PLEASE ADVISE//Beyond Frustrated

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Exhausted
Sophomore

PLEASE ADVISE//Beyond Frustrated

This is what I posted and sent Hughes. I have never had any issues with any other internet/phone/company period. Our experience is beyond insane.
Imagine not having internet for 2 months AND being charged for it! Imagine making over 30 phone calls (all between 1-2 hours each) and getting nowhere.
Imagine taking 2 half days off of work to wait for HughesNet repair people and then having them not show up!
Imagine having multiple HughesNet representatives GUARANTEE that your account will be credited, that you only owe such and such amount, that you’ll be getting a box to ship back your equipment, only to have the next person tell you something totally different.
Imagine wasting HOURS on the phone thinking you’ll get help and that you are dealing with a normal company—like ATT or Verizon, only to find out that you can NEVER talk to anyone higher up, you can’t hear the recordings of conversations (luckily you took lots of notes), and that you, the customer, were “misinformed” by other reps.
Where to begin with our HughesNet saga...
*Let me begin by saying that it is almost impossible to get someone in customer service from the States (nothing against any other country, but many of these people have canned lines, have no authority, and can offer no help.)
*Getting a guarantee from someone in customer service means nothing. Hughes does NOT stand behind its word. It is a shady and dishonest company.
*Customer service reps (many) will not listen to past case #s and will hang up on you.
Here is our story:
1.) We signed up with Hughes in January 2017. For the first month, our service was decent. It was slow, but usable. We were able to send emails, go on social media and were even able to watch 2 Netflix movies that month.

2.) Fast forward to month two. Service stated to slow WAY down. Calls were made, lots of time spent on phone messing with our equipment and troubleshooting. Netflix streaming wasn’t working great—even at low resolution, and internet started to slow way down.
3.) We were frustrated. Got busy with life and called customer service on and off. Month 3 we cancelled Netflix. Checked into other options and just dealt with it. Speed stated to resemble dial up. Everything was slow to load. We were eating through data simply trying to connect. We had frequent error messages saying we had no internet connection.
4.) Fast forward to our repair. Our original installer came out told us that our old satellite was terrible, that there was no way we could stream on it and yes, our current speeds were like dial up. (Mind you, he contradicted everything he told us at original set up: speed, streaming, etc.,. All lies.) He talked us into getting the new Satellite which was supposed to be amazing.
5.) We took the bait. Signed up. Extended our contract for another year. It worked better for the first few months. Then the Hughes slowdown occurred. ALL of the time—even at start of a new cycle.
6.) Calls were made. Lots of wasted time troubleshooting. Nothing got resolved long term.
7.) At this point, reps were helpful, but most couldn’t do much except read from a script.
8.) Fast forward to June of 2018. We couldn’t connect. Period. Spend hours and hours on the phone. Got nowhere. Got moved to tier 3 support—these people appeared to know their stuff.
They had someone scheduled to come out and repair our service.
9.) We were told for our inconvenience we would be credited for the time of no service.
10.) A month goes by. In the meantime, our credit card continues to get charged on autopay—for the INCORRECT amount. Hughes continued to charge us at a higher rate—even after many phone calls and admitting their error.

