Hughesnet Community

Hughes net

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suzmik12

Hughes net

My 10g renewed today, it’s at 5g now on the first day. Run, run people from this money grab ripoff. When I agreed to install, They never told me it wasn’t unlimited data. They said the speed was slow and I decided I could live with that, within a one user home. After talking with them , they blew it off. Saying after the install, an email was sent describing the terms. But I believe, they intentionally deceived me. Run people run from this company.

14 REPLIES 14
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Suzmik12 

First and foremost, there is absolutely no reason for you to disrespect everyone in this community with your foul language.  As well, you may want to read through the "Community Terms of Service" and "Community Guidelines", which YOU agreed to by posting here, and refrain from using foul language in the future.  You can find both topics in the "About the Community" section.  You may want to peruse the "Welcome/Getting Started" topic in that section, as well.  

Regarding your service, it is unlimited, but you receive a finite amount of high speed data every month.  As well, it is not HughesNet's fault if your devices are using your data.  Devices can use a lot of data on their own, especially if they are not set up to use as little as possible.  

If you feel that you were misled during your sales call, you can request that the call be reviewed.  If it's determined that proper expectations were not set during that call, you may have recourse.  You can request the sales call review by creating a new topic in the "myAccount & Billing" section and requesting it.  

If you would like help with your data usage issue, please start a new topic in the "Tech Support" section and ask for it.  In the meantime, the following two threads may help you...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

I wonder what foul language you see...

First and foremost, No one reads Terms of Service's anywhere. As well, don't tell anyone they have 10GB or 50GB and say it's then unlimited. There is no difference between speeds when I have my 10GBs and when I don't. Youtube doesn't play HD 720 or 1020 videos without having to load/buffer for a long time wether my data just renewed or I have none and if I played all or any of my videos in HD I would use up even 50GBs in 3 weeks alone.

Regarding HughesNet Customer Service, it is terrible. No one wants to wait for hours or days for one of them to tell them they need to upgrade. They never know what you're talking about and are a big waste of time. If they can't increase download speeds or give us more Gigs/m then they are no help to anyone.

The issue is a money grabbing company and until they change it will always be terrible and unfortunatel for those who can not get anything else. Don't tell me 150/m for 50GB data and the same download/upload speeds as $50/m plan isn't laughable.

GabeU

@kintho 

If you'd like help with your data usage issues, please start a new topic in Tech Support.  

If you'd like help with your speed issues, please start a new topic in Tech Support, and provide the test results URL after you've run some speed tests outlined in the following instructions...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Regarding your opinion of HughesNet's data and speed, you're certainly entitled to it, but you fail to realize that HughesNet's system has considerably less bandwidth available than the fiber you mentioned, so though you may want unlimited high speed data, it's simply not possible to provide it.  Too many people using the system at the same time taxes it, and if people had unlimited data, most of them would be doing the number one thing people do with unlimited data... streaming.  Too many people doing so at the same time would slow the system considerably for anyone using it.  High speed data allotments cause people to prioritize that data, and what they use it for, which ensures that the system is not overtaxed (most of the time), in the same way that a bridge built to handle 10,000 cars per hour can't handle 100,000 cars per hour.  It would turn into a traffic jam.  Metering the traffic keeps is flowing, in the same way that metering high speed data usage keeps the system usable.    

Lastly, regarding your claim of HughesNet's ability to use less data for streaming a lie, you may want to learn about the Video Data Saver and streaming sources' ability to adjust definition.  

GabeU

@kintho wrote:

I wonder what foul language you see.. 

The foul language that was removed after I posted about it.  The foul language that you weren't here to see, but whose warning your felt the need to indirectly criticize without having the necessary information.  The foul language that was the type that sticks out like a sore thumb.  THAT foul language.  Any other critiques?   

They do not and will not review MY call. May be different in certain circumstances but per my experience they do not do that. Especially if they company is at fault for making the mistake T the initial set-up phone call.
GabeU

@vikwhel 

To get your sales call reviewed, start a new topic in the "myAccount and Billing" section, explain why you want it reviewed, and if it's been no more than three or four months since the call, and your reason is valid (you feel you were misled or lied to), they will review it.  

Keep in mind, ONLY the call in which the sale was made is available for review, and it can't have been any longer than three or four months, as they don't keep the calls for much longer than that.  Maybe five months.

@vikwhel wrote:
Especially if they company is at fault for making the mistake T the initial set-up phone call.

Completely untrue.  Determining if the sales agent misled a subscriber is the purpose of the sales call review, and they are honest with their findings.

kintho
New Poster

Agreed. 100%. Don't you love the slick words they like to use, too? So when something like this happens, it's your fault. You probably need to upgrade, haha.

I just recently had the same issue (1 of many). Apparently I used 20GBs in 10 days including 6GBs of the extra night time data. This is my 4th month with them. Never used that much even after downloading my games. Now I need it to download a game and I don't have it. So I went grab 5Gigs for $15 to speed it up cause I only needed 3GBs. Download speeds where at .09 MB/s - .2 MB/s before I bought more gigs. It was the exact same after I bought the gigs even after I restarted both the modem and the computer. I haven't seen speeds faster then this except at the end of a download where it'll boost up to a whopping 3 MB/s (lol). Every now and then I'd get .5 MB/s to 1MB/s for about a minute. Speed tests confirm.

