Hughesnet Community

It's uhhhh *checks notes*... Plum Pudding Day?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay

It's uhhhh *checks notes*... Plum Pudding Day?

So, today is plum pudding day and I'm not going to pretend like I know what plum pudding is. While I may have never heard of plum pudding before, I know this much... it does not look appetizing to me and this is the most flattering picture I could find. 

Image result for plum pudding
Looks like it's an British/Irish treat that people eat around Christmas, which is over 10 months away. Who decided today of all days would be the day for plum pudding? Have you ever had plum pudding? Is it better than it looks? Should I give it a try as soon as possible or avoid it like the plague? 

-Jay

18 REPLIES 18
MarkJFine
Professor

Dunno... but those holly berries are extremely poisonous.

I'm not a fan of black pudding or baked beans for breakfast, either.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Love plum pudding.  It's awesome and can be quite boozy too. 

What's the flavor like? Anything more common that it tastes somewhat similar to? 

I've had sticky toffee pudding before if it's similar to that.

-Jay

ooh I'd rather have black pudding... I'm more into savory than sweet. Still I'm curious about this plum pudding; it definitely does not look like what I expected. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

That is black pudding?

-Jay

maratsade

No, what you posted is plum pudding. Black pudding is TOTALLY  a different thing....not sure you wanna know. LOL

maratsade

Here's a recipe for traditional plum (also called Christmas) pudding. 

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/delias-traditional-christmas-pudding

While it has fruits like a fruitcake, it's nothing like it. Plus it has a lot of booze in it, and it's often served with a brandy sauce. 

I can't describe what it tastes like -- it's like a boozy, dense cake.  I love it. 

maratsade

Black pudding

Fruit-Pig-Black-Pudding

Looks like meat wrapped in electrical tape!!! Smiley Surprised

As for the dessert, I might have to try some plum pudding then. Is it typically served with a sauce?

-Jay

Boozy and dense, sounds like [insert your "fave" relative]!

I dig black pudding. Thank youuuu English breakfast.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

I love a full English breakfast!

letterbox_resizeimage593x426xA6SozL86Xx

maratsade

That's exactly what it is, electrical tape.  

Yes, the plum pudding is often served with brandy sauce, or with custard, or both. 

@Jay wrote:

Looks like meat wrapped in electrical tape!!! Smiley Surprised

As for the dessert, I might have to try some plum pudding then. Is it typically served with a sauce?

-Jay

GabeU

It's been many years since I've had plum pudding.  I used to love it with Bird's custard.  

As for the black pudding being mentioned, you can keep that nasty stuff.  My grandparents used to love that and the other various disgusting things many Brits eat.  I'm thankful that my Brit half never inherited the desire to eat those things, save for kippers.  😛 

maratsade

Bird's custard. YES. 

Kippers. YES

Other nasty food: Mostly YES.

@maratsade wrote:

Bird's custard. YES. 

Kippers. YES

Other nasty food: Mostly YES.

Same! I haven't tried those but I'm game!

@C0RR0SIVE I was thinking the same thing Smiley LOL

-Jay

maratsade

[Brit humour] No, you're not. 90% of Americans don't eat normal, wholesome Brit food [/Brit humour]. 

Edit: foods such as these:  https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/25-classic-british-foods-that-foreigners-fin...

LOL.  

C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Am I the only one that has a sane diet or taste for food?