Raspberry Pi 4?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Raspberry Pi 4?

Has anyone gotten a Raspberry Pi 4 yet?  If so, which one, and what do you use it for?  

2 REPLIES 2

@GabeU wrote:

Has anyone gotten a Raspberry Pi 4 yet?  If so, which one, and what do you use it for?  

I have looked at them on Amazon, and frankly, I'm not impressed.  For about ten dollars more, one can buy a fanless, SSD, preassembled mini PC capable of running Linux, or if you're a real masochist, Windoze.  :<)> 

I like the little mini PCs though.  I've been running a Mintbox Mini for four years as my main PC,  3 1/4 x 3 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches, including the heat sink.  No fan or hard drive, it just sits there on my desk in total silence and runs.    If it ever dies, I'll probably replace it with something like this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Support-Windows-Fanless-Computer-Graphics/dp/B07V3RHZM3/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_pm?ac...

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

If the primary purpose is a PC replacement, then sure, there are much better choices, but that's not what most people buy a Pi for.  Most people use it for one or more of the thousands of different projects that people have invented for it, including retro gaming, which is one of the main ones.  The numerous capabilities and small expense are the main reasons it's so popular.

But again, sure, if a PC replacement is the primary purpose, one would be better spending a little more and getting something better suited to that purpose.     

I'd looked at those mini PCs before, like the one you linked to, and they're pretty nifty.