cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS ending support for Windows 7

MS ending support for Windows 7

I just read on PC online this guy is praising Vista and says Windows 7 is bad and he hope it, "Rots in it's grave."  Myself I feel XP and Win7 are the best MS has ever offered any comments?  Below is a link to the article.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471126,00.asp?obref=obinsite
17 REPLIES 17
Honorary Alumnus

Re: MS ending support for Windows 7

Just to be clear on "end of Win7 support" ......
Security updates and patches for Win7 will continue into 2020.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for sharing this piece! And thanks to Gwalk for clarifying that the end of Win 7 support isn't until 2020, since it's just now that Microsoft is no longer selling Win 7 licenses to PC makers. 

I personally use Win 7 at home and we all use Win 7 (Enterprise) here in Germantown. No qualms from me.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

True but what I was talking about is the comparison between Vista, Win7, 8, and 8.1 in the article he talked like Win7 was a junk OS and not in the same ballpark as Vista 8 or 8.1.  Myself I feel 7 is superior to all of the ones mentioned in the article. 

I use Windows7 Enterprise in my Windows Partition on my main PC and Windows 7 Professional on my Studio Recording PC and XP for my workshop PC and like them all.  However my main OS is Linux Mint.  I do have customers that use Vista and 8 and they all say they don't like it.
Honorary Alumnus

To me, Win7 is what Vista should have been and most likely would have been if not for "marketing pressures".

Having said that, I too was "reluctant" to give up my WinXP, in fact I still run it on a couple of hard drives.
I do have a retail copy of Vista Ultimate (as well as Win7 Ultimate) and it (Vista) does take a bit more horsepower to run but there is a big difference between a OEM preinstalled Windows vs a "retail" installation.
Wifes Toshiba laptop however runs great on Vista.

I have bought the retail versions of Windows since Day One (even ME) but I drew the line at Win8/8.1, I refuse to pay big money for an OS that at its heart is a "mobile OS" (yes I know about classic shell) when my main requirements are for a desktop application.
As far as Networking ? Win7 is a breeze.
Assistant Professor

The guy is writing his opinion is all and you know what they say "opinions" are like.
People seem to get very personal and protective about their OS.
I think 7 is a very good OS, there are still plenty who think XP is the best that ever was.
I tend to roll with the newest eventually, I like the challenge of learning it. Keeps my old brain active. I have my 8.1 looking and running pretty much like 7.

, there are still plenty who think XP is the best that ever was.

and I am one of them especially after SP3 
Assistant Professor

I have XP and Mint 17.1 on Virtual Machines. (VMware Player)
My wife has 7 on her laptop.
Honorary Alumnus

There was some major under the hood changes (if you exclude Win2K) in the jump from Win98/ME to XP such as moving from FAT32 to NTFS just to name one.