Hughesnet Community

Why am I getting charged termination fee for something that was Hughesnet fault?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Courtney58
Freshman

Why am I getting charged termination fee for something that was Hughesnet fault?

Let me explain my situation. Back in January I moved to a new apartment. Technician came out to install Hughesnet dish and I told him my landlord would not allow it on the roof and I didn't want the service if there was no where else to put it. I put technician on the phone with landlord and they decided to put it on the porch railing. At the time it worked, but once the leaves starting filling in on the trees the signal was disrupted. When the technician came out and told me that was the reason for the service disruption, he said it should never have been placed there in the first place. I was told the roof was the only place to get service at this point. I had to cancel as my landlord would not allow it. Everyone I have talked to on the phone as well as the technicians say it was not my fault but they won't refund my termination fee. Not only that my service was sporadic for the first part of May and totally not working the last half of May. I had to pay for service for the whole month? Why is this company so greedy? I am retired on a fixed income. I can't afford this. I don't understand how Hughesnet can treat people this way.

Linda Courtney

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning Courtney58,

Thank you for your patience while your case was reviewed.  Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MarkJFine
Professor

@Courtney58 wrote:

...I put technician on the phone with landlord and they decided to put it on the porch railing...

The tech and lanlord agreed put the dish there, but you were the final go-ahead. You had the final say. You ultimately allowed it, tacitly signing the contract, despite it being the wrong thing to do.

So, how was that HughesNet's fault exactly?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

The Hughesnet tech should have been able to see the line of trees in the path of the satellite and known that once the leaves came in the signal would be blocked. It is not MY job to think of these things. I don't know anything about satellite. So yes it was Hughesnet's fault for placing the dish in a spot that had trees that were going to develop leaves in the spring and block signal. Who's fault do you think it is? Everyone I talked to--the techs and billing said it wasn't my fault and were sorry it happened but couldn't refund the termination fee. Don't know why I should have to pay for something not my fault.

Wrong. You said he initially was going to put it on the roof, where it should have gone in the first place. You stopped him.

Don't play the ignorance card. Take responsibility for your poor decision.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Where did I say he was initially going to put it on the roof? I said to him right off the landlord did not want it on the roof IF that was going to be his idea. He hadn't told me he wanted to put on roof. So he tried other places and found the porch railing and then talked to my landlord about that location which they approved. Why did he not notice that there was a big line of trees that would block signal when leaves bloomed on them? I did not make the poor decision, the tech did!

Liz

Hi Courtney58, 

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. While the customer does have the final say and must sign off on the installation, I'm escalating this to our field services department on their input on this sort of scenario.  Your patience and understanding are much appreciated. I'll post back once I have an update.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank You Liz! I'll be patient until you get a update. 

Good morning Courtney58,

Thank you for your patience while your case was reviewed.  Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Thank you so much Liz. I appreciate it.

Good morning Courtney58,

You're welcome, if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out again.