11.) Repair day. We took a half day off. Confirmed appointment via text. Waited. No one showed. Called Hughes. Hughes blames repair contractor. Contractor blamed Hughes—he was out of state at a HughesNet conference and told them he couldn’t do the repair. Hughes denied it.
12.) We rescheduled for the following week. Took off ANOTHER 1/2 day. Guess what NO SHOW AGAIN. Hughes suggests I call the repair contractor. They give me his number, I call, the number is “no longer in service”. Beyond frustrated, I call Hughes again, spend hours on the phone constantly retelling the same story over and over again. I accrue yet another case number.
13.) Hughes has no idea when a repair person will be out. Credit card is charged again—wrong amount, still we have no service.
14.) July/August: talk to numerous representatives—the ones who are patient and don’t hang up on me—guarantee that we will get two months credit for all of the time we’ve had no internet. Promise that someone will be out at end of August to get us hooked up again.
15.) Our account is credited for $66/per each month but charges for $86/per month still keep going though. Rep tells us they can’t stop charges, but we are being credited. She blanes our credit card company. I call back numerous times and am told we are getting the credit and that Hughes will reverse credit card charges. They don’t.
16.) The nonsense and confusion and phone calls and wasted time continue. Rep tells us to contest chargexeuth our credit card.
17.) We contest the charge. I spend hours on the phone to get Hughes to credit on on our VISA the $88-. Finally in August it goes through.
18.) We still are being charged $88 for July-August and still don’t have Internet...we contest it, drop our autopay. Hughes guarantees us that we will be credited again.
19.) End of August. Internet is restored, but it dial up slow after 2 days of decent use. September credit card is charged for $88-. Charges become confusing. Hughes does NOT put usage dates on its bills—super shady—no other service provider dies this. They make it intentionally confusing.
20.) We contest charge again, but are exhausted! Hughes somehow gets charge to go through, so the promise of having July-August credited was a lie. At the same time, I get numerous paper bills all with different amounts owed on account.
21.) I talk with more reps who either hang up on me or tell me we’re WERE credited or should have been credited.
22.) At my wit’s end, I’m sick of being told one thing and then having it not honored. I also discover that I can get the same level of slow internet on my phone while not on WiFi. I call Hughes in early October and ask how much it will be to cancel. I’m told that I will only owe $175 to get out of contract which expires on Jan 12, 2019.
23.) I call back, cancel and am told I need to return equipment in 45 days or we will be charged for it. Box is set to arrive in 1 week.
24.) I call back a week later. No box. I worry about Hughes not honoring what they’ve told me. Rep cannot tell me what I owe. She now says box won’t arrive for another 2 weeks.
25.) Bill in mail arrives saying we owe $700(!!!)
26.) I call Hughes ONCE again. Hours on the phone. Give all the case numbers again. Ask them to play recordings of various case numbers to prove that we were supposed to be credited for months of no service, that we were told we only owed $175 to get out of contract, etc.,. I was told they can not access those recordings. Rep is unable to tell me who can access them. I’m out though to a supposed manager, who also cannot access recordings. I am told by him that he does see where we were told we would be credited AND that we only owed $175. He also tells me that our contract isn’t up until JULY! I pull out the contract on my end and read it to him. He says he has July on his end! Again insane!
27.) I learn that our credit card was charged for $88 for the July-August billing cycle. The time in which we HAD NO INTERNET!
28.) I tell him that we have no issue paying for Sept-Oct and Oct-cancel date, but that we should have the $88 applied to it. (We were told that would happen by previous reps.) We also asked him to explain charges.
29.) He explains charges, that we were credited (on Hughes end—which means nothing when your card continues to get charged) AND that the box to return equipment isn’t coming until the END OF DECEMBER!!!
30.) I explain (as per the cancellation rep and our physical contract) that we only have 45 days to return equipment. That date will be well past the 45 days (ANOTHER SCAM AND LIE?). After trying to explain that for 15 minutes, he says that Hughes has a reinstatement policy where after you cancel you have 3 months to sign back up with no installation fees(!?) WTH?!??? Mind you, this is the first I’ve heard of this and contradicts what other agents said. Again, scammy and dishonest.
31.) I explain that we are done with Hughes, will not sign up again, and that to send box now.
32.) He says box cannot be sent yet. I ask for physical address to send equipment and get it after he talks to higher up person. Without a name to send it to, it seems unlikely that it will get to the right person.
So this is where we stand:
I refuse to pay for the equipment and would like to return it ASAP, I would like Hughes to honor their credits and $175- termination fee and most of all, I’d like to be done with Hughes.
The time, stress, and lack of normal customer service, billing practices, and ethical practices are concerning.
15 REPLIES 15
johnlawson1
Freshman

Stick to your guns! We have only had it for about a week and are already dissatisfied. They dont tell you about the latency issue with sattelite internet service. We had 3 mbps dsl and it was faster. Partly my fault for not doing enough research but I thaught 25 mbps would be faster. I was wrong!

