So Slow

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
salfichera
Spectator

So Slow

I have been trying to get a decent speed since 6 am.  The speed has ranged from a high of about 10 to a low of .3.  I have run speed tests many time this morining.  I have noticed the servers used changed from test to test.  This service sucks, big time.  4 hours to download a large audio file (@ .4 speed)!  There have been times in the past when the speed was up at 37.  But you can't count on that.  Mostly frustrating and impossible to stream video of any length. 

Unless you really must have the internet, don't subscribe to this service.  Now I must wait another 18 months to cancel it or pay $400 penalty.  Take my advice - read a book - listen to the radio - take a walk,  forget the "Information Age" unless you can get Xfinity cable.  I think Hughes must need more satelites to improve, but even if they do I will never use them again or any other Dish product !!

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@salfichera wrote:

I have run speed tests many time this morining.  I have noticed the servers used changed from test to test.    

Let me guess, you're using speedtest.net.  First, that speed test cannot be relied upon as accurate.  Secondly, that their servers constantly change doesn't mean anything.  

For an accurate speed test use testmy.net, the manual 25MB test size for download tests and the manual 4MB test size for upload tests.  

It you'd like to troubleshoot your speed issues, please create a post in the tech support section.  

Did as suggested.  Result is 3.1.  Still downloading from this morning (6.4GB).  Still have to wait another 3 hrs, since download is only 53% completed.  My computer, router, dish postion and wire connections are not the issued -  Hughes Service is the problem, so why bother posting to tech, which will offer suggestions like "make sure the router is not blocked" (it is next to computer) or "maybe the router is getting hot" (it's in the open and it is 60 degrees F in here) - all things that your overseas tech support has suggested in the past.  If you don't have a good answer just give me sweet words - NOT

You assumption that we do/say the same things as telephone support is incorrect.

We're users with some of the same issues and know the tricks of how to get things working.

We also work with actual HughesNet Corporate-level employees that can escalate the issues if we cannot help.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@salfichera wrote:

Did as suggested.  Result is 3.1.  Still downloading from this morning (6.4GB).  Still have to wait another 3 hrs, since download is only 53% completed.  My computer, router, dish postion and wire connections are not the issued -  Hughes Service is the problem, so why bother posting to tech, which will offer suggestions like "make sure the router is not blocked" (it is next to computer) or "maybe the router is getting hot" (it's in the open and it is 60 degrees F in here) - all things that your overseas tech support has suggested in the past.  If you don't have a good answer just give me sweet words - NOT

Have you bothered to read throught he Community and the replies to issues?  I don't recall ever reading a reply that suggested someone make sure their router isn't blocked (maybe range related) or that maybe their router is getting hot.  

This isn't phone support.  

With that said, it's your choice.  No one's going to twist your arm.  

maratsade

Also not reading that this is not the right area to post about tech issues.... 🙂

I have been reading through these things for about the last hour or so. My this is my second month in Gen5 and I can truly agree with this post about it being so slow.I have contacted tech support over 10 times, ran speed test on every site they have asked me too, ran on their own site over 10 times. I have disconnected everything from the wirless and hooked my computer up wired and ran speed test's and never gotten over 2.?? gbs and the lowest .28gbs for downloads.

I have been told that it was being advanced up to advance tech support and will be getting a call in 24 to 48 hrs and that still hasn't happend so I called to talk to a manger and was told I would be getting a call in 30 minutes over an hours ago. Hummm I can't even use my computer 95% of the time due to slow speeds. I haven't even been home durning the day time and all my stuff has been off for over 4 days and my system renewed on the 15th and I have already gone through over 20% of my data. Can someone explain that one? Nobody has been here to use my internet during the day and all of my stuff is password protected. So something is wrong but tech support just keeps having me do the same stuff over and over and nothing gets fixed everything is the same! 

maratsade

This section is for general discussion and not for Hughesnet support.  You may want to post under Tech Support. 

kurtis42501
New Poster

Hughes Net in general is terrible. I am so glad my 2 years are up and there are finally other services. I have never been able to watch any thing in HD. It keeps stopping and loading. I called to cancel my services, they told me that I had to retrive my radio transmitter from my roof. My lawyer is going to have fun with this one 🙂 Sorry to tell you the best thing you can do is find another provider, plain and simple.

Don't forget to tell your lawyer that you agreed in your contract that you would return the radio on the dish to Hughesnet, or pay a fee for unreturned equipment.