HORRIBLE SERVICE

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jrhill89
Freshman

HORRIBLE SERVICE

id like to start out by saying i only still have hughesnet because of the rediculous price it costs to end the contract. I signed up for service with hughesnet because of the lack of cable internet in my area. However, i have never dealt with such horrid service ij my life. I pay $95 a month for satellite internet (which btw is almost double other providers) , and i cant go one day without issues. I am constantly dealing with loading issues with my cellphone, netflix, amazon prime. Etc. And this is all before i reach my "high speed" cap. I was told to lower my resolution to the lowest setting for streaming shows. I thought I shouldn't have to do that, but at this point, just being able to watch is gonna have to do. Nope, that didnt change anything. The fact that i pay almost 100 dollars a month and i cant barely watch 1 tv show on netflix a night, is beyond rediculous. I would not recommend falling for this companies false advertisement or reviews. Its simply not true.
11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You might benefit from learning about

• how satellite internet works
  • the limitations of satellite internet and how it differs significantly from terrestrial internet (such as cable, fiber, DSL)
  • how latency (both from the satellite and from the internet) affect satellite internet
  • how congestion and traffic affect satellite internet
  • how your own software, hardware, and configurations affect your service
  • how you and your devices use data
  • what false advertising actually is (this would show you that no, HN does not engage in it)
  • how to have realistic expectations regarding what satellite internet can do
  • what the subscriber agreement says, paying particular attention to the disclaimers 
  • that speed and performance are neither promised not guaranteed
  • how little data you can use per day to avoid running out
  • and so much more

I am not ignorant as to how satellite service works, nor am i trying to compare it to the speed of cable internet. I am stating that for company that boasts about its service, it has been nothing but horrible for me. And this is before my data cap and ok blue clear skys on a monday morning (for example). There should be no issues, yet there is, every day, no matter the time, no matter the weather.
maratsade

"There should be no issues, yet there is, every day, no matter the time, no matter the weather."

This reveals that you need to learn more about the limitations of satellite. If you knew how it works and its limitations, you would not make this statement. 

Oh please do explain!
Because I didnt realize i was paying for a service that wasnt meant to work.
maratsade

Read the disclaimers included in the subscriber agreement and on the website. Speeds and performance are neither promised nor guaranteed, as they depend on way too many variables, including many that are on your side of the equation. You are paying for a service that works within certain (and somewhat limited) parameters.  You seem to have unrealistic expectations for the service.

Since this is a tech support site, why don't you ask for tech support?  Seems silly to pay all that money and not try to maximise your service. For all you know, your dish needs alignment, but if you don't ask for help, you will never find out.  To ask for tech support, go to the tech support section, click on the blue button labeled "start a topic," and explain the issues you are experiencing.  

So its unrealistic of me to want to stream Netflix? And if you would have read. I did notify them of issues. 3 times. They tell me everything is good and to use lower resolution
maratsade

I get it, you had an underwhelming customer service experience. You probably tried the phone reps,  but you haven't tried here, with the corporate reps (higher tier, direct line to engineer dept., and more). 

If you were willing to work with them and troubleshoot, you may find the cause for the rubbish Netflix experience: could be congestion, traffic, latency, Netflix issues with congestion/traffic/latency, could be a weak signal.... could be so many things that troubleshooting and diagnostics would be necessary, and you're in a tech support community with access to corporate reps and corporate engineers. 

Why not give it a chance? If they can't help you, then you'd be where you are now, with a crappy Netflix experience. But what if they can help you? 

Jrhill89 wrote:
So its unrealistic of me to want to stream Netflix? And if you would have read. I did notify them of issues. 3 times. They tell me everything is good and to use lower resolution

GabeU

@Jrhill89 

So why sign up for an account on a SUPPORT COMMUNITY, with the key word being SUPPORT, to only complain?  You can do that on social media, a blog or wherever else.

DebiS
Sophomore

Jrhill89, The answers posted to your questions are anything but answers. I've only been a Hughesnet customer for three days and if anyone would have told me I would be getting 1/25 the download speed as advertised I would not have moved forward. Someone could have just told me that download speed are a system wide problem versus make me waste my time in chat and on the phone troubleshooting a non existent technical problem. My only hope is that where I commonly use my computer during off peak time I will be able to live with the false information.
maratsade

The answers given are logical and make sense -- but you seem to be going through buyer's remorse and don't want to hear it.

The information about the service and its limitations is available on this site and on the HughesNet website. I guess it didn't occur to you do do some research before entering into a contract? Was it easier to blindly believe a sales person? 

GabeU

@DebiS wrote:
Someone could have just told me that download speed are a system wide problem versus make me waste my time in chat and on the phone troubleshooting a non existent technical problem.  

Do you see 1.5 million complaints about speed issues from HughesNet's customer base?  1/10th that?  1/100th?  1/1000th?  No.  And the reason you don't see even 1/1000th the number of complaints is because low download speed is NOT a system wide problem. 

That doesn't mean that no one ever experiences speed issues or issues with specific activities, like streaming.