I’m trying, John. Thank you.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@johnlawson1 wrote:

Stick to your guns! We have only had it for about a week and are already dissatisfied. They dont tell you about the latency issue with sattelite internet service. We had 3 mbps dsl and it was faster. Partly my fault for not doing enough research but I thaught 25 mbps would be faster. I was wrong! 

During your sales call the salesperson asks if you play online games.  If you indicate that you do, they will explain the difficulty with real time online gaming and the reason for it, with that being high latency.  

While the higher latency can affect a few different things, online real time gaming is the most prominent.  They can only ask so many questions during the sales call, and because of gaming's prevalence it is the latency related question they ask.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Capture.PNG

I'll never understand the social media mentality of "misery always attracting more company."

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi Mark,
I don’t get your post. (?) I’m a pretty positive and happy person, but am incredibly frustrated with our situation. I had hoped that others who have had similar experiences would have advice. Again, I’m not trying to be negative, just looking for solutions.

Not only do I understand the frustration but have been experiencing it for 3 months Endless phone calls with 1-2 hours on with people who only use your data running the same insane speed tests they do each and every time. Now they are trying to bill avredit card I used for original install and saying thats how they do it. I gave no authorization for this and am now being told that to send apaper bill it is an adittional 5.00 per month. Ihave not had decent internet in this entire three months and all I get is phone calls asking how the service is and if you are not happy  they never follow up. The option is to demand to be let out of their ridiculous contract with no penalty. I fully intend to hit social media with every lie they have told and the lies and ommisions of their sales teams and also with the regulatory agencies who oversee companies that cheat and lie to seniors.Good luck to all those who are suffering with what has to be the worst internet and customer service I have ever seen.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Alizbear, if you'd like the Hughesnet people on this site to address your concerns, you should post them on the Tech Support or the myAccount and Billing boards.   The Hughesnet staff here prefer to provide customers with individualized attention and support, and they will be happy to address your concerns if you start your own topic on the right forum instead of posting on someone else's forum.   They're here M-F, 9-5.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@Alizbear wrote:

Not only do I understand the frustration but have been experiencing it for 3 months Endless phone calls with 

Alizbear,
I’m super sorry that this is happening to you too. I do believe there are people at Hughes net that wanted to help, but for some reason it is too difficult for them to give you access to a manager and it seems as if billing and tech support do not talk to one another. I’d like to think that all the people who I talk to who were kind and helpful really thought they could guarantee us a solution or help and I believe they really thought that what they told us would be honored. Often times I talked to someone at a slightly higher up level to confirm what they said. I feel you on the 1 to 2 hour phone calls as well. I started logging them in the Winter. I’m truly hoping I can get somewhere with our situation. I hope the same for you. It is been extremely confusing this whole process all of it. When we move to a more rural location we had to get rid of AT&T for our Internet. We kept it for our landline. We were under contract and it was very easy to get out of. Super simple billing, super simple with regard to customer service, and Super simple with regard to resolution. It literally took one phone call. I don’t know about your Hughes net bills but ours don’t even show you the date of service. So you really have no idea what months you are paying for.

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in our community. I want to do everything I can to help get things resolved for you. I've already located your account and will do a thorough investigation, including a sales call review if one is available. It may take another business day to all of this, at least the top level things, but I will keep you updated along the way. Your patience is appreciated.

Thank you,

Amanda

Hi,

Actually, just spoke with one of my coworkers here in Executive Customer Care who let me know they are handling your case. He should be in touch with you regarding a resolution soon.

Thanks,

Amanda

Thank you, Amanda! I look forward to talking with him.
I received an email today from Nadia Carter (who, from the sound of it, looks like didn’t read my email). I tried sending emails on the Hughes site, but had character limitations and had to send 1, 2, 3, etc.,. She likely was responding to one of those & didn’t understand the history or situation.

Hello,

We haven't heard from you in a while so this thread will be closed. Please feel free to reach out to your assigned corporate representative if you need further assistance on this issue.

Thank you,

Amanda

Hi BirdDog,
Thanks for the reply. I know this is not tech support, just was hoping that other customers had answers or advice.
Amanda

Hello,

Just checking in! I was told that an email reply was sent your way and a voicemail left on your phone from our corporate team here. 

Thanks,

Amanda