Banana Cream Pie Day!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liz

Banana Cream Pie Day!

bananacream.jpg

Today is the day to appreciate that blissful combination of custard, cream, and banana. Oh YES. I rarely see this at the supermarket, so I keep forgetting it exists... Maybe this is actually my favorite pie ever??? It's up against chocolate pecan pie at this point... hmm. I think I love custard more than chocolate, so I'm crowning banana cream pie as my favorite. Smiley Very Happy

Now... where can I buy it? Have you seen it out in the wild at your local grocery stores? Or do you have a sweet little neighborhood bakery that makes a great banana cream pie or has a cool spin on it? Please share!

Here are a few interesting recipes on this beloved pie: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/article/4-reasons-you-should-celebrate-national-banana-cream-pie-...

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

17 REPLIES 17
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You know, now that you mention it, I never see banana cream pie in stores. That's criminal. 

This is one of the best pies ever.  I also like pecan pie and mince pie. 

Liz

I don't really bake so I wonder if banana cream pies are trickier to make than the usual apple and pumpkin pies I always see in the grocery store bakeries. Just custard, whipped cream, and bananas in a crust.

Speaking of crust I was just made aware of THIS:

Perfect for banana cream pies!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

Wife says it's because banana turns brown very quickly.

Awesome crust! 

@Liz wrote:

I don't really bake so I wonder if banana cream pies are trickier to make than the usual apple and pumpkin pies I always see in the grocery store bakeries. Just custard, whipped cream, and bananas in a crust.

Speaking of crust I was just made aware of THIS:

Perfect for banana cream pies!

-Liz

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Wife says it's because banana turns brown very quickly. 

They're perfectly aging themselves for banana bread!  🙂  

maratsade

And it's a feature, not a flaw. 😉

@GabeU wrote:

They're perfectly aging themselves for banana bread!  🙂  

Liz

OHhhhhhhhhh that makes sense. How about they leave out the banana and bundle it with the pie; cut the banana and top it yourself. XD

-Liz

maratsade

I'd be fine with that. 

@Liz wrote:

OHhhhhhhhhh that makes sense. How about they leave out the banana and bundle it with the pie; cut the banana and top it yourself. XD

-Liz

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

@Liz wrote:

Another suggestion, maybe they could just freeze it. Then maybe the bananas won't turn brown. 

maratsade

I'll have to consult She Who Must Be Obeyed about this.  I just eats'em, I'm not sure how they work. 

@Reggie wrote:

Another suggestion, maybe they could just freeze it. Then maybe the bananas won't turn brown. 

Oh that's another good idea!

-Liz

GabeU

@Reggie wrote:

Another suggestion, maybe they could just freeze it.  

Reminds me of those frozen, chocolate covered bananas we used to make when I was a kid.  Yummy!  

maratsade

She Who Must Be Obeyed  (SWMBO) says that freezing a banana cream pie will make the crust soggy when the pie is brought out of the freezer, and will also change the texture of the whipped cream topping.  Bananas in the pie might also change texture and color....in fact,the whole pie may end up kinda gross. 

See, I would very likely eat it anyway. I may be part goat.  Mmmm, pie. 

Well... today I learned something. Haha, really interesting to know; I love learning this sort of thing. Once in a while I'll binge the Food Network or the Great British Bake Off and be fascinated by all the cool tips and tricks to making sure your creation turns out OK (Measure by weight! Blind bake! Dry out your fruits!). 

In the end, even if it looks funky, I'll eat it if it still tastes good. (Ugly Delicious anyone?)

-Liz

maratsade

LOLLLL

GabeU

I LOVE banana cream pie.  Now I'm hungry.  😛 

Hardy

OOOOO!!! My Great-grandma made the best homemade banana cream pie!!! ~RIP GG~