Soo.... WHAZ UP~?!?!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Soo.... WHAZ UP~?!?!

Hey, been a while since I was actively posting and such... Trying to get back into the game, at least on Monday Nights, and *potentially* Tuesday nights!  Work has been a drag for me lately, long hours, exhausting long drive, and daily life has pretty much killed what free time I have had.  Those that read my website could tell that I was being dragged along since I have only made like one post the last two months!

So what has everyone been upto?  Heard my ol' buddy Gwalk passed away... 😞

I have finally built a slightly newer computer, something a bit more reliable than the piece of crap I once had!

Hope everyone has been doing good~!  If you tag me, try to keep it to Mondays, or sunday nights... Cause I probably wont respond any other day/night.

10 REPLIES 10
Amanda

Hey!! I was going to reach out to you actually... I had something funky come up with my nighthawk. After getting some new Google products because I'm super behind in technology, my nighthawk on really old (but very stable) firmware decided it wanted to turn on ReadySHARE and all the ReadyJUNK in addition to something called TiVo Connect. For the past week my LAN just dragged... horrible latency spikes and whatnot. Turned it off and all went back to (sort of) normal. The TiVo thing was just requesting multicast heartbeats over and over every minute or so, then all my cast-enabled devices (laptop, pixel phones, etc) would all respond at the same time so this giant London-wipee sized chunk of "YES IM HERE" beacons would clog up my LAN. In short, have you ever experienced that?

Also... I miss Gwalk a whole bunch 😞

~Amanda

edit: by the way, I labeled our modems in the lab the same way you did, lol. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Never experienced that with a Nighthawk before... You have the R7000 right?

Have you thought about going Merlin..?  I have been using a Merlin port on my R7000 for sometime and have never had issues once going to it... Currently I am sitting on 380.68_3
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

That aside, I have no idea why it would automatically be turning on the ready share junk, check firmware updates to see if they addressed such an issue in any of them?

Yes, the R7000. It's odd about readyshare since it appears to be dependent on having a USB connected to the router (I don't) or having a readyshare vault cloud account (I don't). I wonder if the massive multicast pushes somehow triggered it. 

I'm so far behind in firmware, but I have heard horror stories about people updating the firmware on the nighthawk. I may create a backup and try a different firmware this weekend, I'll let you know if I succeed. I really don't want to get a new router since I'm really attached to this one, but I think that soon I won't have the option. 

~Amanda

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To be fairly honest... I process a lot of returns... Nighthawk R7000 are some of the most highly returned units as far as routers go, and it's honestly because the stock firmware is horrible...  If you try third party firmware, make sure to read all instructions about backing firmware up and how to convert back to old firmware, it can be a bit tricky.

@C0RR0SIVE - I can't recall, but I think I am one firmware update ahead of the factory stock FW, but no further. I don't have Dynamic QoS available, if that puts a timeline to it. I'll read up on the processes for new FW, but in the end after last night it is looking like I might just have to bite the bullet and upgrade the firmware to the most recent. If it doesn't do the trick, 3rd party FW it is and if that doesn't work out.. new router ;_;

And yeah, @GabeU could you believe that isn't the first time that's happened!? Major yuck

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Amanda - Could always get a Ubiquity firewall appliance, a dedicated WAP, and switch with a unifi key... Probably WAY outside your budget, but they are nice products. >.>

I saw R7000 and immediately thought "ICOM"

s-l1600.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Amandawrote:

this giant London-wipee sized chunk of "YES IM HERE" beacons  

OMG.  That thing is just beyond disgusting!!!!  "YES I'M HERE, AND I'M EXTREMELY GROSS!"  😛  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That's nasty,  ETA: But hey, people are wiping, so that's a plus, right? LOL

@GabeUwrote:

@Amandawrote:

this giant London-wipee sized chunk of "YES IM HERE" beacons  

OMG.  That thing is just beyond disgusting!!!!  "YES I'M HERE, AND I'M EXTREMELY GROSS!"  😛  

You can't wipe away the shame @maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE I'm more in the range of my-significant-other-has-an-employee-discount-at-bestbuy price 😄