Amazon Prime Day is coming!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Amazon Prime Day is coming!

Amazon Prime Day is July 16 (afternoon)-July 17 (all day). If you're thinking of buying any electronics (or anything), I'd advise waiting for Prime Day. If you don't have Prime, this would be a good time to sign up for a free trial.

Two years ago I got a Fitbit for my daughter at half price. I've also gotten a refurbished TV, a Dell refurbished laptop, HDMI cables, and other electronics at a fraction of the regular price on Prime Day. Some deals go really fast (Fitbits), so look early!

Because of my arthritis, I'm a heavy Amazon user. Why haul a 40 lb box of cat litter out to my car, then take it out of my car and lug it up the steps when Amazon will bring it right to my doorstep for cheaper? I also buy paper products and cleaning products 3 times a year with Prime Pantry, where you fill up a huge box for $5 shipping, which more than pays for itself with the super cheap prices available only on Prime Pantry items. As a scholar, I buy tons of books, almost always used, for next to nothing. LOL, my mail carrier hates me. The other day when he was lugging a fairly heavy shelving unit I bought and 4 40 lb boxes of cat litter (will last 6 months) up the steps, he told my daughter, "Tell your mom there's help for Amazon addiction!"

ANYWAY...my point is, if you're considering some electronics purchases, wait for Prime Day!
70 REPLIES 70
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:
Because of my arthritis, I'm a heavy Amazon user. Why haul a 40 lb box of cat litter out to my car, then take it out of my car and lug it up the steps when Amazon will bring it right to my doorstep for cheaper? 

My folks and I just started using Chewy for our pet products.  It's much easier than having to drive 27 miles to my vet to get my cat's prescription food or my folks having to drive 20 miles to a store that carries their dog food.  And though, at least in my case, the cat food is about the same price, it's nice having it delivered for free.  

I haven't ordered litter from Chewy yet, but the next time either I, or they, place an order and it's over $50, or the litter would help to bring it to over $50, I might very well do so.  🙂  

As for Prime Day, I didn't realize it was coming.  I just signed up for the free Prime trial on June 20th, and had I known Prime day was coming I would have waited to order my Raspberry Pi Zero W instead of ordering it on Tuesday.  😞  Still, it's not like it was terribly expensive.  If it was I would REALLY be kicking myself right now.  😛 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

...if only you poor poor people knew what Prime Day does to the employees.  I HATE Prime Day with a passion... Almost as much as Peak Season... -.-

maratsade

Must be a pretty crazy time for employees. I have Prime but Prime Day has never appealed to me. 

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

...if only you poor poor people knew what Prime Day does to the employees.  I HATE Prime Day with a passion... Almost as much as Peak Season... -.-

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

First this is only my opinion. Not meant to insult anyone. All the online shopping is making people LAZIER than they normally are. If we continue we won't have any mortar stores left. end of rant.  Thank you & have a great day.

Reggie

maratsade

No offence taken here --- but for me, shopping online saves me time, gas,  and money, and allows me to get things that I can't find at local stores. So I'm very grateful online shopping is available. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

No offence taken here --- but for me, shopping online saves me time, gas,  and money, and allows me to get things that I can't find at local stores. So I'm very grateful online shopping is available. 

For me, not only is it easier and more convenient, like it is for many, it's also the wider selection and seeing what other people think of the product that make it more appealing.  

Some of those comments are planted... but they are interesting.

I'm currently waiting for an order I placed on the 1st to even ship. Standard free shipping is so hit-or-miss.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine, you should ALWAYS call customer service whenever a package doesn't arrive by their promised date. They will usually give you a month of free Prime (if you're a Prime member) every time a package is late.
maratsade

@GabeU, I agree, wide selection is also another advantage of online shopping.  I would have to drive all over town to get only a fraction (if that) of what they have available, and I may not find what I'm looking for after spending time and gas on the search.  

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I only use online shopping like I use Hughesnet as a last resort. I believe  in supporting my local stores. Before

I get in my truck I do my research, find the store that has what I need.

Online shopping is fine if you don't care for quality. I prefer holding what I'm buying in my hands to inspect the quality before buying.

JMHO.

Reggie

maratsade

Reggie, I see your points but they do not really apply in my circumstances -- Nontheless, I respect your views and thank you for sharing them calmly and sincerely. We need more of that. 🙂

I too respect and in most cases agree with @Reggie's sentiment. I prefer to have hands-on to whatever I'm buying especially if it's a first time thing, or with clothing.

There are a couple of times I've been burned by buying something online that didnt' suit my intended purpose, or was less than pleased with. I've also gotten in my car and driven a long ways to find out what I wanted wasn't for sale, not my size, or just not available at that store (even after calling ahead). My OCDs really go nuts if I buy something I'm not certain of in advance.

However, If I can go and come back with the top down on a nice day, I won't mind much. Although finding out that the Puma outlet in Leesburg didn't carry any Arsenal shirts (I run in authentic soccer jerseys because of the wicking - to use US parlance) was a bit disappointing tho. Almost came back with some blue Italy shirts tho.

If it's a repeat buy and it's more expedient to o so, it makes some sense for me to buy online in order to save time. If there's something semi-local I can buy from (nothing's really local here and requires at least a 20' drive) that's out of the ordinary, I will try to use them though.

Edit: I will never step foot in a Wallmart tho.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

"Edit: I will never step foot in a Wallmart tho."

Why not?  (not challenging, just curious)

Wallmart buys specially produced products, negotiated at cut rates (and lower quality) that are designed to perpetuate slave labor and severely undercut local shops, putting them out of business. They have a long history of coming into and killing and taking over an entire town's commerce. I can tell you that the two towns near here wouldn't even let them within town limits for that very reason.

GabeU

@MarkJFine

Yep.  Walmart has literally ruined a lot of small communities with their practices.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not averse to good prices, but what they often do is egregious.  

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

GabeU

First off I never said anyone was stupid. The point I was trying to make is when all the brick & mortar stores are gone. Watch the prices on any of the online stores skyrocket. What Wally world does locally is no different than what the online stores do nation wide.

GabeU

@Reggie

I didn't say you called anyone stupid. 

Perhaps your point came across in a way you dind't intend because of the way it was worded. 

It's all good.  🙂    

maratsade

Thanks, Mark.  I appreciate the explanation.   What is your take on Target??

@MarkJFine wrote:

Wallmart buys specially produced products, negotiated at cut rates (and lower quality) that are designed to perpetuate slave labor and severely undercut local shops, putting them out of business. They have a long history of coming into and killing and taking over an entire town's commerce. I can tell you that the two towns near here wouldn't even let them within town limits for that very reason.

@maratsade wrote:

Thanks, Mark.  I appreciate the explanation.   What is your take on Target??

Target's not quite as bad. I mean business is business, but Walmart is predatory.

I could not agree more! I haven't set foot in a Walmart for over a decade.