New 75 GB plan

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBuster
Senior

New 75 GB plan

How many folks plan to move up from the 50 GB plan to the new 75 GB plan?   I had not heard of this before, but I will be getting this new plan.  Is this plan of limited availability?  

I heard of a few unusual plans available in certain states, anybody know if this new plan will be widely available, or only available in sparsely populated beams?

18 REPLIES 18
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

N/C

I thought there would be more crowing about this new 75 GB plan as it has me excited.  Mr. maratsade seemed interested too, but edited his post to N/C.  Was this a super exclusive offering only for birds with proper plumage?  I can understand more crowded beams not getting something like this, but aren't there a good number of less busy beams yet?  Based on testmy data, it looked to me like there were a fair number of beams without a heavy load as of 18 months ago.

Has nobody else received a letter about this?

maratsade

Not 100% sure, but I think this is only available in NY state.

@maratsade wrote:

Not 100% sure, but I think this is only available in NY state.

I had heard earlier that NY had a special deal, but I am in beam 82 -- no where near NY, so this made me think other areas where getting things like this.

maratsade

Cool. I hope some people can take advantage of this offer. 

Based on a discussion in "myAccount and Billing" this is a plan transition for everyone, not just birds with fancy feathers on empty beams.  I guess in a few months maybe I will take a gander at the handful of more crowded beams on TestMy to see what the effect has been on them.  I guess empty beams will not show any change.

Any old professors here with an archive link to the old forum site of those other guys?  They dropped that forum a while back, but I remember when they offered a super plan (freedom?) and posts began popping up like mushrooms showing people attempting to download over 1TB with that crazy plan on a satellite with less bandwidth than J2.  

Any thoughts about the new plans on your beam?

GabeU

I've checked a few different addresses on the HughesNet site and I'm not seeing anything with 75GB.  Might it be something specific to your state, or even your area of your state?  In NY, or at least my area of the state, we have one that's larger than the normal top plan of 50GB.  It's actually the only plan being offered here.

There is another thread with details.

Here is the information:

https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/account_billing/planchange

"The new plans include 50% more data than the previous plans."

So it sounds like the 50GB plan becomes the 75GB, and I suppose 30GB becomes 45GB, 20GB becomes 30GB, and 10GB becomes 15GB.

The change is happening starting February 1, 2022 and they are sending notices 30 days before, so I think I just received the notice a few days earlier as my plan rolls over sooner than most.  I thought it might be just certain beams because I heard of the special NY plan, but it seems to be everyone.  I thought I was getting something super-exclusive for a little bit -- heh heh

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I don't like the wording in that, what so ever...  Depending on the price increase, it may cause a lot to jump ship.

Capture.PNG

Infrastructure costs have surely gone up...  Though, it seems this is a change of contract, hence the 30 day notice they are stating... This means even newly registered users can freely jump ship with no ETF...

What throws me for a loop is, I am on a VERY old plan, a 5GB Gen4 Choice plan, so is there going to be a 7.5GB plan, that's only $5 more? Or am I going to be seeing a $20 or $30 increase?

I can afford $5... Maybe $10...  But if this bumps me to the next plan tier entirely, then I might actually have to abandon ship regardless of my status...  Food is hard enough to afford right now 😕

Interesting that Hughes tells you how much data you use each month and forces you to buy extra tokens to get out of the throttling speed.  Their commercial says your service speed will never be cut back, but it is whenever "they say" you've exceeded your usage limit. I'm using Windows 10 Pro and have my system setup to meter internet usage.  We do not stream or watch movies on demand but Hughes shows high data usage everyday.  The data usage got extremely high after I bought extra tokens this month.  I would like Hughes to explain why my metered system indicates 5.35GB usage since January 17th and they say I'm over 40GB.  All my Windows upgrades are at 2:30am and the only software I've downloaded this month was my Turbo Tax upgrade.  

maratsade

"Their commercial says your service speed will never be cut back, but it is whenever "they say" you've exceeded your usage limit."

That's inaccurate.

