Unsatisfied With service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevenoble
Freshman

Unsatisfied With service

I have tried the service for about nine months now, due to our rural locale having any type of internet service is a challenge. We mainly have the service for our security system, it has two cameras (the very minimum to support). We upgrade all the way to a business account hoping that would allow us to be able to stream the cameras, still virtually a hit and miss if the cameras worked, and of course if it was overcast absolutely no service for the cams. Anyways we found a couple of options with wireless service the last couple of months that have solved the camera streaming issue and have been able to add the full array of cameras back.

Today I call in to cancel the service and find out that it's $575 ETF, after much discussion, (over 1 hour on the phone altogether with 2 CSR), they suggested to go to a $69.99/month rate for the next 12 months and then I'll only have 3 months to figure out.

As a small business owner if I was to run my business this way I would not stay in business, you guys are asking me to pay another $575 for something that does not work. once again I should have read the contract better but I would never want to charge someone for something that they are not going to use or want, again HughesNet takes advantage of situations instead of being a good neighbor, hope you guys can sleep at night know you're taking in money and not providing a service, very close to scammers and one step up from outright stealing.

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This community is only for residential subscribers.  If you need help with anything relating to a business account, you need to call the business account customer service line. 

GabeU

@stevenoble 

Just like many other companies, HughesNet has a subscriber agreement that stipulates an early termination fee.  And yes, you should have read that agreement, and the Business Account subscriber agreement when you switched to a Business account.   

@stevenoble wrote:

... for something that does not work.  

If you're having issues with your service, I suggest calling 800-347-3272 for customer support.  This Community is primarily for Residential customers, so you would need to call that number to get help with your Business account.  

@stevenoble wrote:

HughesNet takes advantage of situations instead of being a good neighbor 

Following the letter of the agreement and charging you the ETF that is stipulated in that agreement is not taking advantage of a situation.  It is charging the ETF that you agreed to when terminating the service before the end of the agreed upon commitment.

maratsade

"being a good neighbor "

They're not your neighbour. They're a for profit company, selling a service. 

They are definitely not a good neighbor, only a for profit company based on "greed". I consider my business as being a good neighbor from the standpoint that if I charge someone for my service then they get the service expected, if not I don't charge them for my inconvenience. Again this is a company that has to operate within a captive market, and therefore fair customer service does not mean anything to them, otherwise they would be able to compete with other ISP in a competitive area. They are just taking advantage of the folks that only have the one option. All of us are neighbors in one sense or another, you are part of what the real problem by not taking ownership of being responsible. so you feel that something is written into an agreement for an EFT releases the entity from not having to provide the service per the agreement.

maratsade

They are a merchant, not a neighbour at all, and they're a for profit company.   Not sure why anyone can realistically  expect them to be anyone's neighbour. 

Forget the neighbor comments, that's beyond your ability to appreciate, I do have one question for you, do you feel that if they cannot provide their service they are still due the ETF?

GabeU

@stevenoble wrote:

Forget the neighbor comments, that's beyond your ability to appreciate, I do have one question for you, do you feel that if they cannot provide their service they are still due the ETF?

Whether security cameras will work depends on a number of things, and them not working well with HughesNet doesn't mean HughesNet isn't providing you with service.  It just means it's not working for your desired activity.  When it comes to using specific devices, with security cameras being one of them, satellite internet can be fickle, and they may not always work properly.

With the information so far given, and I'm not asking for more due to the HughesNet reps in this support community not being able to help with business accounts anyway, the ETF would still be valid.  Only a HughesNet rep can make a determination as to whether an ETF can be waived, and it is only done under certain conditions, with one being an overall service issue that cannot be resolved after extensive troubleshooting.

If their service will not do what is promise and/or advertised then they have failed in honoring their side of the agreement, or at least in my world that's how it works, I would never expect one of my customers to continue to pay a monthly service or an EFT if I could not provide the service. AND it's not because they haven't been given the chance, they have provided service to another family member not more than a mile from me and they are able to stream and run security cameras at the same time, so I know they can provide it. If it was something we were doing on our end I would understand, I'm in the service business, if I can't provide the service then I don't charge a customer just for showing up.

maratsade

That's a very simplistic view of a multivariate situation.

stevenoble wrote:

If their service will not do what is promise and/or advertised then they have failed in honoring their side of the agreement, or at least in my world that's how it works, I would never expect one of my customers to continue to pay a monthly service or an EFT if I could not provide the service. AND it's not because they haven't been given the chance, they have provided service to another family member not more than a mile from me and they are able to stream and run security cameras at the same time, so I know they can provide it. If it was something we were doing on our end I would understand, I'm in the service business, if I can't provide the service then I don't charge a customer just for showing up.

I think it's "kiss" to you, maybe you can simplify your life just a wee bit, have a great evening