Finally got Gen5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gokartergo24
Tutor

Finally got Gen5

They finally allowed me to upgrade my showroom account to Gen5.  Going to have some fun playing with this.. I can't play with customers accounts. Don't want to screw anything up.  

16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I hope you like it! 🙂

GabeU

You are going to like it, that's for sure.  It's quite an improvement.  The streaming, especially, and the "Video Data Saver" is a great addition.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

You are going to like it, that's for sure.  It's quite an improvement.  The streaming, especially, and the "Video Data Saver" is a great addition.  

OK, this is killling me. Still Gen4 here but with some digging I can get to the video saver option. So, does it work or not on Gen4? If no then why can I even access it?

video saver.JPG

BTW, I continue to be able to stream Netflix video fine. Maybe being on Ultra plan helps but my speed at night sometimes drops way down and can still stream. I do have Netflix set to lowest definition.

GabeU

@BirdDog

That's interesting that it's there for you with Gen4.  You can probably see if it's working by going to Youtube and watching some newer music videos.  Mine all default to 480P.  

With that said, when I had Gen4, even during the day or late at night when I had great speed, I still sometimes had buffering problems.  Trying to watch a video during the evening was a real pain, having it buffer every five seconds or so.  It was terrible.  Perhaps my beam or gateway was much more loaded than yours, even if the decent off peak speed didn't necessarily reflect that.  My speed tests, even when I was hitting 30Mbps, showed considerable congestion, reflected in the graph of the test.  It looked like the Rocky Mountains.  Now it looks like a nice, smooth horizon.  The smoother, the better, when it comes to streaming.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, mine usually defaults to 480 and lower. I freak when even 480, as 360 looks fine to me. And my stream is generally steady although the server can also send a video stream in chunks and it will be up and down. Like I said, even when my speed is sub 1 Mbps I still can stream Netflix. Maybe does have to do with beam loading but does seem strange. Maybe I'm special. Smiley Happy

Capture.JPG

And I have had some very low nighttime speeds also.

GabeU

That's pretty neat that you can use the Video Data Saver, too, though, like you said, you tend to watch things in lower definition, anyway.  

I even tried lowering the definition of the videos I'd watch, and during the off peak usage periods it sometimes helped, but during peak usage periods NOTHING helped.  It was awful.  It would automatically lower to 144P, and even then I would get the popup notice about speed problems.  Now, even when watching in 480P the progress bar, save for the initial buffer, which they all do for me, zips across until finished.  It's fantastic.  

But, if you like what you have and it works for you, why upgrade, right?  And, you have the Ultra plan, to boot.  If I had that and it was working for me, I probably wouldn't upgrade, either.  For you there's really no advantage.  For myself, I had the addition of the Microsoft updates taking hours upon hours, once even nearly 27 hours for a mid 400MB update, so I almost had to upgrade.  And, for me, it's more data for a cheaper price, and will still be cheaper when the Next Plan Up promo price expires.  I really couldn't say no.    

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Doesn't seem like many got Ultra back when it was offered and for the cost I see no reason to upgrade now. I can live with the periodic slowdowns at night and other random times. Can understand others moving to Gen5  who've had big problems. Maybe some beams on J1 are not functioning so well.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Doesn't seem like many got Ultra back when it was offered and for the cost I see no reason to upgrade now.   

I never had the option for Ultra, but I came to the Gen4 game late, so it may have been an option for my area earlier on.  Heck, I only had Gen4 for a little under fourteen months when I upgraded to Gen5.  Even with the Microsoft update problems and the issues with buffering, I was still glad I upgraded.  Just the speed difference of 1.6Mbps vs 20Mbps, then, later, 30Mbps, was worth it.  And the upgrade deal I got was worth it, as was the upgrade deal I got when upgrading to Gen5.  I think the latter I got for being a long time customer and/or because it was such a simple upgrade.  Just a radio flip, a repoint and a new modem hookup for the latter.  Pretty simple.    

I was supposed to upgrade to Gen 5 today but the install tech was a no show! Really makes me mad since I had to take the afternoon off for nothing. I cancelled the upgrade and will stay with Gen 4 rather than spend more money with a company that takes my time for granted!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@David Clarke wrote:
I was supposed to upgrade to Gen 5 today but the install tech was a no show! Really makes me mad since I had to take the afternoon off for nothing. I cancelled the upgrade and will stay with Gen 4 rather than spend more money with a company that takes my time for granted!

Yep, that is unacceptable. I'd be pretty upset also. Hopefully they review that company/installer.

I do not see any difference with Gen5 othet then speed. I've got 20 GB and still running out. Have not changed anything as far as my

system. I cant download any movies or programs.

GabeU

@tocham

The following thread may help.  If not, or you need addtional info on things you can do to save data, such as settings, programs and apps, it would be beneficial for you to start a new thread in the tech support section.  

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

Matt_Is_My_Name
Sophomore

I have been dragging my feet on upgrading, even though it does seem to be a good value.

Since I am going to be putting a new roof on this house, and taking off the satellite mount that is on the roof in the process, that should be the perfect time to do the upgrade.

I'm getting tired of hearing about these new features and being left out!

no1home4u
Spectator

I am a new customer to Hughes Net. I have had the "Gen 5" system for 5 days now and have spent 4 of those 5 days with tech support trying to get this system to work as sold. Slow to impossible streaming, slower service using the web on a laptop than previous provider. I have been told that the system has to:  (in order of service cal and I have case numbers);  "adjust itself" after changing specs on the 2.4 settings;  "stabilize the satellite signal" (for reasons unspecified);  correct a "deviation" problem  by itself (the last supposed to take 2 to 3 days).  As far as this customer is concerned, I have been sold a boat anchor. . . . .It goes back the next problem that occurs, which I am certain it will. By the way, D/L speeds run anywhere from 9.7 to 24.1 using their test site (on good sunny days!!!).  It has shown as high as 40 plus, but will only stream successfully on 1 device. Not worth the time or money so far.

GabeU

@no1home4u

When testing for speed, are you testing it using WiFi or directly connected.  Also, do you notice any difference when trying to stream when directly connected vs WiFi?  

Hello no1home4U,

I see that you're new here. Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Please start a  new thread under tech support and share your speed test results.

When you complete the speed test, ensure that you are directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices should be used). Also, since you are a Gen5 customer, the minimum download file size is 25 Mbps, and the minimum upload file size is 3 Mbps. Please complete at least three tests, each spaced five minutes apart, so that we can get a better evaluation of your experience. Thanks.

Instructions for Speed Test:
http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

-Aedan

-Aedan