Hughesnet Community

What are your hobbies?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liz

What are your hobbies?

Long time no post! This article was brought to my attention and it actually has some interesting infographics on it about hobbyists' reliance on the internet.

I'm curious, what hobbies do you have for which you use the internet a lot? How do you use the internet with your hobby?

Or do you not need the internet at all? If the latter, I'm super interested in hearing what hobby that is and why.

For example, I picked up baking while in quarantine and found all my recipes by Googling or via Instagram. I'd follow the recipe on my phone as I worked in the kitchen. Sometimes I'd share progress pics and vids in my Instagram stories. If the end product looks photogenic then I'll post it on my feed.

Hope to read about your pastimes!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Glad to have this section back!

I do some gardening, and use the internet (along with books) to find information related to vegetables, dealing with pests, gardening methods, and also to buy stuff. 

GabeU

I think my biggest hobby probably IS the internet, or at least computers and the internet.   

With that said, I'm a history buff, and I use the net to read a lot of articles and Wikipedia pages, especially those related to WWII.  I can get lost for hours in WWII related Wiki pages, going from page to page via links.  Sometimes, before I realize it, I'll have a couple dozen tabs open with pages I want or mean to read, and I then close them because I've run out of time.  LOL.  

My biggest hobby with using the internet is painting and baking. I love going to the paint and sips with friends, but sometimes I enjoy painting on my own, although, I need to follow someone else painting. XD Baking is my zen!

-Felicia

maratsade

Felicia and Liz, what things do you like baking?

I love painting too, Felicia! I'm participating in a couple art challenges for this month where the themes are ocean creatures and other nautical things. I think I've only painted a silouette of boat once before... this will be interesting.

As for baking... I like cookies because they're relatively quick and easy to bake; oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are a family fave. Milk bread is another satisfying thing to bake, so squishy and delicious- a loaf of that doesn't last long in my house!

maratsade, have you had success growing veggies? I think the idea of homegrown food is awesome, but I'm not sure I have the patience for it LOL

Gabe, I'm the same way ahaha. With a vast sea of information at your fingertips, it can be easy to fall down many rabbit holes. XD A long form article about the British monarchy came across my Twitter feed and it sucked me in. I got sidetracked and looked into all the current and historic Royal Standards of the UK because I didn't know what the article meant by "Royal Standard". XD

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

I've had some success with growing green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash,  and others. It's not perfect, and fighting destructive bugs is a neverending thing, but overall it's a fun hobby.

"I didn't know what the article meant by "Royal Standard".  Colonials!  😁😁😁😁

Jay

Too many hobbies and while in quarantine, I've been adding even more. Reading (comics and novels as well) Going back and reading some of the classics most recently. I have been a regular at the used book store for a few months now Vinyl record hunting/collecting/listening Bass playing Video Games Teaching myself to cook using YouTube tutorials Trying to keep the plants in my apartment alive while continually adding new ones Hiking (Try to go on one hike a week at least) Also, weight lifting 3-4 times a week if that counts as a hobby. I can't be adding any more T_T