Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrfitzs
Freshman

Service

Dear Paul
My name is Pat Fitzpatrick
I am one of your customers 
I've tried your service for 6 months and I've been misrepresented from day one. My wife Debbie originally called HughesNet to have it installed. She ask the sales rep what size is the Satellite dish he
told her is was the size of a large pizza pan. I read the reviews on
Gen 4 So I called to cancel before installer came to the house,the sale rep assured me that they have
a new Gen 5 works great.I told him I didn't feel comfortable about 2 year contract. So he offered me 30 day trial period and I agreed to have it installed. The first month 
work ok with only 10g .Then after the 30 day trial period was up.I started having problems slows speeds internet not working and couldn't watch Netflix. So called back ask them why I was having problems they said I needed to purchase more data. I said why was it working ok for first month.
They told me they gave free credits as customer courtesy. So I agreed to buy more data so I could watch my Netflix and use my internet. I feel that I was misled because I didn't authorize them to put that on my account. I wish they didn't give me free credits so I could see if I was going to get a fair trial period . Well that's water underneath the bridge. So I tried it again another month and same thing I run out of data so I called back and I agreed to upgrade to
50 gig so I tried that still slow. So I called back and they reset my 
modem. A few weeks go by then my service quits working altogether so I called him back they tried to reset the modem they didn't have any luck doing so so they told me that they would send a technician out the same guy installed it and he would fix my problem. I had to wait 9 days for him to show up.Installer came in my house connected his laptop to Hughes modem he change one setting which was a signal from left hand to right hand.I wasn't happy when I watched how easy
It was to change one small parameter. Somebody from the company should have been better trained to show me how to do that that would have saved a lot of time and money for a service call which they did for free. When I use my phone I have to use MicroCell because we're in a bad location and I rely on the internet service from Hughes which I did not have for 9 days.I let this go on since Sept 25 2017 till March 26 2018
I am not a complainer I just want to be treated fairly. I cancelled it March 26th they told me the earliest they could shut it off it's April 1st I don't understand why I have to wait. My bill cycle started at the end of the month on the 25th and I paid huges every month Faithfully but yet I have to wait 6 days for them to cancel not understanding why. I asked accounting how much owe.
They couldn't give me a straight answer .They said maybe $325.00
not sure. I am not using the modem it's unplugged. I'm not happy that they could give me a truthful answer that shouldn't been hard to figure out. I've had really bad experiences the whole time last 6 months. I have changed internet providers I am now going with aptitude so far knock on wood very good. I've checked out the Better Business Bureau ratings on your company and you have an A+ congratulations it just doesn't work for me I'm sorry but I did try.

Respectively : Patrick Fitzpatrick

8 REPLIES 8
mrfitzs
Freshman

Dear tech
My name is Pat Fitzpatrick
I am one of your customers 
I've tried your service for 6 months and I've been misrepresented from day one. My wife Debbie originally called HughesNet to have it installed. She ask the sales rep what size is the Satellite dish he
told her is was the size of a large pizza pan. I read the reviews on
Gen 4 So I called to cancel before installer came to the house,the sale rep assured me that they have
a new Gen 5 works great.I told him I didn't feel comfortable about 2 year contract. So he offered me 30 day trial period and I agreed to have it installed. The first month 
work ok with only 10g .Then after the 30 day trial period was up.I started having problems slows speeds internet not working and couldn't watch Netflix. So called back ask them why I was having problems they said I needed to purchase more data. I said why was it working ok for first month.
They told me they gave free credits as customer courtesy. So I agreed to buy more data so I could watch my Netflix and use my internet. I feel that I was misled because I didn't authorize them to put that on my account. I wish they didn't give me free credits so I could see if I was going to get a fair trial period . Well that's water underneath the bridge. So I tried it again another month and same thing I run out of data so I called back and I agreed to upgrade to
50 gig so I tried that still slow. So I called back and they reset my 
modem. A few weeks go by then my service quits working altogether so I called him back they tried to reset the modem they didn't have any luck doing so so they told me that they would send a technician out the same guy installed it and he would fix my problem. I had to wait 9 days for him to show up.Installer came in my house connected his laptop to Hughes modem he change one setting which was a signal from left hand to right hand.I wasn't happy when I watched how easy
It was to change one small parameter. Somebody from the company should have been better trained to show me how to do that that would have saved a lot of time and money for a service call which they did for free. When I use my phone I have to use MicroCell because we're in a bad location and I rely on the internet service from Hughes which I did not have for 9 days.I let this go on since Sept 25 2017 till March 26 2018
I am not a complainer I just want to be treated fairly. I cancelled it March 26th they told me the earliest they could shut it off it's April 1st I don't understand why I have to wait. My bill cycle started at the end of the month on the 25th and I paid huges every month Faithfully but yet I have to wait 6 days for them to cancel not understanding why. I asked accounting how much owe.
They couldn't give me a straight answer .They said maybe $325.00
not sure. I am not using the modem it's unplugged. I'm not happy that they could give me a truthful answer that shouldn't been hard to figure out. I've had really bad experiences the whole time last 6 months. I have changed internet providers I am now going with aptitude so far knock on wood very good. I've checked out the Better Business Bureau ratings on your company and you have an A+ congratulations it just doesn't work for me I'm sorry but I did try.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mrfitzs

