Happy with Gen5?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SkunkBuddy
Freshman

Happy with Gen5?

I mean besides those 3 people who spend their whole days hanging out on these boards?

Gen4 was solid. It never went out. Gen5 goes out every time it rains - never once did Gen4 go out, even in the snow. It seems like Gen5 can't handle everyone being off of work and trying to use it at the same time, either. Gen5 is not a good product in its current state. It's like a beta test that we're paying for. 

Didn't what's happening now happen on a different holiday weekend, too?  

6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gen4 had its fair share of outages as well, as has Spaceway3...

This issue is different from past issues... When the last outage occured, signal was lost entirely.  We are seeing intermitten signal loss with this outage, so most likely, a different issue has occured.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@SkunkBuddy wrote: 

It seems like Gen5 can't handle everyone being off of work and trying to use it at the same time, either. 

Nothing like making assumptions that have no basis in fact.  

It reminds me of the golden oldie, "HughesNet is stealing my data!"  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The people who spend time here are volunteers that are giving back, like people often do when they're grateful and want to give back to those who have helped them by turning around and helping others.  This may be a foreign concept to some, but it works well in communties such as this one, which is mostly peer-to-peer help. 

Gen4 was more consistent for me, but I came late to it -- It may have been glitchy at first too.  

I mean besides those 3 people who spend their whole days hanging out on these boards?

@maratsade wrote:
Gen4 was more consistent for me, but I came late to it -- It may have been glitchy at first too.  

It was. Trust me... it was.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

It was. Trust me... it was.

Was, and still is.......at least in my case.

@BirdDog wrote:

Was, and still is.......at least in my case.

Nature of the beast. Any time you use radio waves to replace hardwiring, you're going to increase susceptibility to a lot of things and reliability is going to suffer as a result. Extend that over vastly larger distances, and I'm sure it increases exponentially. Compress the data over the stream: You lose even more potential reliability (e.g., change one bit in a zip file and you might as well toss the whole thing) over the advantage of gaining speed.

This is the thing I feel most people just don't seem to understand, yet they keep comparing it to their local hardwired ISP.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.