Snow

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Snow

Finally, some appreciable snow in Central Virginia - maybe an inch. Was out in the dark this morning getting it off the dishes.

Thinking real hard if driveway needs a quick shovel (lots of pushing with no piling up) or not. Great way to get the steps in.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
19 REPLIES 19
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, I have about three feet, and Erie, PA, just southwest of me, has nearly seven.  I can send you some if you like.  😛   

Edit:  Just found the December total, so far, for my area.  It's 105", with most of it coming in two separate snow events.  SMH.  

I hope that, with this really cold weather, Lake Erie is going to freeze over soon, as the longer it takes to freeze the longer we're going to have this lake effect snow.  😞 

Well, I waited until 2pm and the revised forecast said it wasn't getting above freezing, with less solar loading than I thought. Ended up going out to shovel when it was probably too late. I got most of it, but there was still a good lot stuck-on.

Bottom line: I got a good 7000 steps out of it, but no lifting action. Ended up running 35 minutes of progression intervals on the treadmill when I came in afterwards anyway.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@MarkJFine, do you live near mountains? I didn't know it was snowing in parts of Virginia too.  I've been seeing a lot on the Web about the ridiculous amounts of snow that fell on PA.

Southern Fauquier - Foothills of the Piedmont. We got a bit overnight the other night, but nothing during the day.

Western PA probably got the Erie Express, like @GabeU.

maratsade

I had to look up Fauquier County. So you're close to NVA and the DC area. Cool.

Drive-time-wise I'm really midway between DC and Richmond, now that most of 95 to the South is high-speed.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Southern Fauquier - Foothills of the Piedmont. We got a bit overnight the other night, but nothing during the day.

Western PA probably got the Erie Express, like @GabeU.

My former in laws lived in southern Fauquier County, in Sumerduck.   Before I went to the wholesale part of the HVAC business and started working in Fairfax (actually Merrifield) I often worked in Fauquier County.  The company that I was a tech for for had a lot of customers there.  Still do, as far as I know.  

@GabeU wrote:

My former in laws lived in southern Fauquier County, in Sumerduck.   Before I went to the wholesale part of the HVAC business and started working in Fairfax (actually Merrifield) I often worked in Fauquier County.  The company that I was a tech for for had a lot of customers there.  Still do, as far as I know.  

Yup... not far from me at all. In fact the guy who introduced me to HughesNet (think it was during the HN7000 era) was from Sumerduck. He (or his people actually) helped to develop the original technology all this is based on.

maratsade

"Bottom line: I got a good 7000 steps out of it, but no lifting action. Ended up running 35 minutes of progression intervals on the treadmill when I came in afterwards anyway."

I don't think we in the UK do that much exercise in an afternoon; perhaps not in a lifetime.  For lifting action, try a pint in each hand. 😉 😉

I used to do it all in the early morning and prefer getting it out of the way. Lately it's been a lot of whenever I get motivated. I used to do my strength routine (pressups/situps and/or curls) every morning, but I extended it and started doing twice a week instead because it wasn't really burning anything. Takes me over an hour to finish now, so it's harder to get motivated.

maratsade

If I don't exercise in the morning, and early at that, I don't exercise at all.  There's just no time once the day gets started.  And kudos to you for staying in shape!

@MarkJFine wrote:

I used to do it all in the early morning and prefer getting it out of the way. Lately it's been a lot of whenever I get motivated. I used to do my strength routine (pressups/situps and/or curls) every morning, but I extended it and started doing twice a week instead because it wasn't really burning anything. Takes me over an hour to finish now, so it's harder to get motivated.

You would think with all I do I'd look like a superhuman. I have abs from situps and running, but no real arm bulk or lats. I've no problem with that. I just don't want to go back to the mess I was in the 2000's when I wasn't doing anything, stressed-out, weighed over 4 stone more, and smoked at least a carton a week of Newport Lights on top of that.

maratsade

@MarkJFine, Wow, you were really rushing toward the grave back then.  Even though you're not Mr. MuscleBound, you're healthy and that's what matters. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

You would think with all I do I'd look like a superhuman. I have abs from situps and running, but no real arm bulk or lats. I've no problem with that. I just don't want to go back to the mess I was in the 2000's when I wasn't doing anything, stressed-out, weighed over 4 stone more, and smoked at least a carton a week of Newport Lights on top of that.

True. Was probably in better shape before all this achilles and fasciitis stuff started a little over a year ago. I could probably go a good 90' with a non-League side. Even started a health/fitness series for my 10 year non-smoking anny.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Snow.........yuck! Why we moved further south although also in the deep freeze right now. At least no snow or ice, knock on wood. Hard packed snow on rural dirt/gravel roads is the worst. No thanks, nice you're enjoying it though. Smiley Happy

maratsade

"Edit:  Just found the December total, so far, for my area.  It's 105", with most of it coming in two separate snow events.  SMH.  "

@GabeU, all the snow I've seen in my life, combined, doesn't even come close to that.  That's 8 and 3/4 feet, and only for a month. Wow.  Let me say that backwards: wow.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"Edit:  Just found the December total, so far, for my area.  It's 105", with most of it coming in two separate snow events.  SMH.  "

@GabeU, all the snow I've seen in my life, combined, doesn't even come close to that.  That's 8 and 3/4 feet, and only for a month. Wow.  Let me say that backwards: wow.

Want some of it?  LOL.  

Luckily, nearly all of the snow from the first event had melted before it got cold again and the second event started.  Right where I live I don't that we got quite that much, but I'd say at least between six and seven feet between the two.  Most of the highest amount that we get in this area is further up the hill that I live on.  It's not far, but just two mile's distance can mean the difference between a couple inches and foot of snow.   There are often times that we get barely anything while five miles south of us they are getting hammered.  Lake effect snow comes in bands, and they can remain stationary or move north and south.  When they just sit there, like the one did over Erie, PA over the last week, you get slammed.

Back in Nov 2014, over the course of a few days, Buffalo, which is about 25 miles north of me, got about 15", while a villlage ten miles to the south east got 88".  We got about two inches.  That one made the national news, too.  

maratsade

@GabeU,

Yes, I'll take 2 inches of snow, please.  I imagine FedEx delivers??   LOL

This past week parts of the UK got 12 inches of snow --  the news and pretty much everyone were acting like it was 10 feet.  See, we're not used to that much snow.  🙂  Or extreme weather in general, although recently there were high winds in the UK and Ireland.

Lake effect snow is so weird to me.  Lots of things in this country are so over the top.  LOL  (ETA: not a criticism, btw.)

How odd that 5 miles makes such a difference in snow amounts. The only thing I saw once that was really bizarre is that it was raining on my side of the street and it was sunny across the street. 

kitnbob
Tutor

Snow and ice covered the ground in parts of every state Wednesday 01-17-2018

according to weather.com