cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TestMy.net to compare your speed to others on your beam

Highlighted
Senior

Re: Using TestMy.net to compare your speed to others on your beam

As anyone that has followed the thread above may have noticed, there is a button to display the data behind the median and average shown. So you can review the individual test results and copy them to exclude the suspicious results created by miscreants, nefarious individuals, dirty birds, or friendly flounder that may have been engaged in salting the beam with wild scores for fun or profit.

Ah! Netflix time! Personally, I like buffering because birds are incontinent by nature and I can use the breaks, so prime time here I come!  HD

Distinguished Professor IV

@MrBuster wrote:

So you can review the individual test results and copy them to exclude the suspicious results created by miscreants, nefarious individuals, dirty birds, or friendly flounder that may have been engaged in salting the beam with wild scores for fun or profit. 

Or the more likely reason, which is a legitimately faulty test and result, which many HughesNet subscribers who use testmy.net on a regular basis will eventually see.  I've had them myself, and when they happen I always delete them.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Occam's razor. 

@GabeU wrote:

Or the more likely reason, which is a legitimately faulty test and result, which many HughesNet subscribers who use testmy.net on a regular basis will eventually see.  I've had them myself, and when they happen I always delete them.

Highlighted
Senior

The comment about suspicious results was related to the laugh we had about the idea of running a bunch of tests at 4am to "salt the beam" to make it look good, but the point of faulty test runs is a fair point. In looking at results, it seems that wrong test size is far more likely to be something to filter out.

Anyway, the idea is that it is possible to compare your test results with others in your area with the caveat that some users may be on J1, and so a different beam. In looking at the cities associated with my results, the majority are relatively close to the beam center, and so it promised little overlap with a J1 beam, but with the numbers that maratsade gave, it is obvious there is a high probability that users from J1 and J2 will be listed in the data of a single city.

On the good side, glancing around numerous cities along the east coast gives a demonstration that the majority of customers have good performance since the average score is often 25Mbps to 35Mbps even with the test result records with incorrect small test sizes included.  This means the good test results I am seeing are not unusual.

Having a way to show objective evidence that other users in an area are having decent performance can help to rule out that the problem is at the gateway or with the beam. Poor scores in an area do not prove anything, but do not exclude anything either.

How often have you seen somebody proclaim that the problem is with beam or the gateway? As users without any inside information regarding the system there is no way to say. With the TestMy.net database, when a user has an issue and presents a TestMy.net record, it is possible to compare the results with other user's test results in the area potentially providing some demonstration of what the problem is NOT, and helping with the process of troubleshooting.

Do you not see any value in that?

Highlighted

"The comment about suspicious results was related to the laugh we had about the idea of running a bunch of tests at 4am to "salt the beam" to make it look good"

This task has been assigned to you, Agent B.  How are you doing with this? Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Senior

@maratsade wrote:

This task has been assigned to you, Agent B.  How are you doing with this? Smiley Wink

Not good -- I am paid chicken feed, and I slept in.  I am night blind anyway....but if I get some good results I will be sure to crow about it!

Highlighted

Excuses, excuses!  HQ has been notified. ;P

@MrBuster wrote:

Not good -- I am paid chicken feed, and I slept in.  I am night blind anyway....but if I get some good results I will be sure to crow about it!

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@MrBuster wrote: 

How often have you seen somebody proclaim that the problem is with beam or the gateway? As users without any inside information regarding the system there is no way to say. With the TestMy.net database, when a user has an issue and presents a TestMy.net record, it is possible to compare the results with other user's test results in the area potentially providing some demonstration of what the problem is NOT, and helping with the process of troubleshooting.

Do you not see any value in that?

I can see some value in it, but to be honest, not a lot as it is, and here's why I say this...

1.  The locations at testmy.net are too inconsistent.  For individuals, the locations chosen may be in their actual beam area at some times, but not at others, and the converse is true, as in others who are not in a specific beam area being linked to locations which are.   

2.  Many areas have multiple beams covering them, including those by both Jupiter satellites (ES17 and ES19).  As well, there are likely a few "stragglers" still on the older satellite(s) with daily refill plans, which could skew the area results even further when it comes to the information being gleaned from the "local" tests.   

3.  Beams assigned to a specific gateway can affect the performance of the other beams assigned to the same, skewing what an individual beam might actually be capable of at a given time, which could fluctuate from one moment to the next.

Again, though I can see value in it, to get a realistic, even somewhat accurate idea of what each beam is doing, it would require significant participation, and with more info than testmy.net itself can provide.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Something I think I need to point out:

The testing done on TestMy will only show something particular to that beam when people using the same beam get like results at the same time, but those on other beams using the same gateway get something different. That would prove there's something that's specific to just that particular beam.

If all beams on a gateway have the same symptoms at the same time it might mean there is a problem with the gateway, but it's not definite. It could also mean there's a problem anywhere between the gateway and the TestMy server, since they'd all likely be using the same route.

A good example was the widespread outage that CenturyLink had a few weeks ago, which affected the San Diego gateway. Think you'll find this kind of thing is a lot more common than the gateway going down.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Senior

Good points all.

I was just looking for the case where all descent tests by all users associated with a city scored well, as that implies no problem within some recent time period.

Considering two threads (titles in bold below are the threads):

Slow speed

In looking at a city for the user, I could see that all test results were bad.  Of course a huge number of the tests used a test size that was far too small, and thus would give a bad score because the latency "put a thumb" on the scale so to speak.  Nothing here to say what the problem is, or if there really is a problem -- but it does not say it is good either.  The engineers did something and performance improved for multiple customers.

Slow internet speed

In looking at a city for this user, I saw other users with good scores at the same time this user had low scores.  Of course it could be a J1 beam vs J2 beam thing, but the results hinted that this is not an issue everyone is facing.  In the end, it appears that the issue was that "multithreading" was turned on.  In looking in the history, the users tests were good before this feature was turned on, so the multithreading test may have been the issue.

Perhaps a Big Chungus was lodged in the Level 3 pipes between one of the servers used for the multithread test and the gateway causing the whole test score to look bad. :-)