Long time customer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EddieCranford
Spectator

Long time customer

Living in a rural area leaves little choice for internet providers. Hopefully, politicians will fight to make internet access a fundamental right and regulate it like radio and power. Until then, predatory providers like Hughes.net will continue to provide substandard service at inflated prices.

I'm sure Hughes can rationalize their expense and limitations. I'm sure they would gladly let their prices and control be regulated in trade for federal subsidies (lol... no). The good news is that the government (that would be us, the hughes.net customers) is subsidizing the expansion of the fiber optic network to rural customers. They are running it down the side of my road right now. Somehow, that slipped by the 100% "business friendly" government of my home state.

Hughes divides my purchased band width so that about 60% is available only in the middle of the night, starting at 2:00 AM. Then they sell you tokens to buy back some of the bandwidth you've already paid for during peak hours. That must have them laughing all the way to the bank.

They also farm out their tier 1 support to sweat shops somewhere in India. When I ask "Bob" where his office is located, Bob gets a little evasive. I'm sure they are fearful because they've been told not to disclose that information and will be severely punished if caught doing so. The local techs who install the equipment for customers are independent contractors, not employees. That means no benefits like insurance, 401Ks, etc. and I doubt they will ever get rich subbing for Hughes. Hughes.net is fast becoming a business like the car title loan offices that pop up in poor neighborhoods.

I've been a Hughes customer for a long time. Long enough to have switched satellites once, replace my dish and LNB a few times and go through a few modem replacements due to obsolescence. Their service has always been subpar (giving credit for satellite driven latencies), their policies have always been predatory - Fair Access Policy that is not clearly communicated during the sale or even hinted at in their marketing. Throttling the bandwidth (FAP) as if Grandma uploading pictures of her grandkids to social media is somehow a threat to the unimaginable, vast amount of bandwidth they have. Moving 60% of purchased bandwidth to the middle of the night, undiscounted even though it is inconvenient to use. Again, no transparency about this.

Access to the internet is now as important as access to electricity or clean, lead free water. The lobbyists from the internet industry fight, bribe and cheat to keep regulatory legislation from happening.

Once the fiber installation is done, I'll switch to that company. A company that will be no better than Hughes in their predatory policies, inflated prices and usage of cheap, non-American labor for tier 1 support. But, for the first time in 25 years, I'll be able to stream a movie, subscribe to a streaming service, listen to podcasts and download large files without worrying about being throttled after using 30% of the bandwidth I purchase every month.

Since this is a Hughes forum, this will probably get deleted by a moderator without getting posted. I would call that unethical, but corporations aren't bound by ethical constraints. If it does get posted, then good for Hughes for allowing open public discourse, even though this privately owned forum for isn't bound by the 1st Amendment. And to the employee who responds to this, I understand it is your job to do so and I look forward to our conversation.

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You have several errors and misconceptions here.

>>Hopefully, politicians will fight to make internet access a fundamental right and regulate it like radio and power.

The fight needs to start with the voters. Get involved.

>>Until then, predatory providers like Hughes.net will continue to provide substandard service at inflated prices.

Not sure why you think this is a predatory service. HughesNet comes to rural areas because other ISPs can't be bothered serving rural customers. They're not edging out other ISPs. As for the prices, that's based on the technology which costs millions or more. It's expensive technology to create and maintain, and so it's expensive for the end user.

>>I'm sure Hughes can rationalize their expense and limitations.

Yes, and with reason, facts, and figures.

>>I'm sure they would gladly let their prices and control be regulated in trade for federal subsidies

Why wouldn't they?

>>They are running it down the side of my road right now.

Good. That's happening in many areas. Hopefully eventually we will all get fibre.

>>Hughes divides my purchased band width so that about 60% is available only in the middle of the night, starting at 2:00 AM.

The broadband you get after 2 a.m. is not purchased broadband. You didn't pay for it; it's a bonus. They can afford to give you a bonus because of less usage during the night. They don't even have to do that; they could just have you use your purchased broadband during the entire day.

>>Then they sell you tokens to buy back some of the bandwidth you've already paid for during peak hours.

You haven't paid for the bonus broadband. You are also responsible for how you use the limited broadband you get. If you overuse it, you can buy tokens. They don't have to offer that either. They could just cut you off, but they don't. They sell you tokens at $3 each. Verizon's tokens cost $15 each.

>>They also farm out their tier 1 support to sweat shops somewhere in India.

They have Tier 1 support in the US too. Their employees come from many places. Why do you think they are sweatshops? Where is your evidence? Do you have documents to prove that your opinion is right?

>>When I ask "Bob" where his office is located, Bob gets a little evasive.

Maybe try not being rude? I've had their support staff tell me where they are, no problem. But I don't have a problem with them being in Thailand, India, Texas, or California. And they have been helpful as well, and polite.

>>I'm sure they are fearful because they've been told not to disclose that information and will be severely punished if caught doing so.

Why are you sure? Again, do you have evidence? Internal documents, memos, recordings, films? Provide evidence to back up your opinions.

