Hughesnet Community

if been having problems how can I get out of contract without early termination fees is there a way

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevenfrommo
Sophomore

if been having problems how can I get out of contract without early termination fees is there a way

just need to get out of my contract been having problems since started tried working things out but still same slow bad service can not do anything like watch movies,or on demand dont use wifi or nothing that might take away data only ben 11 days already down to 50% of data left & thats after not being to do anything but check email & facebook please help me to get out of this with no big fees please thanks

51 REPLIES 51
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

stevenfrommo,

Welcome to the Hughesnet Community.

Usually there is no way to get out of your contract if you have gone beyond the first 30 days of service unless you feel you was lied to by the sells represenative and Hughesnet can find the sales call and can confirm that the rep misrepresented service.

If you are trying to stream movies or video, I highly suggest looking into setting the playback resolution to SD and avoid HD video as HD Video consumes large amounts of data (about 1GB per hour or more).  I also suggest avoiding having your DirecTV or DishNetwork reciever connected to the Hughesnet system as this will consume vast amounts of data as they will download program guide information constantly.

The Official Corporate Hughesnet Represenatives are out of the office for the weekend, but will be back on Monday, they tend to be here M-F, around 8:00AM to 5:00PM Eastern, and will respond to this thread then.

If you would like to troubleshoot your system performance, please let the community know what model modem you have, service plan level, and we will get some data gathered up for the moderators when they come in on Monday.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

I am not streaming anything not watching or playing music or nothing but checking email & facebook thats it paying $60 a month is not worth it need to get out of contract asap

my ESN:10818253 on gen 4 with 10gb a month I have 4 ad blockers I dont use direct tv or use wifi lose service alot when few drops of rain no service decided to just use my phone to do things so need to get out of this contract please thanks

Same here wish i had known and talked to somebody before signing contract!

.  BEWARE  the service is that bad.matter of fact if it was given free i would so no Thank you.

HT 1100 is modem using

got no response from anybody that shows me just how important us customers are my hughes net went down 7 times today am sick of it & want out asap send my boxes so can send equipment back thanks

stevenfrommo,

To cancel service please call Hughesnet at (866) 347-3292, but at this point you will still be locked into the contract, there's no way out unless you was flat out lied to during the sales call and the Corporate Reps here listen and agree.

If you would like to troubleshoot then a few things need to be done, you seem to have complained about it being slow, and data being used too quickly.

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, this is known as an isolation test and will help determine whether the issue about excessive data use is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo datahog2_zpsijjnkamn.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible. 

Also, note that it can take 2 business days for a Hughesnet Rep to respond to a post.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

do not understand how they can continue to bill your credit card if you cancel it or report it stolen?????? This might be off topic but i have seen several posts about people getting billed without any notice or warning are we talking about a bank account or credit card or both??? just curious

@2lavinda

Hughes has a considerable investment in new subscribers in terms of installation, equipment and other costs.

Hughes has two methods of payment available, Auto-Draft and Invoice Billing with Auto-Draft being the default.

Here in part is the payment  section of the HughesNet Customer Subscriber Agreement (Gen4 version)

1.4 METHOD OF PAYMENT.

Except where additional methods of payment are specifically required or permitted under applicable law or regulation, or where Hughes explicitly and in advance permits another method of payment, you agree that you will provide a major credit or charge card (i.e., MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover) that Hughes may charge for all Service fees or other amounts payable under this Agreement (including Early Termination Fees and Unreturned Equipment Fees). You hereby authorize automatic credit or charge card billing by Hughes for all such charges. You further agree that the charges described above will be billed to the credit or charge card that you have provided when you applied for the Service.

Further down we read:

PART III – PAYMENT

6 FEES.

6.1 FEES, TAXES AND OTHER CHARGES.

You agree to pay, in advance, and in accordance with the provisions of the billing option you selected, any registration, activation, and/or monthly fees, minimum charges, and other amounts charged to or incurred by you, or by users of your account, at the rates in effect for the billing period in which those amounts are charged or incurred. You agree to pay all applicable taxes and Universal Service assessments related to your use of the Service or the use of the Service by users of your account. Information on charges and surcharges (if any) that are to be paid to us and are incurred by you or by users of your account will be made available to you on the Website, and you agree that this is sufficient notice for all purposes as to charges incurred and paid or to be paid to us. In addition, you also agree to pay a surcharge on your service to cover Hughes’ liability for the payment of personal property taxes which may be owing by Hughes in respect of the equipment provided pursuant to this Agreement. Hughes reserves the right to increase fees, surcharges, or monthly subscription fees, or to institute new fees at any time upon thirty (30) days’ prior notice. You understand and acknowledge that you may not receive a bill in the mail for your Service. Additional terms relating to pricing, billing and payment are set forth and available on the Website.

6.2 PAYMENT.

YOU MUST PROVIDE CURRENT, COMPLETE, AND ACCURATE INFORMATION FOR YOUR BILLING ACCOUNT. YOU MUST PROMPTLY UPDATE ALL INFORMATION IN ORDER TO KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT CURRENT, COMPLETE, AND ACCURATE (SUCH AS A CHANGE IN BILLING ADDRESS, CREDIT CARD NUMBER, OR CREDIT CARD EXPIRATION DATE). CHANGES TO SUCH INFORMATION CAN BE MADE AT www.myHughesNet.com. IF YOU FAIL TO PROVIDE US WITH ANY OF THE FOREGOING INFORMATION, YOU AGREE THAT HUGHES MAY CONTINUE CHARGING YOU FOR ANY SERVICE PROVIDED UNDER YOUR ACCOUNT, AND THAT YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LATE FEES ASSOCIATED WITH HUGHES’ INABILITY TO OBTAIN PAYMENT BASED ON BILLING INFORMATION YOU HAVE PROVIDED. You agree that all charges are considered valid unless disputed in writing within fifteen (15) days after the date you receive your credit or charge card bill. You agree that Hughes will not be responsible for any expenses that you may incur resulting from overdrawing your bank account or exceeding your credit limit as a result of an automatic charge made under this Agreement.

