLIES 48
Robin S

Mine was in place for 7 years without any issues.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

As long as the cable is rated for direct burial, or is installed inside of a conduit, it should be fine for several years, if not decades.
Scorpion51

It was installed by the DishNet installer and I don't think it is direct burial rated but I guess it will be good until it's not. I'm thinking I should have requested it replaced so it would have been a completely NEW installation. Time will tell
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Usually installers don't carry cable that's rated for direct burial as they aren't required to do a direct cable burial installation if they don't have to.  Getting direct burial would make the install cost more out of your pocket, mostly due to the extra labor and fact the cable costs so much more.
Scorpion51

Well, I will look into new cable and conduit this spring. Now that it is in my "head" it will keep itich'n me until I replace it. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Wish Alan was around, he would be able to tell you exactly what grade cable you would need.  I honestly like the conduit idea, but it's more time consuming to dig up and lay conduit then run the cable inside that.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Depending on type of ground and length of run really a pretty easy do-it-yourself job. Just far enough down to keep the mower from hitting it.

I've never had a problem with frost heave even at just a foot or so down especially with small 1/2" conduit.
Scorpion51

it is only about a fifty foot run from poll to ground block at house and is an easy dig. I was the one that buried it during the install before. I will do it again this time with db cable AND conduit because next time I might be to OLD to do it
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

One thing I would like to add, if you ARE doing this your self, consider running two cables, it's much easier if one ever goes bad to swap the cables around, it would also give you room if you ever wanted another dish out in that location in the future.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Can rent trenching machine, I love those things! Probably not worth it for 50' run.
Scorpion51

Two cables is a great idea. Heading out to town now, will check out the supplies. All fired up now, may be digging today. Will pick up some Ibuprofen too.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Now this is cool, no idea how well it works:

Robin S

I wouldn't want to be on the other end of that thing when it hits a thick root or rock.

If I have deeper digging to do in some non compliant soil, I get my tiller out. If its a really long run its to the rental store for a trencher. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I was thinking the same, just didn't know there was such a thing. At the very least would sure jar the hands and arms if it hit something substantial. This is much better or as you say even a tiller to at least break up the earth and make it easier:

Robin S

I'm not showing that to the hubs, he'd have to buy one. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yeah, definitely guy tool candy.
Robin S

Our garage is stuffed to the rafters with guy tool candy. He never uses it, its me. Its been so long since he started half of the stuff out there I have to show him. 
Christopher San

Smallest one i ever saw !!!!
Scorpion51

Now that is something no guy ever wants to hear
Christopher San

THAT even Right !!!   Kokercey !!!!!