>>The local techs who install the equipment for customers are independent contractors, not employees. That means no benefits like insurance, 401Ks, etc. and I doubt they will ever get rich subbing for Hughes. Hughes.net is fast becoming a business like the car title loan offices that pop up in poor neighborhoods.

You have a lot of opinions, and you're entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts. You have provided absolutely no evidence here and are basically airing out your own ideas about something you have no knowledge of, just opinions.

??their policies have always been predatory - Fair Access Policy that is not clearly communicated during the sale or even hinted at in their marketing. Throttling the bandwidth (FAP) as if Grandma uploading pictures of her grandkids to social media is somehow a threat to the unimaginable, vast amount of bandwidth they have.

Fair Access is not predatory, it's fair. Everyone deserves to have access, and given that the satellite's broadband is limited (not vast, as you erroneously claim), it has to be rationed. And Grandma is not the problem. The problem is people like you who want to do data-intensive activities such as streaming, and who don't understand the limitations of the technologies, so when a policy hits them, they whine about it. Want to have more data? Move to a city that offers terrestrial internet. No one's forcing you to stay where you are.

>>Moving 60% of purchased bandwidth to the middle of the night, undiscounted even though it is inconvenient to use. Again, no transparency about this.

It's not purchased bandwidth. It's bonus bandwith you did not pay for. You may want to read all the FAQs and documentation before making these erroneous pronouncements.

>>The lobbyists from the internet industry fight, bribe and cheat to keep regulatory legislation from happening.

Please provide factual evidence to back up your opinions.

>>Once the fiber installation is done, I'll switch to that company.

Please. And as soon as you can. That way you can start finding fault with them, as they too will have policies that you will feel violate your immense sense of entitlement.

>>A company that will be no better than Hughes in their predatory policies, inflated prices and usage of cheap, non-American labor for tier 1 support. But, for the first time in 25 years, I'll be able to stream a movie, subscribe to a streaming service, listen to podcasts and download large files without worrying about being throttled after using 30% of the bandwidth I purchase every month.

Ah, the holy streaming. Heaven forbid you have to curtail that. You poor thing, having to share and control your usage.

>>Since this is a Hughes forum, this will probably get deleted by a moderator without getting posted. I would call that unethical, but corporations aren't bound by ethical constraints.

Actually, they are. But you wouldn't know that.

>> If it does get posted, then good for Hughes for allowing open public discourse, even though this privately owned forum for isn't bound by the 1st Amendment. And to the employee who responds to this, I understand it is your job to do so and I look forward to our conversation.

I'm responding to this and I'm not an employee. I'm a long time subscriber (over 15 years).

You're response is incredibly hostile. My entire post is an opinion. I am under no obligation to provide evidence for any of my claims, just as you have provided no evidence for any of your claims. You accuse me of making unsubstantiated claims, then you respond with unsubstantiated claims. Do you see that?

When I bought my plan, it was specifically advertised as a 50Gb plan. Not a 20Gb plan with bonus bandwidth overnight. I see they no longer advertise this on their website. As a matter of fact, there is no pricing at all for the consumer plans. "No hard data limits" are advertised on their website, despite the fact that your throughput is throttled when you use a set amount of data. How would you define "hard data limit"?

I'm an Engineer specializing in networked factory automation. I'm familiar with the bandwidth resources available on the market. There is no valid reason to throttle bandwidth to a private home other than to extract more money from the family living there. You may not be an employee, but you are definitely shilling for a business that you have no vested interest in. Why would you do that? What do you gain from your shilling and hostility?

I stand by everything in my post. Your response added nothing to the conversation.  

His response addressed everything you publicly opined, one by one, with clear, accurate facts, not opinion.

If that's being hostile, perhaps you have a problem with your incorrect opinions being publicly corrected with accurate statements. 

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

He provided no documentation to support his claims, he just said the opposite of what I sad. He quoted no qualifications that would lead me to believe he was an expert in this particular matter, or on technology in general.  Please feel free to point out the facts he used to supposedly refute my opinion and provide the documentation to back up your assertion. Nothing in my earlier message claimed anything I said was a fact. Please read through my message again and point out where I said any statement was an undeniable fact and not an opinion based on my personal experience. Do I need to label everything I write with a caution label like those white pouches in beef jerky packages?

And why are people shilling for a company that's not paying you a salary, and is charging you money every month? Is hughes.net a cult or a religion or something? What Am I missing.

I look forward to reviewing the documentation you or the other poster provide to prove my opinion wrong. I would also like some information on why you think it is your duty to protect a company that is monetizing  an essential service? 

I look forward to looking at your angry face when we produce the same amount of documentation you provided.

We owe you nothing and you are free and welcome to believe any other of your fairy tales that your heart desires.

Have a nice day.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

You just paraphrased, "I know you are, but what am I?" Where to begin... You can in no way give me permission. By saying that, you imply that you are somehow superior. This is a narcissistic trait. Same with "your fairy tales". The final "have a nice day" - passive aggressive. You're into an obscure branch of amateur radio, which fits. Your age makes you a boomer, which shocked me not at all. Serious question - are you divorced?

