Okay, this is probably going to be a stupid, non-answerable question, but it is one I am struggling to answer.
So am looking for opinions.
The sattelite I am on has really good speed, but horrid latency. 4 seconds, 10 seconds, 44 seconds. (I made a thread about this some time ago) HughesNet was kind enough to give me a bigger dish in the hope that it would solve the problem. It didn't. Of course, it did seem to solve the problem when the tech was there, and when I ran the test when he was there. But after he left and more testing, the problem resurfaced.
Some of the work I do requires me to have better latency than that. Satellite latency is okay, but not this multi-second latency.
An option is to move me back to the other satellite. It is overloaded and the speeds are not good in the evening, but the latency is better. Assuming it isn't too overloaded.
Question: Should I ask HughesNet if they will move me back to the other satellite with better latency (but slower speeds), a cost I will have to pay for. Or should I wait the six months when Starlink will open up their public beta, which I have a chance of getting in to since I am in the area they are going to want for the beta (high northern US)?
Given your history with the issue, I'd suggest Option 2.
I've realized that no amount of logical conversation with HughesNet will enable them to make my internet any better. Attempts to converse with customer service is nothing but wasted energy, emotion, and countless days' worth of my time that is better used elsewhere. HughesNet is like the US Post Office - they saw this eventuality coming many years ago, had the opportunity to plan for it and be part of the evolution and solution, but they opted not to. They are taking as much money as they can from us now, probably knowing that their decision not to get into the LEO model and market will be their end.
I've decided to quit worrying about HughesNet for now, and just wait. Private Beta begins in a month or two, Public Beta begins 3'ish months after that, and main service is expected to launch within 6-12 months. I sleep comfortably at night knowing that within a year I'll likely be saving $420/month and have insane internet speed with no data caps.
"they saw this eventuality coming many years ago, had the opportunity to plan for it and be part of the evolution and solution"
What is this thing they saw?
I've realized that no amount of logical conversation with HughesNet will enable them to make my internet any better.
The only thing you've done in your time here is leave one off comments on other people's topics instead of starting your own and asking for help.
They are taking as much money as they can from us now, probably knowing that their decision not to get into the LEO model and market will be their end.
No they aren't and no it won't. Not all needs for satellite internet are the same as yours. For some people and some needs, GEO satellite internet is just fine.