GEN-5 Speed faster than advertised

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larrykelly
Junior

GEN-5 Speed faster than advertised

I ran a speed test using a utility different than HughesNet's and got the same excellent results. Notice the test results from a year ago of GEN-4 which I considered pretty good at the time. I just upgraded a couple days ago.

Larry

IMG_6595.PNGIMG_6596.PNG

34 REPLIES 34
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The speeds may be correct but the latency definitely isn't. That low of latency is impossible on satellite.

The satellite isn't loaded much right now, would expect the speed to eventually drop nearer to advertised.

I for 1 am tickled pink to have seen nothing less than 46Mbps since switching last Thuirsday. Awesome. My doc says 25Mbps is the bottom, which compares favorably with the sometimes < 1 Mbs over the pas many years. 25 will be sweet, if it ever gets that bad. Go Zags. 

When I built my house it was surrounded by large corn fields on three sides. Today it's just part of the crowd. 

Let's enjoy the wide open space while we can 😀

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Just for the heck of it, because I am at the end of my data cycle and still have a considerable amount left, I did some playing around.  I downloaded a 1.68GB Linux Mint installation file just to see how long it would take.  The entire file only took five minutes and ten seconds, and the download speed was phenomenal!  It's almost shocking.  

It almost feels like it's FIOS.  LOL. 

Capture1.JPG

A speed of 5.70MBps (45.6Mbps) is awesome!  

I am not sure if anyone has gone through their data for the month yet, but are there any stats on what the speed is once you pop your cap on Gen5?

@tampasteve1 wrote:

I am not sure if anyone has gone through their data for the month yet, but are there any stats on what the speed is once you pop your cap on Gen5?

I have been trying to FAP but I am in the 20 day resets since my install was considered a new install...  I think someone at DSLR managed to FAP a unit and it showed ~3Mbps peak for their FAP speed, of course that's likely to change as time goes on.  Once I FAP my unit, I will try to get some test results.

@GW I have seen a very steady and stable speed with my Gen5 unit...  http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=250&z=30&q=C0RR0SIVE

GW
Advanced Tutor

Thanks. All I see for primetime testing is on Sunday 3/19 but those held up very well compared to the misery inflicted upon users of E17 Beam 55

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
GW
Advanced Tutor

I got a copy on that. It tells the tale regardless. No 99% drops in performance due to the time of day.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:
@GW I have seen a very steady and stable speed with my Gen5 unit...  http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=250&z=30&q=C0RR0SIVE

That will likely also change as time goes on and loading increases. Especially the 40+ speeds.

GW
Advanced Tutor

My first G5 upload test went splat but recovered nicely. Unbelievable speeds for Friday night primetime. 40+ Mbps trumps 400 Kbps.

first tests.JPG

Very nice!

I maxed out everything doing a binge watch of Lost.  I was "FAPPED"!  Under these conditions, when I tested speed, I was downloading at 2.0-3.0 mbps.  Upload speed remained unchanged at ~ 3.0 mbps.

GW
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU wrote:

Just for the heck of it, because I am at the end of my data cycle and still have a considerable amount left, I did some playing around.  I downloaded a 1.68GB Linux Mint installation file just to see how long it would take.  The entire file only took five minutes and ten seconds, and the download speed was phenomenal!  It's almost shocking.  

It almost feels like it's FIOS.  LOL. 

A speed of 5.70MBps (45.6Mbps) is awesome!  

Gabe,

How well does this hold up during primetime?

I decided to test with my 10 Mbps G4 plan and here's what I got. The bite is, yesterday at 6 PM I was trying to do something with my schizonet and was getting 481 kbps which made it Mission Impossible.

tues am.JPGmint dl.JPG

Another question: how does your G5 RSS number compare to your G4 number?

GabeU

@GW wrote:

Gabe,

How well does this hold up during primetime? 

It's holding up great.  No drop in speed to speak of.  Then again, the satelite and beams barely have any load at this time.

And I imagine, due to ES19's much larger capacity than ES17 and the time it will take to load the satellite, gateways and/or beams to a state where it starts to have an effect on prime time speeds, it's going to be some time before anything changes.  

GW
Advanced Tutor

Thanks Gabe. How does your G5 RSS number compare to your G4 number?

Your computer looks a lot like mine. FX-6300, Samsung SSD boot drive and a couple of WD Blacks with 16 GB RAM

GabeU

@GW

My signal strenth for Gen4 normally sat in the low 120s, while my Gen5 varies between about 95 and 105, with it normally, so far, sitting around 102 or 103.  The lower signal strength doesn't seem to matter, though, as my connection is great.  I have run some ping tests and Hughesnet's own tests and have had zero packet loss with every one of them.  

As for my computer, it's been pretty good.  I'm not a gamer, so the fact that there was a big uproar about the FX core not being what it claimed to be after it was releasd didn't really affected me.  It did make me a little disappointed, though, and it has made me a little more hesitant about jumping right in with the Ryzen like I did with the FX.  Still, I do want to build a new desktop some time in the near future and it probably will be with the Ryzen, and by the time I do I'm sure the prices will have come down a bit, as well.  

And the Samsung SSDs...great, aren't they?  Fast, too!  I actually have one in my laptop and notebook, too, with the desktop and laptop being the 840 EVO and the notebook being the standard 840.  All three are 250GB drives.  I took my original Crucial 128GB SSD, the first SSD I ever bought, and installed it in my folks' Samsung laptop and it breathed new life into it.  

GW
Advanced Tutor

I'm wondering what to expect for RSS on G5. I used to get 170-ish with G3 on a clear day and I get 130-140 with G4 since I'm only 35 miles west of beam center. If I see 95 with G5, I'll know to have him try again.

I use my computer for business only. I've been very happy with the FX-6300 since I got it 2½ years ago so I don't know anything about a controversy. I did have to RMA the Asus motherboard right away because of a bad USB 3 port. I got it from Newegg and they always do advance RMA for me so I was down for the time it took me to change the parts. I think I have a couple more years before I have to start researching a new CPU. The less I know, the happier I am

Yes, the Samsung SSD is great. I have the 850 PRO 512GB and I love it. Sammy stuff is good stuff. We have a ton of it here. The most amazing thing about the SSD is how quickly it boots a W7 computer. I'll never go back to a normal drive for a boot drive.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

*coughs* I am almost center of beam and sitting at 102 at this moment, but most all day have been at 95... Weather conditions all day today, crystal clear sunny skies.  As far as the dish passes OVT and works, not much anyone can do to force the installer to peak any higher.  But, if you are close to being center of beam on J1, you are probably closer to edge of beam on J2, and vice verse.

http://www.montanasatellite.com/services/satellite-internet-services/hughesnet/hughesnet-gen5-monthl...

GW
Advanced Tutor

We're solid overcast with massive cumulonimbus coming in off the gulf tonight so my signal is low.

signal.JPG