Hughesnet Community

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lea

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

We have had HughesNet for several years. Nothing has changed with our computer settings. Everything updates in the middle of the night during free time. Our wifi has a 24 character password! Our neighbors all have DSL. Our allowance is being used up overnight while no one is using it. Went to bed with 32% and have Zero this morning.
178 REPLIES 178
Liz

Lea,

We have issued tokens at no charge to you, you may have received an e-mail regarding this update.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Thanks Liz 🙂
Liz

No, thank YOU, Charles. 😄

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Lea

Signal strength bounces between 173 and 178.  Normalized Power Word is 36.
I just used 6% looking at new pictures on facebook.  No videos.  I don't even know whats normal anymore.  Thanks Liz, I did just get an email from Hughesnet saying thank you for your order.  Was wondering what it was about.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Probably means she gave you some free tokens to make up for the data loss.

EDIT: Yea, several posts above she said she was issuing some tokens.  🙂
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Hi Lea, like Liz mentioned your signal and power word look really good so that rules that out, so we are back to the individual computers causing it What browser are you using? 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Charles, I think your first post was the right track to figure out what is causing it. Should eliminate the router entirely while trying to figure it out. My 2 cents.  🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Yup, get down to single directly connected computer. Taking any potential wireless "leaks" out of the picture in one stroke.

Just for giggles, is there any "I" anything in the house ?
ios 8 and 8.0.2 is out and those things can be sneaky.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Lea try installing this program it will show you what programs are using what in real time. 
https://www.glasswire.com/
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Lea here is the link to a software that you can install on your windows based computers that will show you what programs are running and how much data they are each using. it is free and very easy to read. I have it on mine and it works great.
https://www.glasswire.com/
Lea

Thanks, I'll get it done as soon as I can. Crazy day around here.  Today's data doesn't look to bad.  When it refilled this morning I got 8% more than expected. 
Ron4

Charles,

That little program is still in Beta 1 only been out briefly, only downloaded 186 times, and reviewed by 2 people. One says it takes 20-40MB of RAM to run.

Are you sure it isn't sending information out and using more unexplained allotment loss? I imagine you have tested it. Just askin...

Ron

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Actually it on is 2nd beta release and the memory issue was fixed in the 2nd release, and yes Im sure its not sending any information to anyone, if you join their forum you can see the answers to all of your questions. as for mine I have been running it for 2 day and is only using 65KB of memory and .01% CPU  I was also featured in PCWORLD Mag.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Ron,

Until Charles can respond:

Windows Task Manager shows a small amount of RAM assigned to GlassWire:

As to it "calling home" (I use Net Guard to monitor usage) Net Guard indicates there has been no upload activity on the part of GlassWire. The computer has only been turned on for about an hour at this point. If I see GlassWire doing a "data dump" later in the day I'll report back:

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Thanks Gwalk900 I got hung in the login process, lol and yours looks pretty close to mine when it come to memory usage. 🙂
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

hey yours is using less memory then mine, lol guess its time for my monthly reboot. lol
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

that post above was suppose to say It was featured in PCWORLD not( I was )
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

That was a good one !

Tell us Charles ,,,, how long have you been the center of your own universe ?

LOL !

I missed it until you pointed it out, Thanks, I needed a laugh !

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Hahaha according to my wife about 50 years, lol
Ron4

Speaking of delay time/report back.

Is there a delay in the use meter figures?

I'm still using the old one as it is not clear that it works on the daily allotment plan?

I notice the speed history in the speed test doesn't show the last run if I click on it real fast, and the data use page says it is not up to the real time moment. Possibly that could be confusing some folks when they think time is going away after they unplug their modem?

Ron

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Possible, but you really need to install the latest meter, the older meters have problems such as being inaccurate, I think 1 version had a memory leak and the older ones do take longer to report correctly