customer unservice

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cooperbrowdy
New Poster

customer unservice

After a two tear stint in the purgatory of Hughes net which included: very slow speeds data caps no streaming ability and very high cost Upon ending our relationship I find that they want me to climb on my two story house to remove a transponder that their technician installed or they will charge me $300

17 REPLIES 17
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@cooperbrowdy 

HughesNet does offer a de-install service.  You can inquire about it by calling 866-347-3292.  I believe the fee is either $100 or $125, though I'm not positive.   However, you would still be responsible for sending the equipment back in the equipment return kit that they send you.

Hack saw

Tommarsh

Wow,

The modem in my house stopped working and they had the guts to charge me $125 to replace their modem.  I will be dropping this BS service as soon as my contract is up.  We need to let others know how bad this company treats its customers.

maratsade

You had a bad experience and you automatically assume everyone has bad experiences? That's pretty ignorant. 

Also, if you post under myAccount and Billing or under Tech Support, and explain, without rudeness, what happened,  a HN employee will check your account, and you may end up with a refund or a free new modem.   Your choice, of course. Maybe you prefer being rude and grumpy.  

Tommarsh wrote:

Wow,

The modem in my house stopped working and they had the guts to charge me $125 to replace their modem.  I will be dropping this BS service as soon as my contract is up.  We need to let others know how bad this company treats its customers.

Three recent posts, all of them off-topic gripes. #smh

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Three recent posts, all of them off-topic gripes. #smh

And the vast majority of them from new members who never bothered to ask for help, but rather just signed up to drop one off complaints.

maratsade

A drive by whine.  So pointless it's not even funny. 

GabeU wrote:

And the vast majority of them from new members who never bothered to ask for help, but rather just signed up to drop one off complaints.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

It will never change.

GabeU

@Reggie wrote:

It will never change.

Unfortunately, no, it won't.  😞

But, I am glad that the majority who use this community do so for its intended purpose, as in asking for help and, for those who choose to, attempting to help those asking for it.  🙂 

myent64
Freshman

Our experience exactly--we live in an area where high speed internet was not available when we first arrived, so we got HughesNet internet to fill the gap--it seemed to be the most highly rated dish internet service. In hindsight, we should have just paid the extra fees for unlimited phone data/hotspot connections, because the internet from HughesNet was patchy and slow, even during "fast" periods. The worst part of our experience, though, was upon attempting to end our service after almost two years of being on-time customers. Unbeknownst to us, when you cancel your HughesNet, they expect you to return a part of the satellite dish that *a professional* installed **on your roof**. If you fail to do this, you incur almost $400 in extra fees. In our case, we did venture onto our roof, once we found a friend with a ladder high enough and safe enough to make the attempt, and returned the requested part. However, we were then informed by HughesNet that there is apparently a "108 day" rule, where if you return the part after 108 days, you forfeit your $400. Never mind that you performed their extremely unsafe request and climbed onto your roof to retrieve their equipment, never mind that they now have this equipment in their inventory, never mind that you may have done this within 113 days, and never mind that you were never once informed about the 108 day policy. They are keeping your $400. Frankly, I am appalled at such a company policy. I will never again consider HughesNet as a viable option, and I would never recommend to anyone that they should go with this service for their internet. Please, save your time, money, and safety and choose unlimited data through your phone service provider.

maratsade

Unbeknownst to you?  That can only happen if potential subscribers don't bother to do research before signing up for service. The information is right there on the HN website and on the HN legal site. They explain how everything works and how much everything costs. But many subscribers are so rabid to be able to stream or play games, that they believe the line a salesperson gives them and sign up blindly, without verifying anything. And later, when they learn about the small print that they should have read prior to subscribing, they get angry and decide to blame everyone but thenselves.  

Anyone who is looking to start a subscription would be smart to read the small print before signing, and don't believe what salesmen tell you. They're just like any other salesperson, they may or may not tell you the whole story, and since salesmanship is not a new thing, you can't claim you didn't know or that you were lied to. 

Prevent later frustrations by doing your due diligence,  and research before you sign up, not after the fact. 

myent64 wrote:

Unbeknownst to us, when you cancel your HughesNet, they expect you to return a part of the satellite dish that *a professional* installed **on your roof**. If you fail to do this, you incur almost $400 in extra fees.

Wow, HughesNet. It’s amazing that you were able to find someone to respond to my genuine customer service complaint within an hour of my posting it. And not just anyone—nope, your awesome customer service record continues with this unhelpful response by the troll @maratsade. I’m not really sure where to begin here because this response, instead of being well-reasoned and conversational, is argumentative, unreasonable, and slightly nasty. However, in my final message to HughesNet before I close the door on this entirely ridiculous customer service experience, let me just say—no, HughesNet, it is not enough to bury exorbitant fees (~$400) and patently unsafe conditions (requiring lay persons to scale their own roofs to return equipment that you placed there and you want returned) on the “HN website” and the “HN legal site.” Even assuming that burying such conditions in this way passes muster in the world of consumer case law (debatable), here is the point: the practice of requiring consumers to scale their own roofs is PATENTLY UNSAFE. You can send your troll to reply to this with whatever he chooses, but this is a hard fact. Case in point: When we cancelled our Dish service, we were asked if our satellite would require a ladder to reach. When we said it would, they automatically eliminated all requirements for returning satellite components. Thank you, Dish, for being a rational, reasonable, and ethical company. I would return to your services in the future in a heartbeat. HughesNet, you leave much to be desired in both service and your regard for your customers. And no, it is not a valid argument to say that “since salesmanship is not a new thing,” it is ok to lie by omission to customers. You know what else is “not a new thing”? Thievery, assault, fraud, unsafe and unfair consumer practices—the list goes on, and “being around for a long time” makes not one of them “ok” to do.

From other posted complaint threads on this “community” site, I would not be surprised to see further responses to this message from @maratsade or other trolls, so please do not expect any further responses from me, no matter what nonsense you choose to reply with. To be honest, HughesNet, a company that treats people as poorly as you have is not worth any more of my time or effort.

@myent64If you have a technical problem, take it to Technical Support.

This is not the place for venting or ranting as it likely won't be seen by corporate reps.

You'd also likely to get more help from people if you make it concise and to the point instead of producing two long-winded, meandering diatribes.

Make that three...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Unbeknownst to you?  That can only happen if potential subscribers don't bother to do research before signing up for service.  

But it's so much easier to complain about it afterwards.

yes to that!!!!..I was nottold a 2-yr contract ..nor about data caps..a veteran trying to save money ..got slighted!!..they suck!

breach of contract!..i will not honor!

@jackie2010 wrote:

yes to that!!!!..I was nottold a 2-yr contract ..nor about data caps..a veteran trying to save money ..got slighted!!..they suck!

GabeU

@jackie2010 wrote:

The data caps are a part of choosing a plan during the sales call.  The two year contract is mentioned during the final disclosure, after which they ask if you agree to what has been read to you.  

However, if you believe that these things were not disclosed, and it's been no more than about three months since your sales call, you can request a sales call review.  You can do so in the "MyAccount and Billing" section.  If it's determined that appropriate expectations were not set during the sales call, you may have recourse.