First, there is no 30 day trial period with HughesNet.  The contract is in force from the second the service goes live.  Secondly, regarding the "free credits", during your first twenty days of service HughesNet resets your monthly data allotment on a regular basis.  This is done as a courtesy to allow new users update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting what would be their normal monthly data allotment, as it can often take a lot of data to perform these updates/upgrades.  After those twenty days the service reverts to the normal monthly data cycle of 30 or 31 days (or 28 or 29 if February is involved).  In the case of your first month, the data would be for the remainder of that first month's data cycle, which would be ten or eleven days (or eight or nine, again, if February is involved).  When your second month of service starts the data would need to last the entire month, and if the data is exhausted you go into FAP, or service with a throttled speed, of which may very well not be high enough for streaming things like Netflix.    

The residential contract stipulates that the ETF (Early Termination Fee) is $400 for the first ninety days, then is reduced by $15 every month thereafter.

If you feel you were misled during the sales call you can ask to have the call reviewed, but with it having been six months I don't know if they would still have it.  If they do it may take them a few days to review it.  If it's determined that you were misled about the service you may have recourse regarding the Early Termination Fee.  

You should request this sales call review on the duplicate thread you created in the "myAccount and Billing" section.  You can either edit the already created post to include the request, or reply to the opening post and request it. 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/myAccount-and-Billing/Service/m-p/97965

First, but that's not what they told me they told me I had a 30-day trial. This is why they have such bad reviews. And I think that was very convenient that they give me extra credits on my account. Knowing they do not have 30-day trial. Second can you explain to me why it takes 6 days to cancel my service when I paid it on time every month. And there's no doubt in my mind they misled me. The facts are right in front of me. It's a shame that nobody sees or understands what I'm trying to say, I now have good service with another company not had one single problem since the day I've canceled you guys and I can sleep good now knowing that there is some companies out there that understand and don't have excuses for every little thing that goes wrong with their service. Thank you for your time.
maratsade

"First, but that's not what they told me they told me I had a 30-day trial. "

Then you definitely will want to request a sales call review. 

GabeU

@mrfitzs

Regarding the data resets (the "extra credits"), it's nothing more than a courtesy, and actually to the customer's benefit, not HughesNet's.  Were HughesNet to not do this they could probably make a few more dollars from the people that would need to buy Tokens (extra data) to be able to perform the updates/upgrades mentioned, so again, it's to the customer's benefit that they give the 20 days of data resets, not HughesNet's.  It would only be to HughesNet's benefit if there were a 30 day trial, as then it could be construed as a form of bait and switch (more data during the trial month than a customer would normally have), but since they don't offer a 30 day trial, it's not.  It's simply a courtesy for the customer. 

As mentioned, and seconded by @maratsade, you should request review of your sales call to verify if you were misled.  Though there's no guarantee, but it may help regarding the Early Termination Fee.  Still, it's ultimately up to you whether you do so.  

Good luck.    

Sorry it didn't do any good. Sales rep did indeed over 30day trial period and I did record conversation and still denied they said that.I was misrepresented I would never agreed on this terms if only they would of been truthful.They never emailed me a cancellation noticed for my personal records.Do not understand why.They took the money out of my checking account. They also holding my money they owe me till I send their modem and equipment back.I guess they don't trust me even though I paid ever dime I owe them in full. Do not understand their policy.
maratsade

Looks like Liz is trying t help you. You may want to check your messages.

Liz

Hi Pat,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I pulled up your account to investigate a bit. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your billing concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!