Hughesnet Community

Need assistance in cancelling my account within 30 day "grace period" without ETF, please respond.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shjeng
Freshman

Need assistance in cancelling my account within 30 day "grace period" without ETF, please respond.

Hello,

I signed up for Hughesnet, with the sales rep. on 8/5/17.  I told the sales rep. that I needed a strong/fast enough bandwidth that will allow live streaming of Directv Now.  She said Hughesnet was meant for this.  So the  system was installed the next day.  From the first day until now, the bandwidth is not strong/fast enough.  It would take 2 minutes for each channel to load its content, which makes "channel surfing" impossible.  And when the show does finally play, it would either freeze every few minutes from having to buffer, or the quality of the picture was below HD quality (because of the weak/slow bandwidth), or BOTH.  At this point, it has been 11 days of horibble television watching.  There was misrepresentation in the inducement into this service agreement.  I have read from this community support postings that there is no Early Termination Fee (ETF) if cancelled within 30 days and equipment is returned timely.  Thus, someone please respond and let me know how to proceed with this "cancellation with no ETF" process.  Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There is no longer a 30 day grace period in the contract, hasn't been for a long time...  DirecTV should work perfectly fine unless you exhaust your data.

I am sure one of the reps will pull your sales call to see if there was any misleading information given though so that the rep can be coached if they did so, and so they can let you out with out an ETF.

Thank you for the quick response, C0RR0SIVE.  Can you let me know the timeframe/how long the review will take?  Also, I am pretty sure that I have not used up my data, as the "My Usage" window (top right of this site) notes that I have only used 99% of my data.  As noted, the picture freezes due to buffering on a daily basis (heck hourly basis, actually), as well as picture quality is less than HD (imagine looking at a 1980's t.v. picture, despite my set being HDTV and Directv Now streaming is supposed to be HD).  Anyhow, I look forward to a response soon.  Thanks again.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you signed up directly through Hughesnet, it can take upto 2 weeks tops, usually it only takes 3-5 business days.  They keep sales call recordings for 90 days.

Have you tried disabling your Video Data Saver option?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@shjeng

Sorry you are having issues.  The following is not concerning the issues you are presently having, but only the expectations of the service.  Streaming in HD can burn through your data VERY quickly, and even with the 50GB plan, just a little over 16 hours of HD streaming would burn every bit of Anytime Data, and that's not counting any other data your device(s) would use, which they surely would.  As an example, with Netflix, streaming in HD uses about 3GB per hour, SD about 700MB per hour and LD about 350MB per hour.   

Also, one other thing to keep in mind.  During your first twenty days of service your data constantly resets, so it's like having unlimited data for those days.  Hughesnet does this as a courtesy to allow people to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting what would be their normal monthly data amount, as doing those two things can use a LOT of data.  So, what you are able to during those first twenty days, ESPECIALLY with streaming, data wise, you may not be able to do during your normal monthly data allotment.  The twenty days of data resets are alluded to in the Welcome email from Hughesnet.    

Edit:  Also, as mentioned by Corrosive, your Video Data Saver may be preventing you from streaming in HD, as it throttles the speed for some streaming services.  If you disable it, you may find the problem fixed.  You can disable it by signing in to the Hughesnet myAccount site and going to Settings, or through the Hughesnet Usage Meter.  

http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've taken your recommendations re. turning off data save into consideration and have done so.  I'll try watching some Directv Now and see if there is any change. If I still have any of the problems that I noted before, I will update you with such.

Otherwise, C0RR0SIVE, yes, please continue with the phone call transcript review and let me know the results thereof.  Again, thanks and have a good weekend.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

shjeng wrote: 

Otherwise, C0RR0SIVE, yes, please continue with the phone call transcript review and let me know the results thereof.  Again, thanks and have a good weekend.

It's actually the reps that listen to the sales calls.  They have the "Moderator" title.  I'll tag the two most active reps so that they will be sure to read this thread.  They are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, so the earliest you would hear from one is Monday, though it can still take a few days for them to be able to pull the call and review it.  

@Liz @Amanda

Good morning shjeng,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I've pulled your account and we can certainly look into requesting your sales call for review to determine whether the sales rep set the appropriate expectations. I'll post back once I get the results.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hello shjeng,

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,  I saw your PM.  Thank you for your assistance.  Much appreciated.

Good morning shjeng,

Great! You're very welcome. Feel free to post back in the community if you have additional concerns. We're here to help.