Sorry

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erica1999
Freshman

Sorry

I was told i would be able to watch netflix in one room while my boyfriend plays his online games in our living room. I asked if i would be able to do that and my sales rep (don't remember his name) said it would be fast enough for this and that the plan i have is the same as his and it works great for him and his family at home. I did ask if it was unlimited but i know understand it has a data usage. We go through 10 in a day or two. I was just wondering if i should upgrade my current plan or if i should look elsewhere? If you think i should upgrade just tell me which plan would work best for online gaming and streaming at the same time. Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Erica,

I apologize for the delayed response. Please see your private messages for further assistance. Thank you.

-*Felicia*

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Unfortunately, streaming is a very data intensive activity, especially if done in hi def.  According to Netflix, the amount of data needed for streaming is 3GB per hour in HD, 700MB per hour in SD, and 350MB per hour in LD.  

Regarding online gaming, though some online games do work just fine with satellite internet, real time games, like first person shooters and other types of action games, don't tend to work well because of the high latency inherent to satellite internet.  Those latter types of games may work, but they'll most likely be very frustrating, at best, as what your son will be seeing on the screen will actually have happened at least a half second before he sees it.  With online action games a half second can mean everything.  The delay is just too high for most of those types of games for them to be even playable.  

Games also use a lot of data, especially if it's done with a console and there are game updates.  Some of those updates can be very large.  

My advice would be this:  If you feel that the representative during your sales call misled you as to what you'd be able to do, I would request a sales call review.  If it's determined in that review that appropriate expectations were not set by the sales rep, you may have recourse regarding the Early Termination Fee if you choose to cancel the service.  

With what you say you have used, data wise, in just a day or two, there is no way that the data will last an entire month, even if you had the largest plan (50GB), and you're likely to exhaust your monthly data allotment and have your service speed throttled in a relatively short amount of time.  You can try to adjust your usage habits and your son's game playing habits to make the service work for you, but I don't know if it really will, unfortunately.  😞  

You can request the sales call review in this thread.  When you do a rep will put in for the review.  It can take a day or so for a rep to reply, and it usually takes at least a day or two for the review (sometimes a bit longer), and with it being so close to the weekend it's likely that you wouldn't hear the results until next week.  

Okay thank you so much for replying and helping me out! I'm requesting a sales rep call review now then. Thank you for explaining this to me & i hope you have a great day

Hello Erica,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I apologize that you feel misinformed. I will look into the sales call for you.  Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

*Felicia*

Have you heard anything yet?

Erica,

I apologize for the delayed response. Please see your private messages for further assistance. Thank you.

-*Felicia*

GabeU

@erica1999

You're very welcome.  🙂  

Disgusted
Sophomore

They tell untruths on the phone. Run fast because it will only get worse for you.
maratsade

You may want to follow your own advice and "run fast," if you're so "disgusted." Pay the ETF and be free as a bird.  

@Disgusted wrote:
They tell untruths on the phone. Run fast because it will only get worse for you.

Aawh.. Are you still lonely..we did leave. But I will have my right to Freedom of Speech.. And inform others of the truth of this side show. So now you continue to stalk other's and maybe..just maybe you might see the light..Have a fantastic day 😎
maratsade

I'm only lonely for you, D. darling!   But your words are a comfort, and you have made my day, you sweet thang. 

Lol.. So you all can stalk people and tell them what they can and can not say..Humm. Just what I thought a bunch of geeks sitting behind a computer screen trying as you all stated.."PROFESSIONAL".
That's today's issue in society. Can run their tongues but have nothing constructive to say or add to the human mind .
So instead of taking this lady's post up. Like you seem so bent on doing .
Feel free to message me privately and if you like I would have no issue meeting with you and having a real adult conversation in public. Instead of you sitting on this forum being a keyboard warrior.
Now with that being said, you are the one once again that attacked my post just like in the past.
So I am not disgusted, just amazed at the people in society that behave like you.
So feel free to message me if you would like to.

Have a fantastic and blessed day.
😎🇺🇸