Trying to Cancel Service is a Joke

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoshandAlly
New Poster

Trying to Cancel Service is a Joke

I keep trying to call and cancel this absolutely horrible internet service. I don’t even care about paying their measly $300 fee. What I am more pissed off about is that every time you call it just kicks you off right after you say under account management to cancel service if just ends your call! I will be recording it the next time I call. If it does it again I will send back their **bleep**ty equipment and I will not pay them a dime! Impossible to cancel when no one actually answers the phone after you say that’s what you’re calling for. Scam artists. I would never recommend this company to anyone!
8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Unfortunately, you can only cancel via phone; and due to the pandemic the lines are very busy. 

Statement posted on the main page of this site: "To protect the health of the representatives at our customer care call centers, we are following approved Covid-19 guidelines. These actions have resulted in longer than usual wait times."

Try at different times, in the middle of the night, during weekends, etc. 

GabeU

@JoshandAlly wrote:
If it does it again I will send back their **bleep**ty equipment 

I wouldn't advise doing that.  If the equipment is not sent back in the proper manner, as in the equipment return kit they send when your service is cancelled, there's no guarantee you'll be credited for it, and the collections you'd be placed in for refusing to pay for it would not be a pleasant thing.  

The following is an alternate number for cancellation... 877-329-1403.   You may have better luck getting through, though you'll likely still have a hold time if/when you do.

I tried calling 877-329-1403. After a mere 20 minutes someone sort of came on the phone, I think. I couldn't here them. I asked that they speak up. I was disconnected. 

I have tried calling, emailing, I even waited 40 minutes to do a "live chat" at the end of which she said someone would call me back in 2 minutes (this was last month). 

How can you cancel when they don't have the staff to answer the phones, their automated phone system simply hangs up when you reach them, and they won't let you cancel any other way? I know it is a trying time, but I am moving on Sunday and I need to know what to do with this equipment. I have had their service for well over 2.5 years so there is no cancellation fee, I just need to know how to cancel. 

GabeU

@Jeff98014 

Unfortunately, the only way to cancel is by phone.  If you can, I would try later at night, but before 12AM EST, as I believe that department closes at that point (though I could be wrong).  

And though this is in no way an excuse and or an attempt to dismiss your frustration, which is no doubt significant, they're receiving a very high number of calls since the start of the pandemic, and they too are understaffed because of it.  Again, that's not an excuse, but only an explanation for it's so difficult to get hold of them right now.  😞

I have tried various times of day and night, including close to midnight (East Coast time). I realize that they have limited staff. And I realize that in normal times the reason they want you to call is to try to get you to stay (and possibly upgrade). Annoying, but everyone does it. However, they really need to adapt to be able to cancel via email or some other method that meets their security requirements. I can't even stop my autopayment online. 

GabeU

@Jeff98014 

I wholeheartedly agree that, at least until things start calming down, they should create another method for cancellation.  The main reason they want it done of the phone is for security purposes, but I'm sure that they could ask the required security questions in a chat session.

It is getting ridiculous. I tried the 877 number again, someone answered after a mere 8 minutes. And Jorge immediately disconnected after asking how he could help. I then tried the main number, but this time I asked for help with billing. Got someone in about 10 minutes but when I asked to 1 - stop the autopayment and 2 - cancel, he said he would be right back after talking to the cancelation team. Apparently he shuffled me back into the hold queue where I have been for the last 15 minutes or so. I am trying to be patient. 

I am moving this weekend. Should I simple take all the equipment with me and try to get in touch with them from my new location or leave the equipment for the new folks? 

GabeU

@Jeff98014 

If it ends up being the case that you cannot get hold of them before you move, I would take the modem, power supply and radio from the dish with you.  When you do get hold of them you can give them the new address to send the equipment return kit so that you can send the equipment back.  

This PDF shows what they will need and gives instructions for removing the radio from the dish setup.  Don't actually send the equipment back until you get the return kit, though, as that return kit will include an invoice and a pre-paid return label that must accompany the equipment in order to get credit for having returned it.  They send the equipment return kit within a couple of days of your service termination.  

Also, just for information, since you're moving I'd make sure that you request an immediate cancellation.  This way you don't end up paying for the rest of the month of service that you won't be using.  Their normal policy is to terminate the service at the end of the current service month, but if you're not going to be there to use it it's best to request that immediate cancellation, and you'll receive a credit for the rest of the current month that you won't be using.  And don't take no for an answer.  Even though cancelling it at the end of the current service month is the standard method, you do have the right to that immediate cancellation.

Edit:  I changed the wording from "current billing month" to "current service month", as the billing date and new service month start date aren't always the same.