Hughesnet Community

Hughesnet Status Meter causing Java error on reboot.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trent Perez

Hughesnet Status Meter causing Java error on reboot.

Everytime I restart my computer I get an error message that Javaq has encoun tered an error in the config file of the hughesnet status meter. This is very annoying. I have tried reinstalling both Java and the status meter/usage meter. I have the latest bersions of both programs. I can't access the status meter after this error message appears and since the usage meter is pretty much useless to me I have uninstalled it from my system and now have to go to the web usaghe page to check my usage. I am very dissappointed in this application and can't wait for the update that fixes this problem. Until then I will not be using this utility.

8 REPLIES 8
MarkJFine
Professor

FAQ:

Under some circumstances, the configuration and cached information that the Usage Meter needs to operate gets corrupted.

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" directory under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.

Disregard other recommendations that say to uninstall and reinstall the app and/or update Java as those do absolutely nothing to fix the problem. Uninstalling doesn't delete the directories above. Likewise, the application is written in JavaScript which is completely separate from Java, which of itself is a stand-alone runtime environment.

The only reason you should possibly uninstall something is if you are not running the current version, have inadvertently deleted part of the application, or have the older "HughesNet Status Meter" still installed. Uninstalling the older Status Meter and using the most recent version of Usage Meter is highly recommended.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Trent Perez

An addendum to Mark's instructions:

You'll probably need to enable the Hidden Items view in order to see the AppData folder and anything inside inside it.  As shown in the snapshot, click View and then check the Hidden Items box.  Remember to re-hide the items by unchecking the Hidden Items box after you perform the steps given by Mark, as the items that are hidden are hidden for good reason.  

Screenshot (152).jpg

@GabeU

I keep forgetting that, so I've amended the original FAQ.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Timharraway
New Poster

Thank you im having the same problem with the usage meter (java script error) but hughesnet has tried to make me believe the problem is with my system after having my computer checked out by a tech company i was told the problem was not with my computer.
GabeU

@Timharraway

It's not your computer.  The instructions to fix the issue should work.  Is there a step that you're not able to perform or something you're not able to find?  

traveller413

After sitting on the phone with tech support for over an hour trying to fix the same error, another guy finally told me the status meter will not work with Windows X.  However, the phone app does work.  

GabeU

@traveller413

The HughesNet Usage Meter works just fine with Windows 10.  There is an occasional Javascript error that pops up, but the meter is designed to work with Windows 10.   

Whoever it was that told you otherwise is incorrect.  

The fix for the Javascript error should work for you.  

maratsade

"the status meter will not work with Windows X."

I have it installed on 3 Windows X machines and it works just fine.