Lied to from the start

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mountroyal56
New Poster

Lied to from the start

I was lied to from the first phone call about data usage. Told her we stream tv and she told me 10 Gb would work. First month it did. Second and following months out of data in 5 days. They claim my phone call was recorded. I want out with no cancellation fees.
6 REPLIES 6
Jay

Mountroyal56,

While our agents do their best to recommend a plan based on a single conversation with you, they may not always be 100% accurate when estimating how much data you will need each month.

If you feel that your plan is not enough to meet your needs, you can always choose to upgrade the account!

-Jay

And if you upgrade you pay more. Why don't you be honest about how much data people will use. If they tell you they steam tv you know they are going to use more. I need I limited but can't afford your prices
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Trouble1023 

If it had been no more than about three or four months since your sales call you could have requested that it be reviewed to determine whether appropriate expectations were set by the sales representative, but being that it's been more than a year since that call it's very likely that the call is no longer available for review.  Unfortunately, at this point, there's no way to verify what was said by that representative. 

While I agree that the sales people should be forthcoming about the fact that HughesNet is not a viable choice for those who want to do a lot of streaming, and they likely usually are, people should always educate themselves about what they are contemplating buying before doing so.  

BTW, I don't work for HughesNet.  I'm just a subscriber.

HughesNet advertises "watch the latest videos", meaning: Short clips like you see on social media. They say nothing about being fit for the purposes of being a source for watching TV - fulltime or any time. No satellite internet is for various reasons.

If you're given a plan with a data limit, it's up to you to manage what you use that data for and it's up to you to determine if your budget can handle the cost. There is absolutely no way a salesperson can characterize what amount of data is needed because they would have to know what service(s), what resolution, what devices were used, and with what regularity. Not sure that mindreading should be required and just saying 'I stream TV' certainly isn't sufficient.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Trouble1023
New Poster

I was lied to also. They told me 10gugs would be plenty too. Then they gave me 20 for the same price. I am still out of data in 1 day. Since I have had dish and hughesnet, I am unable to watch anything on demand and it is hughesnet fault. All it does is buffer. This service is slower than dialup used to be. It's the absolute worst. I want out as soon as possible but don't have $400 to get out. I signed up Dec 2018 and now they say I have until May 2021. How does that work? I signed up thru Godish and was supposed to be for 1 year. The whole situation sucks.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Trouble1023 wrote:
I am still out of data in 1 day. Since I have had dish and hughesnet, I am unable to watch anything on demand and it is hughesnet fault. All it does is buffer. 

HughesNet recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers to their service because satellite TV receivers can chew through all of your data, regardless of your attempts to watch anything on demand.   Unless I deliberately use my data for something large, 20GB lasts me an entire month with data to spare, and this is with keeping three Windows 10 Pro systems up to date, as well as browsing, social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc), paying bills, shopping, watching Youtube videos and general browsing.  

As well, the ability to stream without buffering cannot be guaranteed.  Streaming may also be more difficult during prime time.  Something that may help is turning off (or pausing) the Video Data Saver.  Lowering the resolution at the source may also help.

You may want to look into PlayOn Cloud for your streaming.  It converts your chosen streamed items to mp4 files in the cloud, which you then download, either automatically, by scheduling or doing so manually.  You can take advantage of the Bonus Zone to do this.  There's no buffering because you're watching from a fully downloaded file, which will play on anything that can play mp4 files, including most smart TVs these days, like from a USB flash drive.  

@Trouble1023 wrote:
I signed up Dec 2018 and now they say I have until May 2021. How does that work? I signed up thru Godish and was supposed to be for 1 year. The whole situation sucks.

If you got the service in Dec 2018 your two year commitment should expire in Dec 2020.  All HughesNet services require a two year commitment.  Only when you move and choose the free relocation option when doing so or upgrade from a prior type of HughesNet service does a new commitment start.  

@Trouble1023 wrote:
This service is slower than dialup used to be.  

No, it's not.