Some people are never happy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Some people are never happy

From the support site of a cable provider, written by a customer who is very unhappy with Internet speeds:

"[Company Name]  are frauds and cheats! They promise speeds of 200 Mbps, and I'm getting 120 tops during the evening hours most days. What a ripoff!" 

I chuckled. A lot.  

23 REPLIES 23
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wow, kinda speechless on that one. Seriously doubt the "promised speeds" part.

maratsade

I checked the company's website, and as expected, the speeds for the different packages are given as "up to."  There are many complaints on their support site about "bad" speeds -- most of which with screen shots of their speed tests showing at least 50 Mbps.  And definitely, it's not a promise, but users take it to be one, and the flaming ire when the speed dips a bit is both hilarious and sad. 

Speaking as someone who has been on both sides of the Government Contracting proposal process (both as an evaluator and producer) ...  I would say you'd be surprised at what people read as literal, then believe must be true when it comes to conditional marketing (as well as politics). Somehow I think you already know not to be surprised. Most people have a selective filter to hear what they think benefits them the best.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Oh, I do.  My work has a lot to do with contracts, so I see that all the time.  It's a bit surreal sometimes, isn't it?   What cracked me up was the fact that they're whining over getting 120 Mbps.  Last night I was getting 731 kbps.  A lot of those people, outraged at how their ISP is "deceving" them and "lying" to them, post their speed tests, and from what I've seen, they get at least 50 Mbps at all times.  I guess it's all perspective. LOL 

I can't post on those forums because I'm not a customer, but I mentally reply to the posts.

I am absolutely certain that if everyone would stop pounding the system with trying to stream 4k (yes, someone actually complained his 4k UHD stream wouldn't work - bit my tongue so hard it bled) and who knows with whatever else, we'd all be better off. If it were me I would block a lot more than just port 25 and then just 🤷🏻‍♂️.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

I am absolutely certain that if everyone would stop pounding the system with trying to stream 4k (yes, someone actually complained his 4k UHD stream wouldn't work - bit my tongue so hard it bled) and who knows with whatever else, we'd all be better off. If it were me I would block a lot more than just port 25 and then just 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I saw that post. Obviously another one who has no clue how much data things use. Will be complaining about how quickly data disappears next. Can not believe anyone tries to stream 4k on limited satellite plans.

I realize it's marketing suicide, but I would also list all those things that would be banned from use right up front and block every single port related to those things. That way, when they complain a or b doesn't work, you could point to those things and say "we told you, but you signed up anyway, sorry not sorry...".

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I wouldn't want to lose my low def Netflix capability but is sad there are lots of idiots that should not be allowed to do certain things. Good grief, they don't realize the simple fact that even if they're getting 20-25 mbps speed it is data suicide to stream video at anything above 720p which also eats data quickly. I don't even do 360p much except shorter clips.

Some are even trying to do that after they FAP. I can't even imagine what that does to the system.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

I realize it's marketing suicide, but I would also list all those things that would be banned from use right up front and block every single port related to those things. That way, when they complain a or b doesn't work, you could point to those things and say "we told you, but you signed up anyway, sorry not sorry...".

Or at the very least tell persepective customers during the sales calls that doing those types of activities use egregious amounts of data and HughesNet isn't made for that.  That way, if they still do it it's their choice.  

I still do think they need to at least give a VPN disclaimer to everyone during the initial sales call.  Seeing a lot more VPN related posts lately.     

maratsade

Does anyone know what exactly is in the sales call?  Is there a standard script?  I wonder if they mention these things and people choose not to hear what's being said.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

Does anyone know what exactly is in the sales call?  Is there a standard script?  I wonder if they mention these things and people choose not to hear what's being said.

Kinda doubt even Liz and Amanda do since most likely under constant change.

And the sad truth, probably doesn't matter as sales people are paid to make sales. Only the top tier in the food chain can force the sales segment to do anything if HughesNet is the typical company. The sales top dog most likely sits right beside the alpha dog during all meetings. Who knows what is said during private phone calls.

I've always been a realist. A corporation's main motivation is to make a profit, especially publicly traded ones. HughesNet is part of EchoStar after all, and they impact the bottom line in the end.

maratsade

I agree; a company is there to make a profit; but good companies also seek to provide good customer service -- bad customer service in the end cuts into profits.   As for sales call, there's a bit of a con involved in sales, so it's up the customer to be educated as much as possible and not expect a lot of straightforwardness from a salesperson.

The sales calls are not 100% private, since they get recorded and have been posted in the past.  I wonder if there is some kind of a script and whether some salespeople go off it.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I agree; a company is there to make a profit; but good companies also seek to provide good customer service -- bad customer service in the end cuts into profits.   As for sales call, there's a bit of a con involved in sales, so it's up the customer to be educated as much as possible and not expect a lot of straightforwardness from a salesperson.

The sales calls are not 100% private, since they get recorded and have been posted in the past.  I wonder if there is some kind of a script and whether some salespeople go off it.

Exactly. 

There used to be an "off price" clothing store chain in the US called Syms, and their spokesperson was Sy Syms.  He ended every single TV ad with the company slogan: "An educated consumer is our best customer."  

Lol... I remember those.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The "private call" I was referring to was those between the sales executive and the head honcho.

maratsade

@BirdDog wrote:

The "private call" I was referring to was those between the sales executive and the head honcho.

Ah, yes.  Those are indeed basically off limits to regular people.

maratsade

"He ended every single TV ad with the company slogan: 'An educated consumer is our best customer.'"  

The educated consumer seems to be an endangered species, being quickly replaced by the entitled consumer.

Incidentally, the "I can't stream" rants are really starting to get on my.... last nerve ( @maratsade is probably chuckling because I was going to use a bleep word).

I feel like shaking people and telling them "It's because you're competing with thousands of others trying to stream too and guess what... there's no such thing as unlimited real estate."

maratsade

Totally chuckling here.