Hughesnet Community

Data limits

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data limits

Why are there data limits?

At first glance, data limits seem to make sense. at least for satellite systems, due to the high cost of putting a satellite in orbit, etc. OTOH I suspect that no one has ever been been turned down when trying to purchase more data. "Sorry, we can't sell you more data. our satellite is fresh out".

Or, is that why one sees so many people here having speed problems with Hughes? Is someone who's sharing the same satellite resources constantly streaming movies?

Unfortunately This practice has also spread to cable internet suppliers. Where it absolutely makes no sense at all.

I've read that at one time cable isps spent about 20 percent of their revenue on basic infrastructure. Now, the cost of routers, switching equipment and other related gear has declined so much that a typical companys infrastructure costs are now only around 1.5 percent.

Why is it just now that some companies are implementing data limits? Is it because of movie streamers like netflix and hulu?   Since some of these same companys have cable tv assets. are they trying to discourage cord cutting?

Of course, cable data limits are as large as 1 terabyte, which we Hughes users can only dream about.

"A generation which ignores history has no past—and no future."
Lazarus Long

30 REPLIES 30
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Data limits have to do with the nature of satellite internet.  A satellite's throughput has to be divided amongst the users and since the throuput is limited, caps must be established to assure everyone gets a piece of the pie. 

@maratsade wrote:

.........................., caps must be established to assure everyone gets a piece of the pie. 

Well,  for 14 years I did fine with 10gb.  Now with Gen5 I'm not sure that 20gb would be enough.  I suspect that Hughes just wants a bigger piece my of my money pie.

"History is little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind"   Gibbon

maratsade

"Well,  for 14 years I did fine with 10gb.  "

The technology has not remained static over those years, and new technologies use more bandwidth.  

@maratsade wrote:

"Well,  for 14 years I did fine with 10gb.  "

The technology has not remained static over those years, and new technologies use more bandwidth.  

Kind of like the Windoze-Intel rat race?  Intel would come out with their latest super fast new processor, and shorty after Windoze would come out with a new version that would make it run like a snail.

I don't think I'm using very much new technology.  The stuff I do is pretty basic.  I guess Gen5 is a new technology though   It certainly does take more bandwidth 

"Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done and why. Then do it!"

Lazarus Long

maratsade

Perhaps someone else can explain all of this in a much better way than I can.  I don't think you understand what all of this means and how it doesn't matter whether you use the latest technology or not,  it matters that the providers and other users do.   I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.  Good luck to you!

@maratsade:

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.  Good luck to you!

Hmmmml, I think my guitar playing buddy has a better line:

"And your honor, that's when I shot him"

:<)>

Sometimes a picture says more than words:

China_golden_week__3467014b.jpg

That picture must have been Delaware, just south of the bridge on 95 Saturday morning (or most times, iirc).

What a cluster*.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Data caps are coming to the major cable providers soon.  Don't be naive to think that it will stay the way it is.  Pay TV providers like DirecTV and Dish Network and even the cable companies themselves aren't just going to allow the customers to cut off pay TV subscriptions in order to stream through their internet connections.  Not going to happen.  Hughesnet has "high-speed" data caps to maintain the integrity of the advertised satellite performance across the entire service area.  480p streaming is supposed to be unlimited without interrutions or buffering while in FAP, but that can depend on the service offer area you are located in.  Hughesnet has been vigorously working to increase gateway capacity in the most heavily impacted areas and they have made huge strides.  If you are not able to stream in SD while in FAP, it will only be temporary.  Be patient.  The Gen5 service is really good.  It just blew up too fast when we launched last year.  Way more demand than HNS expected.  Way more.

maratsade

Very well said, @Installer.  

@@Installer wrote:

Data caps are coming to the major cable providers soon.  Don't be naive to think that it will stay the way it is.  Pay TV providers like DirecTV and Dish Network and even the cable companies themselves aren't just going to allow the customers to cut off pay TV subscriptions in order to stream through their internet

connections.  .............

I've read that that's already happening now.  That was the point of my original post  I.E. follow the money. 

OK everybody, before you start flaming me over this, I know all this doesn't apply to satellite systems yet. To paraphrase Yoda:  "It will!  It will!".

Be patient.  The Gen5 service is really good.  It just blew up too fast when we launched last year.  Way more demand than HNS expected.  Way more.

That would explain why so many people here have speed problems. 

"Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate--and quickly." 

Lazarus Long

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Installer wrote:

It just blew up too fast when we launched last year.  Way more demand than HNS expected.  Way more.

The same thing happened to the first Jupiter satellite... HNS didn't expect so many people wanting to be on the bird and didn't have the gateway capacity available in time for the first year or so...  I remember those growing pains... This time around it's worse overall mostly because the bird is covering twice the area.

I really hope Jupiter III can handle the load and that Hughes looks to instead of covering just major cities, have it cover the areas with the largest capacity issues.

My piece of the pie seems to be getting smaller the further I get into my 2 yr contract. strange

@maratsade wrote:

Data limits have to do with the nature of satellite internet.  A satellite's throughput has to be divided amongst the users and since the throuput is limited, caps must be established to assure everyone gets a piece of the pie. 

GabeU

@mikef

As time goes on, things use more and more data.  Even if we went to the exact same websites and did the exact same activities every day, over time our data would be used more quickly.  It's the nature of the beast that is the internet.     

@mikef wrote:

My piece of the pie seems to be getting smaller the further I get into my 2 yr contract. strange

Don't waste your breath saying anything critical of Hughes  around here.  As I soon found out myself, this is actually the headquarters of the Hughes legal defence team.. 

GabeU

@gaines_wright wrote:

@mikef wrote:

Don't waste your breath saying anything critical of Hughes  around here.  As I soon found out myself, this is actually the headquarters of the Hughes legal defence team..  

mikef's issue has absolutely nothing to do with Hughes and everything to do with the internet becoming more data intensive as time goes on.

But, with that said, we're so very lucky that you're here to set us all straight, gaines_wright!  

maratsade

"this is actually the headquarters of the Hughes legal defence team."

No, that's actually 3 miles to the north.  This is actually the HQ for Hughesnet's synchronised swimming team. 

@maratsade wrote:

"this is actually the headquarters of the Hughes legal defence team."

No, that's actually 3 miles to the north.  This is actually the HQ for Hughesnet's synchronised swimming team. 

Where's the dancing girls?

maratsade

The Hughesnet FAPpettesThe Hughesnet FAPpettes

Here they are, the world famous Hughesnet FAPpettes!

@maratsade wrote:

Here they are, the world famous Hughesnet FAPpettes!

You just won the board for the week. lol

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.