What they say is they won't cut you off (as in cut your service) or charge you extra to say online. You will continue to be able to access the Internet, only at a reduced speed, until the next billing cycle. If you want to increase your speed immediately, you can use data tokens. This is stated on the company's website and also in their fair access policy document, which is available freely to everyone to read, and everyone should.  

Everything you do on the Web uses data. HughesNet sells you a data package; they do not use the data for you.  If you're running out of data, it's because you or your devices are using it.  You can install the free Glassware app on Windows and Android devices to see what's using the data.  Also,  having an ad blocker can help save some data. 

Data can be used up very fast. If you have a 50 GB package, for example, you can only use an average of 1.6GB of data a day. That's not much at all.  If you have a 30 GB package, you can only use 0.96 GB a day (that's less than one GB).  That would be used up even faster.  

I put the information below on chat and an agent connected, but there was no response for over forty five minutes.  Is this a case of the Fox watching the hen house?
Unanswered chat below.

My metered network indicates I've used 5.35GB of data since January 17th. We don't watch movies through the service. Tell me why I've used over 40GB.

maratsade

They can't tell you where you data went.  You will need to use Glasswire or similar to see what's using the data. 

@maratsade wrote:

They can't tell you where you data went.  You will need to use Glasswire or similar to see what's using the data. 

--------------------------------------------

You don't need glasswire to see your being overcharged for data usage.  I'm using the Windows 10 network status metering system.  It doesn't tell what is being accessed by the system, but it does tell the total usage on your network.  As of yesterday I'd used 5.35GB since January 17th and this morning I'm up to 5.48GB.  As I said, we do not watch movies on our PC or spend long hours working on the PC.  What is interesting data usage increased dramatically after I bought additional tokens.  I only intended to buy 10GB but the slow Hughes system made me think I didn't make a purchase and I mistakemly bought extra.  I bought 10GB a few months ago and they were gone within a day.  I thought that was wrong, but now I know it was.  Hughes must have an algorithm that manipulates the usage chart on extra token purchases.  I suggest that more customers take a close look at their usage, because there seems to be a problem.  There is no way I could use 20GB in a few days.  We even use our cell phone service rather than use the home wifi for most of our google searches.   When I posted my concern, in a chat yesterday, the agent never responded to my query and I closed the chat after > 45 minutes.

I guarantee that using Glasswire my data usage will be minimal, but Hughes will ramp up the usage figures and there is no way to get it corrected. 

Maybe your dish is out of alignment, causing it to resend every packet at least once. That would certainly be a reason why you're using a lot of data.

If you ask nicely and without such a negative, accusatory tone, perhaps the admins will see if this is the case.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Excellent points.  

@MarkJFine wrote:

Maybe your dish is out of alignment, causing it to resend every packet at least once. That would certainly be a reason why you're using a lot of data.

If you ask nicely and without such a negative, accusatory tone, perhaps the admins will see if this is the case.

maratsade

You need something to show what is using the data. Just having the total data usage is not helpful to you if you want to see where the data is going.  Glasswire will show you what is using the data. It could be a browser, it could be a network process, it could be an ad blocker or another app,  it could be many things. Glasswire reports are useful and would help you figure out what is going on.  This is something you have to do yourself, as HughesNet does not monitor what you use the data on. 

Using Glasswire or something similar is entirely your choice, of course. Just be aware that your ticket here is going nowhere, and that cancellation fees will very likely be considered valid if you decide to cancel your account.  It'd be in your own interest and benefit to install Glasswire.  But again, this is your choice and I respect that. 

GabeU

@jwbal58 

Unless you have your Windows 10 computer's WiFi set up as a mobile hotspot and every device on your network connects to the net through that computer, the only thing your "Windows 10 network status metering system" is monitoring is the data usage of the computer itself.  A Windows 10 computer can't monitor the data being used by other devices that are connected to the HughesNet modem.  IOW, if you have a phone, tablet, satellite TV receiver or any other device(s) connected to the HughesNet modem, the data that device(s) uses isn't going to show on your Windows 10 computer.