Hughesnet Community

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of it...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of it...

When you spend your time here trying to help other people, or to steer them in the direction of help when you can't, and to continually have people jump in trying to sabotage not only your help, but basically any help they could get, it gets old REALLY fast.  

These people seem to think being angry about their service absolves them of the respect people deserve.  The worst part is that nothing is done about it.  

I've about had it.  

16 REPLIES 16
maratsade

@GabeU, I  hear you. You work very hard, out of the goodness of your heart, and people use you as a whipping boy. Some users don't seem to understand that this is a peer-to-peer community and that the mods only participate sporadically.  Users are also angry and frustrated and they seem to be unable to state their case unemotionally -- many times they seem to just want to vent and are not seeking solutions.  There is a lot of ignorance, anger, and hostility. 

It's sad that they're missing great opportunities for help from people like you, Mark, BirdDog, GWalk, etc. I've noticed that all of you are posting less and less, so I wonder if there's burnout all around. 

I honestly don't know what to say, really. I personally think the community would be very impoverished if you and the others stopped posting, but I can't blame you for being tired of the ingratitude. Perhaps you need to just ignore those who only want to rage. Don't engage them. Just walk away. 

I truly hope we won't lose you.  You contribute so much that it'd be a shame if you left.

Honestly, I see a couple of cateogries:

1. People who just want to type something, anywhere. They claim they've read though the solutions, but haven't, otherwise they'd see we give basically the same advice over and over. That gets a little cumbersome. Why I started showing people where the search bar was.

2. People who don't really want help, they just want to vent and because they're angry. I actually get this, because I remember a time when I was under a lot of pressure and wasn't too pleasant either. Eventually came around tho. Retirement helped me not take too much too serious. lol

I'll pass up most of these unless I see someone being totally obnoxious or abusing someone else. I've also learned to pass up on speed complaints - those are just are just a moon door to **bleep**.

Edit: gotta love the bleeps.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

The bleeps are awesome.  LOL

@maratsade wrote:

The bleeps are awesome.  LOL

Hey! Can Big **bleep** make a comment here?  Smiley Happy

@GabeU was the first to reply to my first post here.

soon found out he had a sense of humor and we started "poking" jabs at the other.

We, sometimes have fun. Gotta remember the good times too.

Dont leave "Bud"

maratsade

Mark, once you wrote something I thought was very insightful -- it was something addressed to a raving eejit, and you admonished them that they didn't know how to negotiate from a position of weakness.  That really hit the nail on the head.  Yes, they are angry, but they are also full of entitlement,  and seem completely incapapable of taking responsibility for anything and of negotiating in a civilized way. (And apparently were raised by monkeys, judging by the way they keep flinging their bleep about).

@maratsade

That's part of it.

One thing I found out a while back was that anger makes people do things they normally wouldn't do. It puts people into positions that are out of character and make decisions that are clouded and personal. It's like the whole premise of how evil attempts to prevail in Star Wars, but nobody gets it.

Social media doesn't help in this regard, because it just makes it easier to unload enmasse. People now think it's normal and acceptable when it really isn't healthy at all. Today, everyone thinks they're Howard Beale. Social media's their drug, and Paddy Chayefsky's rolling in his grave.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Mark, yes, exactly.  But it happens in other environments too, like the road, or a queue, or many other places outside the Web.  People get their ire up and they're off to the races.  Happens to our close cousins too:  "When angry, chimpanzees may stand upright, swagger, wave their arms, throw branches or rocks—all with bristling hair and screaming or with lips bunched in ferocious scowls" (Source).  So similar to some of the swaggering, bristling individuals that post here, who throw verbal branches and rocks at people, acting out like peevish 2-year-olds.

alfresco
Senior

No good deed goes unpunished. Sad but true. Just ignore the jerks, I  and many others appreciate your help.

gokartergo24
Tutor

@GabeU

Keep your chin up.  You do help a lot of people on here..

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU wrote:

When you spend your time here trying to help other people, or to steer them in the direction of help when you can't, and to continually have people jump in trying to sabotage not only your help, but basically any help they could get, it gets old REALLY fast.  

These people seem to think being angry about their service absolves them of the respect people deserve.  The worst part is that nothing is done about it.  

I've about had it.  

@GabeU

Sounds like your getting a wee bit burnt out..and perhaps it would be a good idea for you to sit back and put your feet up for a few days.

Believe me, in my own line of work, I've seen many a person, myself included, get burnt out, take a few days off, come back and be good as new, ready to tackle a few more problems.

You certainly do not want to find yourself getting so irate that you say/post something out of character and ruin the good reputation you have worked hard to establish within the community.

It's extremely difficult to help folk, whether they be customers, patients, children, etc... when they are all fired up, pissed at the world, running off at the mouth, and generally having themselves a little tantrum.

The majority of people, those who are extremely irritated with a particular situation, will still show respect towards others that are trying to be helpful, however, there will always be a small handful of folk who, like you have witnessed, will take that rage out on anyone who comes around, even if those folk are merely trying to be helpful.

There will always be someone who will accuse you of being a 'shill' ...you just got to laugh off those types of individuals and/or comments.

Put yer feet up for a few days!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Yes, burnout is very real.

In my case I seldom post due to failing health.

Things have changed over time. It used to be that  folks understood that satellite  Internet was not, can not be the functional  equivalent  of ground based systems.

These days many users are cord cutters. The extra load on the entire system and within individual  beams is bringing the system to its knees and they just don't want to hear it. They just want cable performance.

Don't even get me going on the self proclaimed  "Sys  Admins".

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Don't even get me going on the self proclaimed  "Sys  Admins".

I used to employ quite a few SysAds and was going to have some fun with that guy.

They were always at odds with software engineers no matter how much of a symbiotic relationship you tried to create. So I really got a chuckle at this.

maratsade

I'm sorry to hear about your failing health, GWalk900. I miss your presence here. 

GabeU

@maratsade@Katie0@MarkJFine@Gwalk900@bare65

Thanks, folks.  I certainly appreciate it.  A break was what I needed.  🙂  

GabeU

@r3wt2

When you actually start helping people, your critiques and criticisms might carry some weight.  Until then, they're the equivalent of hot air.  Nothing more.  

Katie0
Admin

GabeU - You should know that the Hughes Community moderators, corp. engineers, installers, technicians and field staff have tremendous respect for your technical experience and ability to logically explain satellite internet technology to the average user.   I’m looking forward to speaking with you and will reach out this week.