Hughesnet Community

Why do I have less data on the first of the month than what I pay for each month?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelley.nesbitt5
Freshman

Why do I have less data on the first of the month than what I pay for each month?

March 1: 6.3GB Feb 1: 5GB on my usage chart instead of 10 that I pay for.

15 REPLIES 15
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Is your data supposed to reset on the first of every month? My data, for example, resets on the 9th of every month. 

Yes, it resets at the first of every month.
maratsade

Might be something chewing up data (smart home, DirecTV on demand, something along those lines that can eat data very quickly) -- I'm sure the Hughesnet staff on the site can check out your site remoitely and see what may be going on.  I hope you get this resolved soon!

Thanks, even if I do have those things, the meter should start at 10 GB that I pay for and not anything less. See photos. I couldn't get my new laptop to take screen shots, sorry. As you can tell, my cycle is the 1st of every month as there is no data available on the last day of February.  And Yes, by day 3 of every month, I have used 10 GB of data...Feb Usage.jpgMarch usage.jpg

This might sound counter-intuitive, but the graph will show what was left at the end of the day, not what it starts with.

Therefore, looking at March, it looks like 10-6.3GB (or 3.7GB) was used in the first day. Judging from the slope of the curve, that usage seems consistent and would definitely run out by the third day.

I would seriously look for what might be draining that fast, which is typically something like movies or TV shows that are recording on-demand rather than live. Doing a lot of 'cloud' operations such as Google Docs (et. al.) will also use a lot of data, and might contribute to that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi Mike,

No Google Docs or cloud using here and my DirectTv is not set up for internet access. I'll try one of the programs that Liz suggested and hopefully it will shed some light. It's the same every month. 

Hi Kelley,

Thanks for posting screenshots, these help. What maratsade and MarkJFine suggested are good tips to follow first. Since you're using a HT1100 modem, I'm unable to see what's currently connected to it. Major culprits of massive data depletion are set top boxes like DiSH Hoppers and DirecTV devices. When connected to the internet, they are constantly communicating/updating, using data. We suggest disconnecting them when not in use.

If you don't have one of those devices, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Additional tips on data management and understanding data leaks can be found here:

https://hninfo.us/datatips

https://hninfo.us/DataLeaks

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz,

Thank you for the information. I do not have my DirectTv accessing the internet because I knew it would use my data. The only thing connected is the wifi router. I have (1) laptop/printer set up that is connected via WiFi. After school, there are a total of (3) cell phones connected to wifi. We do not stream from the laptops. My son watches YouTube videos from his phone and my daughter may watch Netflix from her phone. Would that deplete the data in 3 days?

HD videos can use 3 GB per hour. Make sure your Netflix playback settings are set to standard (SD) or low definition to conserve data.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Trying to download the GlassWire, 3 hours to download....33.9 MB. I'll check the Netflix settings but not sure that would be the ultimate culprit since she sporatically usings the app and wouldn't it essentially quit working while smart browsing or whatever happens after I used my 10 GB?

maratsade

"Trying to download the GlassWire, 3 hours to download....33.9 MB."

Yikes. If you still have data, this could be due to congestion at the time you're trying to download. 

Good morning Kelley,

You're out of Anytime Bytes, so as a courtesy I've sent you some complimentary tokens to help you download GlassWire and investigate your unknown data usage.

To use your data tokens, access your Usage Meter (the application or online). Click the Buy Tokens button. The next screen will show you the number of tokens available for use. Click the Use link next to the number of tokens you have. This will increase your TOKEN BYTES AVAILABLE amount, not your Anytime Bytes, and restore speeds.

Thank you, Liz. Now that it's Monday, I'll attempt the download again and will advise.

Good morning Kelley,

Hopefully you're already getting acquainted with the GlassWire software. As it is a third party product, us mods can't provide support for it, but you're free to ask other customers here like yourself for any tips on using GlassWire.

For your convenience, here are links to their user guide and their support forum:

https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/

https://forum.glasswire.com/

Hi, I'm gonna close this thread since it's gone inactive. Please start a new thread if you have any other concerns.