cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to schedule mac os Download for off peak hours

Highlighted

How to schedule mac os Download for off peak hours

Just wanted to see if any one had a good solution for scheduling a download time for the new Mac OS so it only uses my off peak hours. If this has already been discussed could some one point me in the right direction?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: How to schedule mac os Download for off peak hours

you may need a download scheduler, like iGetter. 

Highlighted
Junior

Hi COGordo,

One of the most overlooked (and under used) apps. in OS X is Automator.

People don't use it because they find it intimidating however it is not that hard to use.

If you play with the app. you will quickly get a feel for it. It also allows you to "step" thru it to make sure you have it right.

I prefer manual updates and wait until there's a dot update for major OS releases. I have been burnt too many times on the "bleeding edge".

Since I don't allow automatic updates (but do allow automatically check for updates) I don't have a script that I can share with you.

You will want to check that an update is available and then run the /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app. with time parameters you have scripted (based on your local time zone).

Hope this helps!

Don  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Junior

P.S. The easy way is to use the scheduler under energy savings unless you want to learn to write a little script.

Highlighted
Junior

Hey COGordo,

MarkJFine and I have been working on a plist to make off peak scheduling a reality for OS X users.

It's still under development and testing but you can follow along and contribute if you can. (see topic: Spot the rookie error)

Hopefully we'll have something to share soon.

Don  Smiley Happy