cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Modem model to be released ?

Honorary Alumnus

New Modem model to be released ?

I recently ran across this document describing a new modem model.

Would any Hughes employee care to provide any details as to release date, system platform it will be used on and so forth ?

14 REPLIES 14
New Poster

Re: New Modem model to be released ?

Wonder if this will be the modem for the new bird?
Alum

Hi Gwalk,

Thank you for your interest. This modem is not a consumer based product and is designed for enterprise customers. At this time there are no plans for a new consumer modem model.

- Chris 
Honorary Alumnus

That is what I was wondering too.

Dual band, dual LAN ports, router or switch.

Honorary Alumnus

Oh Drat !!!!

It had some nice features .... dual LAN would lend itself more to the Consumer than Enterprise side I would think.

Thanks for the Reply Chris.

Associate Professor
Associate Professor

Hughes tends to keep dual LAN to enterprise only systems...  Tends to be useful for failover networks, where if one router or firewall fails, another automatically takes over for the network.  Don't really see dual LAN being useful for consumers as most have a router already.
Honorary Alumnus

I was thinking of the "I have two computers and don't need wireless" type of user that doesn't need the "complication" of setting up a router.

Associate Professor

Those users are sadly few in number, too few to justify putting the circuitry for the second NIC onto an HT1100 or any other consumer model.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE OF US WHO AREN'T ALLOWED TO HAVE/USE ROUTERS? BESIDES, WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS I'VE HAD TO CALL ON; THE FIRST THING THEY ASK ME ABOUT IS THE "ROUTER" I'M USING!

I JUST FIGURED: "WHY EVEN START ANY MORE TROUBLES?"

OKAY, "DUMB QUESTION TIME": JUST WHAT IS A ROUTER ANYWAY?