And who are "We"? Are you aligning yourself with Hughes.net, or maratsade (a interesting reference to a German play from 1963)

Neither of you answered my questions. To begin with, I'm not sure why you reacted so strongly to someone having a negative opinion about a company neither of you work for, or have any reason to defend. That doesn't seem odd to you? Between the two of you, you've made 10,000 posts here.

I would love to chat more, but you guys are obviously busy being Hughes Hero's. Your comments have anchored my post, so it's less likely to be moderated. Let's see how many people agree with me. That will be fun.

sounds to me like your more than a little butt hurt because someone has a negative opinion about a company that you supposedly don`t work for.

@GeneB 

Sounds like you're a tremendous troll, responding to a conversation from last May that:

a) Didn't involve you, and

b) Used an incorrect assumption of my employment status that makes absolutely zero sense.

You might want to learn the difference between your and you're. It'll help people to respect whatever intelligence you may have.

I'd also advise not coming on here after you'd started drinking, so you don't make a fool of yourself.

Have a wonderful Sunday...

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@EddieCranford wrote:

Living in a rural area leaves little choice for internet providers. Hopefully, politicians will fight to make internet access a fundamental right and regulate it like radio and power. Until then, predatory providers like Hughes.net will continue to provide substandard service at inflated prices.

I'm sure Hughes can rationalize their expense and limitations. I'm sure they would gladly let their prices and control be regulated in trade for federal subsidies (lol... no). The good news is that the government (that would be us, the hughes.net customers) is subsidizing the expansion of the fiber optic network to rural customers. They are running it down the side of my road right now. Somehow, that slipped by the 100% "business friendly" government of my home state. 

Geostationary satellite internet is the most expensive form of internet, per customer, to both provide and maintain.  No one twisted your arm to sign up for it.  

@EddieCranford wrote:

Hughes divides my purchased band width so that about 60% is available only in the middle of the night, starting at 2:00 AM. Then they sell you tokens to buy back some of the bandwidth you've already paid for during peak hours. That must have them laughing all the way to the bank.

Your plan has a set amount of high speed data, and reduced speed after that set amount.  THAT is what you are paying for.  Whether you exhaust your plan data, and whether you buy data tokens, is entirely up to you and under your control.  No one is twisting your arm to buy anything.

@EddieCranford wrote:

They also farm out their tier 1 support to sweat shops somewhere in India. When I ask "Bob" where his office is located, Bob gets a little evasive. I'm sure they are fearful because they've been told not to disclose that information and will be severely punished if caught doing so. The local techs who install the equipment for customers are independent contractors, not employees. That means no benefits like insurance, 401Ks, etc. and I doubt they will ever get rich subbing for Hughes. Hughes.net is fast becoming a business like the car title loan offices that pop up in poor neighborhoods. 

They have a few overseas customer support locations, and they aren't "sweatshops".  What a wonderful display of ignorance sprinkled with a slight touch of jingoism.

@EddieCranford wrote:

I've been a Hughes customer for a long time. Long enough to have switched satellites once, replace my dish and LNB a few times and go through a few modem replacements due to obsolescence. Their service has always been subpar (giving credit for satellite driven latencies), their policies have always been predatory - Fair Access Policy that is not clearly communicated during the sale or even hinted at in their marketing. Throttling the bandwidth (FAP) as if Grandma uploading pictures of her grandkids to social media is somehow a threat to the unimaginable, vast amount of bandwidth they have. Moving 60% of purchased bandwidth to the middle of the night, undiscounted even though it is inconvenient to use. Again, no transparency about this.

Access to the internet is now as important as access to electricity or clean, lead free water. The lobbyists from the internet industry fight, bribe and cheat to keep regulatory legislation from happening.

Once the fiber installation is done, I'll switch to that company. A company that will be no better than Hughes in their predatory policies, inflated prices and usage of cheap, non-American labor for tier 1 support. But, for the first time in 25 years, I'll be able to stream a movie, subscribe to a streaming service, listen to podcasts and download large files without worrying about being throttled after using 30% of the bandwidth I purchase every month.

Since this is a Hughes forum, this will probably get deleted by a moderator without getting posted. I would call that unethical, but corporations aren't bound by ethical constraints. If it does get posted, then good for Hughes for allowing open public discourse, even though this privately owned forum for isn't bound by the 1st Amendment. And to the employee who responds to this, I understand it is your job to do so and I look forward to our conversation.

YOU signed up for it.  YOU stay with it.  YOU burn through your data.  And I notice you haven't whined one little bit about the DSL, cable or fiber companies who don't think enough of you or other rural people to offer service.  Instead, you whine about the service you can get, but which isn't like ground based service and never will be.  It's like someone only being able to buy a two wheel drive economy car and then ridiculously whining that they can't drive up a mountain trail with it.  But oh darn, that's right, those companies can't make enough money off of you to make it worth their while.  Nope.  Let's just make outrageous complaints about the service you can get.  🙄

@GabeUSave your time and ignore him. You can't teach him anything.