Well, it happened...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, it happened...

For the first time ever, or at least since upgrading to a monthly refill plan in Feb 2016, I ran out of data.  I've also never used so much Bonus Zone data.  And I blame it on @maratsade and @BirdDog.  These two talking about PlayOn Cloud!!!   

Just kidding, guys!  I wish I had started using it much sooner.  🙂  

FYI:  I found out that my Smart TV puts out enough power via its USB port to run an external USB HDD, and I've been watching things from said HDD using my TV's built in player.  And not only that, but I also discovered that I can burn the mp4s to DVDs, and probably BluRay discs, and they can be played on my BluRay player.  Talk about PlayOn Cloud being worth it!  I'll never look back.  🙂  

Capture.JPG

13 REPLIES 13
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lol......definitely provides a way to use Bonus bytes.

I got far enough to get on Playon's email list but didn't continue.    Back when Avatar first came out, a friend loaned me the DVD.   I later bought it on Blu-ray and was amazed at how much better it looked on Blu-ray, so I decided to wait for GoT to come out on Blu-ray.  Does Playon support Blu-ray quality?  If so, that would really take a lot of data.

I'm glad you like it!   Although I would be upset to use that much data so fast.  I'm still a 10 gig wonder.  :>)>

BTW all of this is still copyrighted material, and copying it around may be illegal.  I surprised one of the lawyers here hasn't pointed that out.   Well, the way I feel about it is: So!  Arrest me!   :>)>

@gaines_wright - was curious about the same thing too. see here: https://www.playon.tv/blog/playon-legal

Thanks for the link.  Actually, I did some research on the web about this including reading that article.   After hours of reading boring legal stuff,  I came to the conclusion that the legal status of files downloaded from PlayOn is iffy.

Making copies is probably technically illegal, but I didn't find a case where anyone was sued or prosecuted.  IMO another one of those things the big media companies would love to stop people from doing, but are unable to do so.

Now if we could just get rid of the bundling of TV stations.

maratsade

The system functions as a cloud-based DVR and is covered, legally, by copyright and usage rules that apply to DVRs.   There are no cases against the company because they are not in violation of copyright law and so there is no cause for action. 

@maratsade wrote:

The system functions as a cloud-based DVR and is covered, legally, by copyright and usage rules that apply to DVRs.   There are no cases against the company because they are not in violation of copyright law and so there is no cause for action. 

I think the legality of DVRs is based on a decision by the Ninth Circuit Court, one of the most reversed circuit courts in the country.  I think the media companies have given up trying to stop DVRs and POC though. That said, the minute you make a copy you're technically in violation of copyright laws.

Don't get me wrong, I'm strickly on the consumers side in this, and love it then the media companies lose.  For an example of media company greed: Warner held the copyright on "Happy Birthday to You" and wanted as much as $700 every time it was sung at birthday parties.  How they were able to get a copyright in the first place is a mystery to me, since the tune was written in 1893,  If that's the way our present copyright laws are written IMO they need to be changed.  Thank goodness Warner eventually lost and had to pay $14 million in damages. 

Take that!  Big greedy media company!  :>)>

maratsade

DVR recordings are legal under copyright law's fair use doctrine, and the courts have consistently upheld this doctrine. 

"DVR recordings are legal under copyright law's fair use doctrine, and the courts have consistently upheld this doctrine."

I hope it stays that way, but looking at the history of the music file sharers, I have my doubts, 

Also it seems that you can't make a copy and give it to somebody.

From First Circuit Court, Sony BMG Music Entertainment v Tenebaum:

"Although the First Circuit Court, in its opinion, recommends Congress to reanalyze its copyright laws

..."

Amen!

"Peer-to-peer file sharing of copyrighted works by individuals for the purpose of "enjoyment" is not fair use."

Boooo!

Did I just accidentally stumble into a legal forum?  :>)>

/me woke up just to say:

something something USENET search engine something something

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

• File sharing violates copyright.
  • Fair use does not apply to file sharing, and is not a copyright violation. 
  • Fair use provides for a copy for personal use, such as that obtained via a DVR or the old VCRs (or in the case of print media, photocopying)   
  • When the user shares the file, fair use no longer applies. 
  • The suggested reforms to copyright law will likely not impact fair use negatively. 
GabeU

I need to relax.  This month I used more than four times the data I normally use.  😮  

Capture.JPG

maratsade

I think I should get some kickbacks from PlayOn Cloud, for sending them new subscribers.  😉

@GabeU wrote:

For the first time ever, or at least since upgrading to a monthly refill plan in Feb 2016, I ran out of data.  I've also never used so much Bonus Zone data.  And I blame it on @maratsade and @BirdDog.  These two talking about PlayOn Cloud!!!