In the event that you used a debit card to activate your subscription, you authorize Hughes to initiate debit entries to your checking or savings account, as the case may be, for payment of the monthly charge for the Service. Hughes, pursuant to this authorization, will debit the monthly service charge for the Service from your account each month. In addition, Hughes will deduct from your account any and all early termination charges arising from termination of your Service prior to its required minimum term. Hughes will not be responsible for any overdraft or other third-party fees or penalties resulting from Hughes debiting from your account any amount authorized by this Agreement or any other agreement between you and Hughes. Hughes will charge a return fee for each debit that is declined by your bank. The return fee will vary from state to state and will be the maximum amount allowed in each state.

You acknowledge that the recurring debit authorized hereunder will purchase the Service and that Hughes will continue to debit monies from your account until you revoke this authorization by going online to www.myHughesNet.com to change payment method or by mailing a written request to:

HughesNet Customer Service
11717 Exploration Lane
Germantown, MD 20876

Credit card payment is not required for residents of states where payment by credit cards may not be made mandatory. In the event that, for whatever reason, services charges are paid by you pursuant to a paper invoice to be prepared by Hughes, Hughes will charge you an additional administrative fee of $5.00 per month. Further, in the event that checks submitted by you are returned for insufficient funds, or if your account is suspended for non-payment, and you wish to restore Services, in addition to other charges which may be applicable, you may be liable for an additional administrative charge of up to $25.00. If you think a charge is incorrect or you need more information, you should contact our billing department. You must contact us within sixty (60) days after receiving the statement on which the error or problem appeared. Hughes will make available to you a statement for each billing cycle showing payments, credit purchases, and other charges. Payment of the outstanding balance is due in full each month, and may be billed in advance or pre-charged as set forth above. If your payment is not received by us before the next statement is issued, you may be charged interest on the delinquent balance at the lesser of one and one-half percent (1.5%) per month or the maximum rate permitted by applicable law, prorated on a daily basis. Hughes may, but is not required to, accept partial payments from you. If partial payments are made, they will be applied to statements starting with the oldest outstanding statement. If you send us checks or money orders marked “payment in full” or otherwise labeled with restrictive endorsements, Hughes can, but is not required to, accept them, without losing any of Hughes’ rights to collect all amounts owed by you under this Agreement. In the case of late payment or non-payment, you understand and agree that Hughes may report such late payment or non-payment to the appropriate credit reporting agencies. If Hughes chooses to use any collection agency or *** EDIT FOR FILTER legal people **** to collect money that you owe us or to assert any other right which we may have against you, you agree to pay the reasonable costs of collection or other action including, but not limited to, the costs of a collection agency, reasonable ***** EDIT FOR FILTERS legal *****’ fees, and court costs, as provided by applicable law.

The complete agreement can be read here:

http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-01-01-15.cfm

still nothing from anybody getting better only lost service 6 times today when am I going to hear from anybody

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. C0RR0SIVE has already provided the right information to get you on the right track. Giving us a call right when service goes out is a faster way to get your system checked. I'm curious as to what your diagnostics will show, so please check your Private Messages and reply to my PM to confirm your account.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

my email is steveninliberty@yahoo not getting notifications from this when have it set up to do so just another downfall with your awesome service

Good morning Steven,

Thank you for PMing me. I ran diagnostics on your site and decided to send you a replacement modem to see if that will address your intermittent connectivity concerns. You may use the same box to return your current modem with the return label located in the outer pouch. Please let me know how the new modem works out for you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

out of town for now will try new modem when get back.. just hope I dont get charged for it.if modem doesnt work then what???

Good morning Steven,

The modem is complimentary. If you find that you're still experiencing intermittent connectivity, I would suggest temporarily keeping the modem plugged into a wall outlet and your computer plugged directly into the modem to see if the connection dropping persists.

got new modem hooked up & set up still having the same problem after a hour the system light went out just like it has done before of course lost connection I hate it right in the middle of something & lose connection I have decided I am done with hughes.net its not worth paying over $60 monthly & have this rotten poor service that I have had with hughes so please send me them return boxes so I can return everything back,please dont charge me for early termination fees I feel I have paid that many times by paying & not get good service from hughes.thanks for trying to help fix the problems but still didnt work.I hope to get return boxes soon

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting back and letting me know of your system performance after replacing the modem. With the modem ruled out as the cause of your disconnects, I'm sure that you are one of many people affected by a timing issue our engineers found on your beam.

In the tech support board, other members were reporting similar experiences, to which I provided an update last night:

Our engineers confirmed a timing issue affecting your beams, 21 and 29. A fix for this has been recommended to the network engineers, but the implementation date has yet to be determined. Once I get word on when this will roll out, I will let you know.

I have no issue with crediting your account until this fix is rolled out, but if you would rather not wait, please check your PMs.

still messed up here.. How much you going to credit me??I knew something was wrong why couldnt you all have checked it out sooner its very annoying to have it go down so many times a day.still plan on leaving hughes from all the problems I have had.