I've given them a call 6 times and spoke to 6 different reps. They all either didn't know what I, or they were talking about or they suggested I upgrade to solve my issues.

Idk what's up with this 10Gigs for $50/m. They act like there's limited data and we need to use it sparingly when the fact is: There is limitless data and no reason to ever be throttled wether on Satellite or Fiber. Download speeds should be much much faster on both sides and we should be given much more Gigs a month. 10Gigs? Or pay $150/m for 50GB AND download/upload speeds stay they same AND that's a family plan. I know there's the in between, but it's just as laughable. They think they have the upper hand because the only reason anyone ever goes with Satellite is because they can't get real internet in their area for 1 reason or another.

"Watch more videos using less data. HughesNet Gen5 automatically adjusts data rates for streaming video to deliver great picture quality while using less of your data." Don't even get me started on that lie.

Dang they answered me and it was first time and only had to talk to one person

Yes, they're very good at answering over phone quickly and letting me pay but it's easier for me to do it online sometimes, but my one credit card balance was low so I needed to change my payment info to pay amount but when I would click on the change payment info it would go to blank screen so I dunno lol. But it really doesn't take them long at all to take care of you and have your bill paid and ready . I love Hughes network
mbah
Spectator

I know exactly what your talking about. We have 20g and have our system unplugged fro 3 months because we switched to high speed with our local provider that offers 15mbs but no data gap and it works better and alot cheaper. We canceled our service with hughes last week and waiting on box to return. But for the 3 months we still had service and equipment unhooked the data was gone as soon as it reset and there's no way that is possible if equipment unhooked and nothing connected. after our 1st month of having hughes is when we started having data issues.

maratsade

Without being hooked up, there is no data usage. If you see data usage, it's likely from the last time it was hooked up.  But if you believe your data is disappearing even when the modem is not connected to the satellite, there is a simple way to prove it:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

mbah wrote:

But for the 3 months we still had service and equipment unhooked the data was gone as soon as it reset and there's no way that is possible if equipment unhooked and nothing connected. after our 1st month of having hughes is when we started having data issues.

GabeU

@mbah wrote:

I know exactly what your talking about. We have 20g and have our system unplugged fro 3 months because we switched to high speed with our local provider that offers 15mbs but no data gap and it works better and alot cheaper. We canceled our service with hughes last week and waiting on box to return. But for the 3 months we still had service and equipment unhooked the data was gone as soon as it reset and there's no way that is possible if equipment unhooked and nothing connected. after our 1st month of having hughes is when we started having data issues.

No, it wasn't, because the data never reset in the first place.  If the HughesNet modem is not plugged in, the data can't reset, and when you look at your data levels, whether by signing into the HughesNet website while using another ISP, or doing the same with the HughesNet mobile app, they will remain exactly the same as when you unplugged the modem.  If that was zero data remaining, it will continue to say zero data remaining for as long as the HughesNet modem remains unplugged.  If it had been 3.6GB remaining, it would continue to say 3.6GB remaining.  When the modem is plugged back in and connects to HughesNet, your data will reset. 

Like some others, I'm new to Satellite Internet (uppercase 1st letter as I think it's "formal" title of the subject).

But being tech oriented I'm researching as to technically how this all works including how browsers work regarding web page "loading" such as is it two way communication during a page load (long story on what I mean).  This is an example of the research.  I've never written a web  browser let alone apps that use internet access 'directly'!

Though the speed test did show 20Mbps as the speed, that is allso the capacity cap.  So it runs at 20Mbps and allows 20G total download amount as two different aspects of the sales pitch.  Fortunately I got that so it's not a worry.  I'm familiar with data caps since my previous roommate years ago had Comcast and we were hitting the data cap so very easily.  Changed to another ISP that didn't cap the download amount!

Ok, enough with my usual FYI stuff.  LOL

These corporations in trying to increase profit shoot themselves in the foot.  They try to make customers get more expensive service to be able to do video streaming of TV & movies like Netflix.  And several streaming services want you to subscribe to more services to see your favorite shows.

But that in turn leads to folks like myself not subscribing in many streaming services as I'm very restricted in how much I watch in streaming being used to HD streaming and not SD low capacity streaming.

So the ISPs like Hughes Net and many others with the data cap cause fewer folks to subscribe to several streaming services and try to avoid streaming much content as I how have to do just using Netflix!  So by normal usage I already used 40% of the data limit in 2 days?!  So I have to change my game plan and not only not subscribe to more streaming services but to limit how much I watch and download quite a bit.  I have to find alternatives that don't cost me more money (except gas to drive to the library to use their service!).

I live in a rural area (aka: in the 'wild') that has limited ISP choices due to location and lack of wired services like land line and cable!  So I have to make do as it is.  But also cannot run an online business from home as I was hoping I could do.

That's today's reality so I have to live with it while still researching options, technology solutions, and what not!  Complaints to any business normally falls on 'deaf ears', pun intended since I am a deaf person!  Rare is the company that does respond such as my previous ISP back in California in a subburb area.

I still read rants as often there is information that I did not know in either the initial post or in replies.  Got a lot to learn about satellite.

Randolph Garrett of the wilds of Washington state
Weatherford88
Freshman

I like Hughes net and very satisfied but that's just my opinion