COVID-19 and HughesNet...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

COVID-19 and HughesNet...

Though I understand there are situations out there where changes could help, I really hope that HughesNet doesn't do anything too drastic, or at least not data wise.  A lot of people are asking on various social media sites about abandoning the high speed data caps.  I simply can't imaging how bad the system would get were that to happen.  It could, and likely would, slow to an absolute crawl.  😞

62 REPLIES 62
maratsade

I totally see your point, but I'd argue that you have nothing to lose. At best, you'd get some kind of benefit, perhaps a fix, perhaps refunds or discounts or something else. At worst, you'd be where you are now.  All you need to do, if the call is less than 6 months all, is request a sales call review. 

What do they do in a sales call review?
maratsade

If the sales call is still available, they pull it and listen to it, sometimes they make a transcript, and then they contact you privately on this site about the results.  They can provide you with exact quotes of what was said.  It doesn't cost you any money at all, and it may end in good news. 

Bgleason62 wrote:
What do they do in a sales call review?

What do I need to do to start that?
GabeU

@Bgleason62 wrote:
What do I need to do to start that?

Start a new topic here.  In that topic say that you would like a rep to perform a sales call review, and make sure to explain why you're asking for the review, as in what you were told during the sales call that is different from actual experience.  They need to know what it is that they're looking for.  

For reference, sales calls are usually only available for review for about three months, so if it's been longer than that since the call it may no longer be available.

We should be in that time frame. Thanks for the info and the help.
GabeU

@Bgleason62 wrote:
We should be in that time frame. Thanks for the info and the help.

You're very welcome.  🙂 

Might be a good idea not to recommend people turn their data saver off for the foreseeable future.

In fact, it might be a good idea to do the opposite.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Yes. Elsewhere, @GabeU recommended that HN block turning off, or pausing, the VDS. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Might be a good idea not to recommend people turn their data saver off for the foreseeable future.

In fact, it might be a good idea to do the opposite.

Also, this has been going on from pretty much day one before this whole COVID-19 madness even began.
maratsade

People on cable or other terrestrial internet are on systems with huge capacity, and in some areas, they are actually seeing the problems as well, or at least they are noticing reductions in speed and other issues.  Satellite internet such as Hughesnet and Viasat are systems with very limited capacity, and so we notice the strain on that capacity much more sharply. 

This is not to deny you were seeing issues before. I believe you when you say you were.  The reps on this site can take a look at your issues and check what's going on. If you would like to give them a chance to help you, you will need to start your own topic under Tech Support, and provide details, and case numbers if you have them. 

@jackwilliambell wrote:

Sorry, but the problem existed before now, it isn't new to me or unique to me. Moreover, people not on Hughesnet are not seeing this problem, I checked.

Even when I'm supposed have the high speed I only get 2-3 mbps. This was before covid-19. I've had all of my high speed data completely disappear when my family wasn't even home and nobody even using the service. They only care about the money and take advantage of because they know they're the only provider in these rural areas.
maratsade

Would you like to have help with your speed issues? Open a ticket under Tech Support  and explain what's going on, providing as much detail as you can.  Be prepared to run some tests on your network so people here can help you figure out what's going on.  

Remember they're the only provider in rural areas because companies like Comcast don't care about your business or you.   

Omary wrote:
Even when I'm supposed have the high speed I only get 2-3 mbps. This was before covid-19. I've had all of my high speed data completely disappear when my family wasn't even home and nobody even using the service. They only care about the money and take advantage of because they know they're the only provider in these rural areas.

GabeU

"They only care about the money and take advantage of because they know they're the only provider in these rural areas."

I wish people wouldn't make ignorant comments.

maratsade

Not gonna happen. 

@GabeU wrote:

"They only care about the money and take advantage of because they know they're the only provider in these rural areas."

I wish people wouldn't make ignorant comments

Anyone notice how the vitriol has significantly ramped up in the last 24-48 hours?

I'm trying to hold back, but Imma 'bout to launch on one of these clowns that think they know how everything works, so maybe it's best I just not look for a while...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

People are understandbly frustrated, and when you combine frustration with ignorance, vitriol pours forth. 

I guess you could take a break, but you're actually one of the few people left here who knows what they're talking about. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Anyone notice how the vitriol has significantly ramped up in the last 24-48 hours?

I'm trying to hold back, but Imma 'bout to launch on one of these clowns that think they know how everything works, so maybe it's best I just not look for a while...

2 to 3 mps. You are a lucky man.

I have to find something else because this just isn't working for us. Streaming or otherwise.
Bgleason62
Freshman

I'm not going to lie, I would like more data as ours seems to disappear very rapidly. However, I know what it would mean for everyone if they removed the data cap. I do think they are pretty high on their pricing for their packages. I only have it because it is really all I can get in my area. I constantly have lagging service and constant buffering and no signal pop ups when it shows excellent signal. And forget about streaming anything because it takes twice the time to watch anything because of the buffering. Even when we are at the beginning of our data cycle. Wish I could just drop it, but still have most of my contract left. Feels like we are on 3mbps all of the time.
Merlin1
Freshman

It is a very Sad thing that is Happening right now!!

Kids are out of School and having to study online!

then all the people that have to be home with them and they to well some can work from home

others to will have to work from home!

But mostly the Sadness that this virus has brung and will bring going forward!!

I Pray To GOD that HE Will HELP To Bring A Cure for this virus then just maybe we can come together as

A PEOPLE of OUR PLANET!!!!

An email from Hughes.net today

in it hughes said they will work on keeping everyone up and running!! It is nice to know that something like this virus it is not all about the MONEY

If You do not beleave in GOD may you ask to whom you do may you ask for help to find a cure!!

if You do bleave in GOD May you pray for his help in finding a cure!!

Be Safe Be Kind Be Understanding