PISYMBOL.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Celebrate Pi by eating pie. 

pi-day.jpg

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

It's amazing how Archimedes discovered PI without a computer. Today we can't work without a screen in front of our face.

GabeU

@Reggie wrote:

It's amazing how Archimedes discovered PI without a computer. Today we can't work without a screen in front of our face.

Too true, unfortunately,  I'm amazed at kids being allowed to use devices in school to do their math for them these days.  We weren't even allowed to use a calculator. 

maratsade

We were only allowed to use slide rules -- which of course, most everyone had no idea how to use.

slide-rule.jpg

Ahhhh I missed pi day! (I made waffles tho... so at least I had something sweet?).

I think I've seen a slide ruler once growing up, never did learn how those work. LOL I also wonder how an abacus is used... time to hit up Google.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

1. Never to late to eat pie.

2. I could never figure out a slide rule.....I'm told only engineers understand those. 

4. I remember at one point learning about how an abacus worked. Maybe it was history class? But it didn't stick to my brain at all. And then calculators came, and that was all she wrote. 

Speaking of calculators... schools should definitely loan out their own TI-82s or whatever model they're using these days. We had to spend all that money on a fancy graphing calculator to use in a couple classes and NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

"We had to spend all that money on a fancy graphing calculator to use in a couple classes and NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN."

This.

Yes, ditto, ditto. What the fudge?  They were so expensive, and we used it twice. 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Wow. They didn't have anything like a TI-82 in my school. But I didn't go to college. They look like they would have been fun to learn.

I'm old enough to remember when slide rules were allowed in High School, but Bowmar Brains were not.

Was around the time when TI-57s came out. They were great too, but weren't very reliable after a year or so.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Huh I had to look up Bowmar Brains. 

Reggie, those TI-82 graphing calculators were pretty neat sometimes. You could program games in them or somehow transfer games onto the calculator; I had a bowling game on mine XD

-Liz

TI 57/58/59s had a zip card to play Moon Lander, if I reall.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Students these days use those fancy calculators to cheat on tests...

There have always been crafty cheaters... LOL